There are 134 users in the forums

YOU are on the clock...

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Bay_Area_Fan:
I'm curious to see OTC, MadDog, or any of the webzone's other draft gurus to look back and analyze some of the different draft picks (biggest reach, biggest steal, team with best overall draft, etc.) There weren't too many headscratchers that I recall, except for Lee Ziemba who didn't even declare for the draft.

Just doing a quick skim, I want to be fair and at least select a few of each. I was working off my own board, so it's a little harder for me to sit here and be objective, but I want to get as many people some credit here as I can.

A bit of this is post-All Star game hindsight, so keep that in mind as well.

Biggest reaches:
RB Joe McKnight in the 2nd. (By kronik)
OT Ciron Black in the 2nd. (By GhostofFredDean74)
OG Thomas Austin in the 5th -- I'll put my pick here, as I definitely reached for Minny out of both need and scarcity. (By OnTheClock)
OT Tony Washington in the 4th. (Ninerjohn)

Biggest steals:
WR Jeremy Williams in the 5th round, WR Jacoby Ford in the 4th . (NinerJohn)
CB Devin McCourty in the middle of the 3rd round, TE Jimmy Graham in the 6th. (OTC)
CB Alterraun Verner in the 6th round, FS Robert Johnson in the 5th. (GoFD)
WR Carlton Mitchell in the 5th (solid)
WR D. Thomas in the 4th (Bay_Area)

Originally posted by solidg2000:
I'm curious to see OTC, MadDog, or any of the webzone's other draft gurus to look back and analyze some of the different draft picks (biggest reach, biggest steal, team with best overall draft, etc.) There weren't too many headscratchers that I recall, except for Lee Ziemba who didn't even declare for the draft.

Just doing a quick skim, I want to be fair and at least select a few of each. I was working off my own board, so it's a little harder for me to sit here and be objective, but I want to get as many people some credit here as I can.

Biggest reaches:
OG Thomas Austin in the 5th -- I'll put my pick here, as I definitely reached for Minny out of both need and scarcity. (By OnTheClock)

Biggest steals:
CB Devin McCourty in the middle of the 3rd round, TE Jimmy Graham in the 6th. (OTC)

If you like, I can add yours too!

Biggest reaches:

Biggest steals:

Mines is on there Carlton Mitchell

Biggest reaches:

Biggest steals:

I meant reaches but you only made like 11 picks or so, not enough to have any real reaches. I just counted mine .. and lost count when I got to the 7th round.

It's 40+

I need to take a break...
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 4, 2010 at 8:31 PM ]

Biggest reaches:

Biggest steals:

I meant reaches but you only made like 11 picks or so, not enough to have any real reaches. I just counted mine .. and lost count when I got to the 7th round.

It's 40+

I need to take a break...

I had 15 thank you very much
I have 2 jobs, give me a break
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Well done. It will be interesting to compare this initial 7 rd mock to one we do in April .

By the way... where did Superbowl run off to? I think he left us.

Missed the entire 7th round.

All the picks have now been updated. Sorry it took a few days for me to finish the 7th round, I'm a pre-med student and have been very busy. But I had been keeping up with the picks on my iphone, just didn't have time to do any updates.

Great work everyone, this was a lot of fun and it will be very interesting to compare it to the one we do at the end of March.
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Well done. It will be interesting to compare this initial 7 rd mock to one we do in April .

By the way... where did Superbowl run off to? I think he left us.

Missed the entire 7th round.

All the picks have now been updated. Sorry it took a few days for me to finish the 7th round, I'm a pre-med student and have been very busy. But I had been keeping up with the picks on my iphone, just didn't have time to do any updates.

Great work everyone, this was a lot of fun and it will be very interesting to compare it to the one we do at the end of March.

Yeah, props to superbowl and everyone involved. I was just an observer, but this is a cool look at the draft.
By the way, I was going to make some changes in the way we do the next mock, but I wanted to know what everyone thinks. Would you rather have two different threads? One where you only post picks, and then another where you discuss the picks? I think it would make it more organized. On the next one I am also going to keep an updated list on the best players still available by position. Maybe some of you guys could help me out with that -- OTC, Ghost, or anyone else who feels so inclined. This will help a lot to prevent people from picking players that have already been chosen. Any other ideas on how we could improve the way we do the next mock?
[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:48 AM ]
[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
By the way, I was going to make some changes in the way we do the next mock, but I wanted to know what everyone thinks. Would you rather have two different threads? One where you only post picks, and then another where you discuss the picks? I think it would make it more organized. On the next one I am also going to keep an updated list on the best players still available by position. Maybe some of you guys could help me out with that -- OTC, Ghost, or anyone else who feels so inclined. This will help a lot to prevent people from picking players that have already been chosen. Any other ideas on how we could improve the way we do the next mock?

I prefer 1 thread and I think it was fine the way it was. It shouldnt be hard to pick players that havent been chosen as long as the first page is updated with the picks.

Biggest reaches:

Biggest steals:

Yea, I probably overreached big time with McKnight. I just think he has good size, good speed and has been very productive with the limited chances he's had.

A side question: What is your opinion about people mock drafting McCluster in the 2nd after senior bowl?

To me, he didnt silence the critic's concerns that his small size may be a problem in the NFL (fumble from a normal tackle in senior bowl).
Yes, he showed alot of skills in practice, but they don't allow tackling in practice. I remember Mayock talking about his conversations with GM's that they wouldn't take him higher than round 3 due to his size. Do you think that's still the case?

Also curious about how you feel with Kyle Wilson's jump in some people's mocks (all the way to 1st round).
Originally posted by kronik:

Biggest reaches:

Biggest steals:

Yea, I probably overreached big time with McKnight. I just think he has good size, good speed and has been very productive with the limited chances he's had.

A side question: What is your opinion about people mock drafting McCluster in the 2nd after senior bowl?

To me, he didnt silence the critic's concerns that his small size may be a problem in the NFL (fumble from a normal tackle in senior bowl).
Yes, he showed alot of skills in practice, but they don't allow tackling in practice. I remember Mayock talking about his conversations with GM's that they wouldn't take him higher than round 3 due to his size. Do you think that's still the case?

Also curious about how you feel with Kyle Wilson's jump in some people's mocks (all the way to 1st round).

There are several fringe Corners that could sneak into the first round, and the combine will play a big part in that. From McCourty to Wilson to Franks, there are quite a few. I'm not ready to predict anything just yet, but if there were no combine, I'd have Wilson going in the 2nd right now.

I, personally, wouldn't draft Dexter until the 3rd, and I completely disagree with comments that say he could sneak into the first -- there are far too many players with more talent as WELL as more size and speed than McCluster for him to go that high. Quote me and bring this back on draft day if it happens and tell me I was wrong, because I just don't see it happening. The 2nd is possible, but not round one. Not on a utility player. I'm not too keen on taking Dex in the 2nd. The 3rd, sure.
I think I was amazing and had hardly any reaches and tons of steals.

Share 49ersWebzone