LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 159 users in the forums

Best OT pick in 1st round 2010

Best OT pick in 1st round 2010

The various mock drafts have 49ers choosing one of these in the first round. Not sure which is best and why.

I left out Russel Okung as he is supposed to be gone by the time the 49ers pick in the first round.

[ Edited by MiamiNiner on Jan 17, 2010 at 05:37:51 ]
I think you mean Anthony Davis, but I don't see him falling to us unfortunately.
Originally posted by tohara3:
I think you mean Anthony Davis, but I don't see him falling to us unfortunately.

Based on everything that I have heard, I agree with you that it would probly be Anthony Davis, and he will most likely rise above our range. I do like Trent Williams as a right tackle as well though.
How can we vote for Anthony Williams if we dont know who he is?

Seriously, I'd prefer the tackle who can easily switch to LT if Staley is out. Trent Williams had his chance this year and wasn't very good. So my pick is Bulaga or Anthony Davis.

[ Edited by kronik on Jan 15, 2010 at 19:15:16 ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I don't know who Anthony Williams is but I voted for him.
Bruce Campbell hands down!
Originally posted by eastbay49er:
Bruce Campbell hands down!

for al davis?
  • cools
  • Veteran
Its great that there are so many top tier OT's this year
think im on the Bulaga wagon atm, but i like all the guys in the top 6,
I also wouldnt mind someone like C.Black in the 2nd or 3rd, and turn him into a guard (which he has also played)

Russell Okung
Anthony Davis
Bruce Campbell
Bryan Bulaga
Trent Williams
Charles Brown

Vladimir Ducasse
Jason Fox
Kyle Calloway
Selvish Capers
Ciron Black
Joseph Barksdale
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by cools:
Its great that there are so many top tier OT's this year
think im on the Bulaga wagon atm, but i like all the guys in the top 6,
I also wouldnt mind someone like C.Black in the 2nd or 3rd, and turn him into a guard (which he has also played)

Yeah this draft is really stocked with great offensive line talent. Overall this is a really deep draft--I think there are prospects who would've gone in the 1st round in other drafts who will slip to the 2nd in this one.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I think it is between Trent Williams or BrianBuluga. Davis has potential but I hate that word. Alex Smith had potential, Aaron Rodgers was more ready to play said Nolan

I'd rank them this way:

1.) Russell Okung (the best pure LT in the draft)
2.) Trent Williams (most versatile and pro-ready)
3.) Bryan Bulaga (reminds me of Harris Barton)
4.) Anthony Davis (excellent RT prospect; question his ability to play LT at a high level)
5.) Bruce Campbell (biggest boom/bust potential)
6.) Charles Brown (excellent pass protection skills; needs to improve in run-blocking)

I think the first two will be gone before we pick, since teams selecting that high (and paying that kind of money to likely come in right away and start) might be more willing to go with battle-tested seniors (Okung and Williams) rather than talented-but-still-very-raw juniors. That said, there's a possibility (IMO) that Bulaga could move up the rankings and possibly be gone by #13 as well.

If Bulaga is there, he's our guy...if not, we'll probably go with either Davis or Campbell.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 16, 2010 at 02:36:52 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like Anthony Davis the best, just a feeling.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
The various mock drafts have 49ers choosing one of these in the first round. Not which is best and why

Sorry, I meant Anthony Davis of Rutgers
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
The various mock drafts have 49ers choosing one of these in the first round. Not which is best and why

I put these three in the poll because most mock drafts have Russel Okung gone by the time the 49ers pick
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'd rank them this way:

1.) Russell Okung (the best pure LT in the draft)
2.) Trent Williams (most versatile and pro-ready)
3.) Bryan Bulaga (reminds me of Harris Barton)
4.) Anthony Davis (excellent RT prospect; question his ability to play LT at a high level)
5.) Bruce Campbell (biggest boom/bust potential)
6.) Charles Brown (excellent pass protection skills; needs to improve in run-blocking)

I think the first two will be gone before we pick, since teams selecting that high (and paying that kind of money to likely come in right away and start) might be more willing to go with battle-tested seniors (Okung and Williams) rather than talented-but-still-very-raw juniors. That said, there's a possibility (IMO) that Bulaga could move up the rankings and possibly be gone by #13 as well.

If Bulaga is there, he's our guy...if not, we'll probably go with either Davis or Campbell.

For some reason I see Davis being this years Jason Smith and jumping up on draft day....#2 OT, which pushes Williams to us at either pick.
Share 49ersWebzone