There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Best OT pick in 1st round 2010

Best OT pick in 1st round 2010

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'd rank them this way:

1.) Russell Okung (the best pure LT in the draft)
2.) Trent Williams (most versatile and pro-ready)
3.) Bryan Bulaga (reminds me of Harris Barton)
4.) Anthony Davis (excellent RT prospect; question his ability to play LT at a high level)
5.) Bruce Campbell (biggest boom/bust potential)
6.) Charles Brown (excellent pass protection skills; needs to improve in run-blocking)

I think the first two will be gone before we pick, since teams selecting that high (and paying that kind of money to likely come in right away and start) might be more willing to go with battle-tested seniors (Okung and Williams) rather than talented-but-still-very-raw juniors. That said, there's a possibility (IMO) that Bulaga could move up the rankings and possibly be gone by #13 as well.

If Bulaga is there, he's our guy...if not, we'll probably go with either Davis or Campbell.

Ditto. Williams or Bulaga for RT.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I'd rank them this way:

4.) Anthony Davis (excellent RT prospect; question his ability to play LT at a high level)
6.) Charles Brown (excellent pass protection skills; needs to improve in run-blocking)

I think the first two will be gone before we pick, since teams selecting that high (and paying that kind of money to likely come in right away and start) might be more willing to go with battle-tested seniors (Okung and Williams) rather than talented-but-still-very-raw juniors. That said, there's a possibility (IMO) that Bulaga could move up the rankings and possibly be gone by #13 as well.

If Bulaga is there, he's our guy...if not, we'll probably go with either Davis or Campbell.

Doesnt Bulaga have health issues like a thyroid problem?
I'd rank them this way:

Don't rule out a trade down with a team like the Chargers that want to obtain a 3-4 NT in the first round ala Dan Williams.

We could certainly trade back, acquire more daft picks, and still select Charles Brown in that slot (maybe even Iupati).
Originally posted by jreff22:
I'd rank them this way:

For some reason I see Davis being this years Jason Smith and jumping up on draft day....#2 OT, which pushes Williams to us at either pick.

Jason Smith was a former TE and had/has really good feet, so teams saw the potential for a pure LT in him...not sure Davis is quite that nimble (though he's no Jeff Otah), which should prevent him from rising too high in the draft order. He's still a solid mid-1st rounder, maybe even someone the Raiders pick, but I'm not sure he'll pass up Williams (who in his own right isn't a pure LT, but is more of a proven commodity than is Davis).
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
I'd rank them this way:

The latest report is that he won't even require medication to regulate it; it was just something that flared-up, but he was given the all-clear.
I'd rank them this way:

I really like Bulaga after seeing him. He has really good feet. I hope he is available at our #16/#17 slot. There is a chance he won't be and a chance he will. I would like Spiller with 1A and Bulaga with 1B.

Something about that Bulaga guy I like. He knows his angles and has real good technique and good feet. I think he would solve our pass blocking problems at RT.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
I'd rank them this way:

The latest report is that he won't even require medication to regulate it; it was just something that flared-up, but he was given the all-clear.

Didn't he have issues with his knees as well....
Here are the notes I have compiled (stolen!) from around the internet on OT's:

Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State 6'6" 305 5.26
franchise left tackle, long arms and smooth feet, can reach edge against speed rushers, good in space, needs more strength in run blocking, mirrors well

Trent Williams OT Oklahoma 6'5" 308 5.3
tough and nasty, good in space, good run blocking and finishes, quick initial kick step, can reach edge, good footwork, lacks ideal power, can be bull rushed, limited short area quickness exposes him to speed rushers, RT?

Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa 6'6" 312 4.96
big LT with good length, technique and athleticism, gains initial leverage, uses hands well, drives through run blocks, natural in open field, reaches 2nd level easily, patient pass protector, good kick step, can recover after mis-step

Anthony Davis OT Rutgers 6'6" 325 5.28
fluid, good footwork to reach defenders on edge, great range as pass blocker, extends arms well with jolting punch, good balance in space, can get impatient, not as physical in-line run blocker,

Bruce Campbell OT Maryland 6'7" 310 4.97
impressive set of physical and athletic tools, ability to anchor vs. the bull-rush, patient in pass protection, good lateral mobility, quickness to consistently reach the corner vs. speed rushers, needs to do a better job locking onto defenders, ok run blocker

Ciron Black OT LSU 6'5" 325 5.36
moves well for size, RT prospect, thickly built strong lower body, fluid in space, flexible, long arms, experienced, limited range in pass protection, gets to 2nd level

Selvish Capers OT West Virginia 6'5" 298 4.96
athletic run blocker, moves well in space with quickness, can get bullied at point of attack, zone blocking RT, needs better footwork and bulk

Jason Fox OT Miami 6'6" 306 5.16
tall with good footwork, moves in space well, some injuries, good pass protector, seals edge against speed rushers, high intelligence and good intagibles,

Charles Brown OT USC 6'6" 295 5.16
great physical skills, needs to perform, athletic with good body control, lacks power, can be bull rushed, seals defenders in run game, uses leverage well,

Lee Ziemba OT Auburn 6'8" 308 5.18
good length with long arms, good in space, needs development, good in-line blocker, RT prospect

Kyle Calloway OT Iowa 6'7" 318 5.28
RT, smooth/tough/technically sound, solid run blocker, can reach 2nd level but lacks good athleticism in space, good pop on contact, good short area quickness, solid pass blocker except against speed rushers

Sam Young OT Notre Dame 6'8" 328 5.28
RT thickly built with good length, lacks power and struggles to anchor vs bull rush in pass protection, solid run blocker, not flexible, gets too upright on contact, over-extends,

Adam Ulatoski OT Texas 6'8" 305 5.28
run blocking RT, moves well enough and enough length in pass protection, struggles in space, lacks footwork, tends to over extend

Ed Wang OT Virginia Tech 6'5" 309 4.95
tall, lean, quick first step, extends arms well in pass protection and run game, needs to add power, good quickness and body control

Dennis Landolt OT Penn State 6'4" 306 5.26
smooth kick step but gets too high, good coordination in pass protection, good first punch, not physical in run game, guard prospect at next level

Matt Kopa OT Stanford 6'6" 305 5.14
average athlete with some tools, lacks balance and footwork in pass protection, not very physical, can be bullied at point of attack, needs better technique

Will Barker OT Virginia 6'7" 320 5.32
technique and body control for RT, sets edge with quick kick step, good in space pass protecting, allows defenders to disengage, not as coordinated in run game

Rodger Saffold OT Indiana 6'5" 305
good athletic ability off edge but lacks power and balance vs speed rushers, not powerful in-line blocker, zone blocking G?,

Chris Marinelli OT Stanford 6'7" 305 5.23
tall and long armed, versatile, not great athlete, lacks range, gritty player, active feet in pass protection, can be overwhelmed at point of attack but recovers, struggles in space, works hard but not much of in-line blocker

Jeraill McCuller OT North Carolina State 6'7" 335 5.42
massive RT prospect, good athleticism, moves well for size, good kick step to seal corner, struggles redirecting, needs more power in game esp. legs, gets bullrushed

Lee Grimes OT Texas A&M 6'6" 339
RT/G prospect, good flexibility and kick step, needs to extend arms better, struggles with footwork, needs to develop

Brady Bond OT Oklahoma State 6'6" 301 5.18
good first step in run/pass, sets up for pass protection well, lacks lateral mobility against speed rushers and push in run game, developmental zone blocker
Here are the notes I have compiled (stolen!) from around the internet on OT's:

Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State 6'6" 305 5.26
franchise left tackle, long arms and smooth feet, can reach edge against speed rushers, good in space, needs more strength in run blocking, mirrors well

Trent Williams OT Oklahoma 6'5" 308 5.3
tough and nasty, good in space, good run blocking and finishes, quick initial kick step, can reach edge, good footwork, lacks ideal power, can be bull rushed, limited short area quickness exposes him to speed rushers, RT?

Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa 6'6" 312 4.96
big LT with good length, technique and athleticism, gains initial leverage, uses hands well, drives through run blocks, natural in open field, reaches 2nd level easily, patient pass protector, good kick step, can recover after mis-step

Anthony Davis OT Rutgers 6'6" 325 5.28
fluid, good footwork to reach defenders on edge, great range as pass blocker, extends arms well with jolting punch, good balance in space, can get impatient, not as physical in-line run blocker,

Bruce Campbell OT Maryland 6'7" 310 4.97
impressive set of physical and athletic tools, ability to anchor vs. the bull-rush, patient in pass protection, good lateral mobility, quickness to consistently reach the corner vs. speed rushers, needs to do a better job locking onto defenders, ok run blocker

Ciron Black OT LSU 6'5" 325 5.36
moves well for size, RT prospect, thickly built strong lower body, fluid in space, flexible, long arms, experienced, limited range in pass protection, gets to 2nd level

Selvish Capers OT West Virginia 6'5" 298 4.96
athletic run blocker, moves well in space with quickness, can get bullied at point of attack, zone blocking RT, needs better footwork and bulk

Jason Fox OT Miami 6'6" 306 5.16
tall with good footwork, moves in space well, some injuries, good pass protector, seals edge against speed rushers, high intelligence and good intagibles,

Charles Brown OT USC 6'6" 295 5.16
great physical skills, needs to perform, athletic with good body control, lacks power, can be bull rushed, seals defenders in run game, uses leverage well,

Lee Ziemba OT Auburn 6'8" 308 5.18
good length with long arms, good in space, needs development, good in-line blocker, RT prospect

Kyle Calloway OT Iowa 6'7" 318 5.28
RT, smooth/tough/technically sound, solid run blocker, can reach 2nd level but lacks good athleticism in space, good pop on contact, good short area quickness, solid pass blocker except against speed rushers

Sam Young OT Notre Dame 6'8" 328 5.28
RT thickly built with good length, lacks power and struggles to anchor vs bull rush in pass protection, solid run blocker, not flexible, gets too upright on contact, over-extends,

Adam Ulatoski OT Texas 6'8" 305 5.28
run blocking RT, moves well enough and enough length in pass protection, struggles in space, lacks footwork, tends to over extend

Ed Wang OT Virginia Tech 6'5" 309 4.95
tall, lean, quick first step, extends arms well in pass protection and run game, needs to add power, good quickness and body control

Dennis Landolt OT Penn State 6'4" 306 5.26
smooth kick step but gets too high, good coordination in pass protection, good first punch, not physical in run game, guard prospect at next level

Matt Kopa OT Stanford 6'6" 305 5.14
average athlete with some tools, lacks balance and footwork in pass protection, not very physical, can be bullied at point of attack, needs better technique

Will Barker OT Virginia 6'7" 320 5.32
technique and body control for RT, sets edge with quick kick step, good in space pass protecting, allows defenders to disengage, not as coordinated in run game

Rodger Saffold OT Indiana 6'5" 305
good athletic ability off edge but lacks power and balance vs speed rushers, not powerful in-line blocker, zone blocking G?,

Chris Marinelli OT Stanford 6'7" 305 5.23
tall and long armed, versatile, not great athlete, lacks range, gritty player, active feet in pass protection, can be overwhelmed at point of attack but recovers, struggles in space, works hard but not much of in-line blocker

Jeraill McCuller OT North Carolina State 6'7" 335 5.42
massive RT prospect, good athleticism, moves well for size, good kick step to seal corner, struggles redirecting, needs more power in game esp. legs, gets bullrushed

Lee Grimes OT Texas A&M 6'6" 339
RT/G prospect, good flexibility and kick step, needs to extend arms better, struggles with footwork, needs to develop

Brady Bond OT Oklahoma State 6'6" 301 5.18
good first step in run/pass, sets up for pass protection well, lacks lateral mobility against speed rushers and push in run game, developmental zone blocker

Looks like Bulaga is the man for OT on the right side if he is available at no. 13 or 16
As a hawkeye fan, I've watched bulaga a lot and he has all the fundamental skills from a great program for Olineman. Great pick without being a bust risk. Take him at 13 please!!!
Originally posted by kronik:
How can we vote for Anthony Williams if we dont know who he is?

Seriously, I'd prefer the tackle who can easily switch to LT if Staley is out. Trent Williams had his chance this year and wasn't very good. So my pick is Bulaga or Anthony Davis.

I like your reasoning. I didn't know that about Williams.

I'll go with Bulaga.

-9fA
Trent Williams is third in the poll.

The Sporting News has him going 2nd overall in their mock

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-mockdraftwithcollege&prov=tsn&type=lgns
I would be very happy with any of the 3 and because of that would wait until pick 16/17 to draft an OT unless there somehow is an early run on them. I dont see that happening however. Spiller at 1A and the OT at 1B would be sweet.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I would be very happy with any of the 3 and because of that would wait until pick 16/17 to draft an OT unless there somehow is an early run on them. I dont see that happening however. Spiller at 1A and the OT at 1B would be sweet.

It depends on what Seattle does at #6. If they go OT at 6 then we can wait till 16 to get our tackle. But, if they go something else they surely will go tackle at 14 thus, we must take our tackle at 13 or he'll get gobbled up with the next pick. It's the difference between getting the 3rd best OT or the 5th best.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

It depends on what Seattle does at #6. If they go OT at 6 then we can wait till 16 to get our tackle. But, if they go something else they surely will go tackle at 14 thus, we must take our tackle at 13 or he'll get gobbled up with the next pick. It's the difference between getting the 3rd best OT or the 5th best.

If Seattle knows 49ers have to go OT in first round they will probably select at OT at number 6