There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trade Down from 13 to 22

If you look at the CBS revised rankings, and you want OL, the first round in the low 20's is full of talent we could use:
20 Anthony Davis OT
21 Sergio Kindle OLB
22 Mike Lupati OG
23 Brandon Graham OLB
24 Bryan Bulaga OT
25 Dan Williams DT
27 Bruce Campbell OT

Trade down from 13 to 22 is worth 370 pts, which equals pick #53.
49 Terrence Cody DT
52 Jerry Hughes OLB
54 Perrish Cox CB
58 Jon Asamoah OG

17 Anthony Davis OT or Earl Thomas FS, or whomever falls if there is a run on OTs?
22 Mike Lupati OG or Bryan Bulaga OT, or Bruce Campbell OT
45 Brandon Spikes ILB, Chad Jones, SS, Charles Brown OT, Terrence Cody DT,
53 Jerry Hughes OLB, Perrish Cox CB, Jon Asamoah G

If there is an early run on OTs, (usually is) take a tackle at 17. If there are still a few on the board, take an OT at 22 and see who falls to 17.

By trading down, we can get a good OT, and either Lupati or Asamoah at OG, and two potential game changers: Golden Tate WR, Thomas FS, Perrish Cox, CB, Jerry Hughes OLB, Brandon Spikes ILB, or Mount Cody for NT.
The Niners are not that far away from contending and they do not NEED any more picks. They have eight this year and that is plenty. Why would the Niners move back 9 spots when they have a chance to get an almost top 10 talent right where they are? That additional pick is meaningless.
You really trust the cbs rankings, don't you. Too bad the NFL teams won't follow the cbs rankings.
Originally posted by kronik:
You really trust the cbs rankings, don't you. Too bad the NFL teams won't follow the cbs rankings.
and you will find a lot of foolish GMs out there who love to reach...not only al davis
I don't know, the chances that 5 OTs go within the first 16 picks aren't that bad. That's not to say we wouldn't get a potentially great player, but I don't know that I'm willing to take that risk.
Originally posted by MertonHanks:
I don't know, the chances that 5 OTs go within the first 16 picks aren't that bad. That's not to say we wouldn't get a potentially great player, but I don't know that I'm willing to take that risk.

Remember a few years back when a run on OTs happened on the top of the 1st round? It's possible it might happen again this year.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
The Niners are not that far away from contending and they do not NEED any more picks. They have eight this year and that is plenty. Why would the Niners move back 9 spots when they have a chance to get an almost top 10 talent right where they are? That additional pick is meaningless.

You are right on the money!! If anything we should trade our 2nd and 3rd, worth a total of 600 points and get another pick in the 1st (#31).. We could get 3 starters and hopefully that would be 2 OL and 1 DB and presto we are in the playoffs.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by MertonHanks:

Remember a few years back when a run on OTs happened on the top of the 1st round? It's possible it might happen again this year.

I can't tell if you are informing me or reinforcing my point...
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Having close picks does help the cause to trade down. If Iupati, Davis, Bulaga are all on the board, it would be safe to trade down and select at least one of those players with the Panthers draft pick.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

You are right on the money!! If anything we should trade our 2nd and 3rd, worth a total of 600 points and get another pick in the 1st (#31).. We could get 3 starters and hopefully that would be 2 OL and 1 DB and presto we are in the playoffs.

Now that would be a bold move. I just don't know how the Niners front office and ownership would feel about paying three first round picks in the same season.

I'd be open to trading next year's first rounder if we can pick up another this year. But only to select Iupati or Spiller if we haven't already.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Excuse me, but there is no presto that puts us in the play-offs. The games have to be played.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Now that would be a bold move. I just don't know how the Niners front office and ownership would feel about paying three first round picks in the same season.

That's an angle I haven't though of before, but I don't think the Niners FO will do that. Judging from past history (which there isn't much of with McC), he seems to be the kind of guy to trade back, not up.

Trading back to 22 isn't really feasible anyway. That's New England and they have built a dynasty on 2nd and 3rd round picks (I think they have 3 second round picks in this year's draft). Seattle might be willing to trade their 1b up, but I'm loathe to trade a higher first round choice to a division rival.
It's going to be a very interesting draft with a ton of choices for us.