LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 285 users in the forums

YOU are on the clock...

i'm eating my words for this one, one hell of a mock ! i didn't think you would complete the whole draft

great job guys
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
On the clock......you and Maddog seems to be the player experts.

A couple of questions......do you think this mock is a legitimate draft or somewhat close to what could happen? (I know this is hard to predict.) But you think people are making good choices?

Second are you going to analyze the draft after the rounds are done to say whether this draft could happen and how the teams did. I know it's a lot of work but it seems like you are into it. You should at the very least give us a break down of the Niners draft after the mock.

I know it's hard to say before the combine because the 40 times are going to stand out there and some players will be exposed and hyped as they always do.

Also how did you get so good into rating the players.....do you watch a ton of college football? What's your secret?

Long ago, I began devoting countless hours to studying individual players. Not only by watching every single possible player I can find, but also researching by looking into every possible source on virtually every possible player. Over time, the "notable guys stand out" and once you learn who the most noteworthy players are, you can cut down who you pay the most attention to to around 400-500 players.

Still a hefty task no doubt, but it makes things somewhat less difficult. However, analyzing every single, solitary, minute detail in each aspect of a players game requires not only extensive knowledge of the game of football, but a passion for learning and studying these things. A passion that I have. The longer you do this, the better you get at evaluating players on each basis that you can possibly judge them on.

I originally forced myself to do this because I sought to join the scouting ranks. However, I received word that scouting isn't quite all it's cracked up to be, and most often sucks the fun out of watching games. Sure, if you can work your way up, the perks increase. But it's not as simple as sitting back with a little notepad jotting little notes here or there. It's far more extensive. You get involved with interviewing players, etc.

I find that I enjoy the way I do things now, and I'll keep it that way. Although I do not possess the time or resources to start a website or anything, I can spend my time here providing knowledge to the common fan who doesn't know or have the will (I understand not everyone enjoys creating spreadsheets of players) to compile information and profile reports. It comes easy to me, so I do it.

That's it, in a nutshell.
It seems like this has pretty come down to 4 of us doing this draft.. Clock, Ghost, Solidg, and me. Superbowl has done a great job of putting this together and making some picks as well.

I wont claim to be as knowledgable as Ghost and OTC but I think this mock is going to be as good as any you will find out there on the net at this point. Are there a few mistakes.. sure. However, I kind of think its pretty realistic. OTC? What do you think?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
It seems like this has pretty come down to 4 of us doing this draft.. Clock, Ghost, Solidg, and me. Superbowl has done a great job of putting this together and making some picks as well.

I wont claim to be as knowledgable as Ghost and OTC but I think this mock is going to be as good as any you will find out there on the net at this point. Are there a few mistakes.. sure. However, I kind of think its pretty realistic. OTC? What do you think?

Hasn't been bad at all considering all the posters we've had early on. As expected, sure, there are a few misplaced players here and there. But overall it seems fairly feasible.

As for the draft this mock has given us -- For the most part, it's nice. The only pick I'm not a fan of is Syd'Quan Thompson. I think most around here can tell I'm quite a critic of the guy, and I can't really see us taking him. We just don't seem to be too into taking smaller defensive backs.

By the way, St. Louis in on the clock. Someone hurry and make the pick (and the next) so I can pick again.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Hasn't been bad at all considering all the posters we've had early on. As expected, sure, there are a few misplaced players here and there. But overall it seems fairly feasible.

As for the draft this mock has given us -- For the most part, it's nice. The only pick I'm not a fan of is Syd'Quan Thompson. I think most around here can tell I'm quite a critic of the guy, and I can't really see us taking him. We just don't seem to be too into taking smaller defensive backs.

By the way, St. Louis in on the clock. Someone hurry and make the pick (and the next) so I can pick again.

I agree on Thompson, that's the only pick I ain't thrilled about, but overall the 49ers have had a great draft.
I'm on my phone and don't have my spread sheet list (I really should try to move it into my phone) but off the top of my head I gave QB FB QB as bpa
and anyways I can't pick yet

As a whole I think this is great. Every year there's players who fall and/or reached for.
There hasn't been too many WTF picks and when there are we usually correct them (exmple: safties back to back for a team)
Originally posted by solidg2000:

I agree on Thompson, that's the only pick I ain't thrilled about, but overall the 49ers have had a great draft.
I'm on my phone and don't have my spread sheet list (I really should try to move it into my phone) but off the top of my head I gave QB FB QB as bpa

As a whole I think this is great. Every year there's players who fall and/or reached for.
There hasn't been too many WTF picks and when there are we usually correct them (exmple: safties back to back for a team)

You or Ghost need to pick. I have the next pick after STL
Originally posted by solidg2000:

You or Ghost need to pick. I have the next pick after STL

Best still available on my TTB.

TEs:
Tony Moeaki, Iowa
Colin Peek, Alabama
Andrew Quarless, Penn State

WRs:
Marcus Easley, Connecticut
Antonio Brown, Central Michigan*

S:
Kurt Coleman, Ohio State
Robert Johnson, Utah
Myron Rolle, Florida State
Kyle McCarthy, Notre Dame
Barry Church, Toledo
Terrell Skinner, Maryland

QB Jarrett Brown, West Virginia

RBs:
Ben Tate, Auburn
Charles Scott, LSU
Chris Brown, Oklahoma
Toney Baker, N.C. State*
Joique Bell, Wayne State

OC Eric Olsen, Notre Dame
OC Ted Larsen, N.C. State

DE Rahim Alem, LSU

DT Corey Peters, Kentucky

ILB Pat Angerer, Iowa

OLBs:
Kevin Basped, Nevada*
Antonio Coleman, Auburn
Kavell Conner, Clemson

CBs:
Alterraun Verner, UCLA
Josh Moore, Kansas State*
St. Louis Rams select Brandon Lang, DE, Troy
Rams finally address their defense and add a pass rusher who they hope can replace the aging Leonard Little.
[ Edited by Bay_Area_Fan on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM ]
Baltimore has grown weary of Todd Heap's many injuries and needs an insurance policy and backup at TE. They select Andrew Quarless from Penn ST. He has first round type talent with a 6'5" 250 frame and runs a 4.59 40. He has had attitude issues which have dropped him to round 5 but Baltimore gets a stud athlete here.
With Warner's pending retirement, Arizona needs depth at QB and someone to backup the erratic Matt Leinart. The Cardinals select the very talented but extremely raw Jarret Brown, QB from WVU.

Fellas....How do you rate the talent in the 2010 draft? If you had to give grades what would you give. It seems like this draft is really deep, but the Homerun type of prospects are very few.

However it also seems that the draft is deep where we need it to be.....

OT (where we are)
Safety
KR/RB/Utility back
DE

QB's - B+
OT - B+
OG - B
TE - No idea?
WR - B -
RB - B+

DE A
DT B
ILB B-
OLB A
Safety A
Corner B-
KR - A
Picks have been updated and Oakland is on the clock...
Oakland could use a little help on the end. If I'm not mistaken, Richard Seymour may be leaving. As a result, the Raiders take DE Rahim Alem, LSU.
Chargers are on the clock...
San Diego takes the BPA on their board and a guy with high character ... they select Rhodes scholar Myron Rolle SS Florida State.
Share 49ersWebzone