LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

Rookie cap in the works

you mean the top player will only get $75 million and that is capped?????

The rookie pay scale is a total joke and an insult to veteran players.
Geek, I appreciate that you have studied this issue in considerable detail for your thesis. Please keep us posted in this or any other appropriate thread, as developments in this matter warrant. You are a unique resource for the "zone" in this matter.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Sweet. This is desperately needed. Finally, teams will be able to draft for true need without worrying about who a rook's agent is...

And this is a critical piece of the puzzle. With a fixed amount assigned to each slot, the agents are taken right out of the game. No posturing, no holdouts, no gross overpayments for unknown potential.

I'm thinking I like this rookie cap thing.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Geek, I appreciate that you have studied this issue in considerable detail for your thesis. Please keep us posted in this or any other appropriate thread, as developments in this matter warrant. You are a unique resource for the "zone" in this matter.

No worries. Sport Economics is something I find very interesting, and hope to seek a career in it in due time.

Edit: Also, my sources for the thesis wasn't huffingtonpost, fox news, or fan forums. Academic economic papers (Journal of Economics, Journal of Sports Economics, etc) were used as sources for my research.

[ Edited by GEEK on Jan 14, 2010 at 21:09:31 ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Both parts of that report are very good news.

I've long been an advocate of a rookie pay scale, along with shorter rookie contracts. I'd be fine with a team loading all sorts of incentives into a rookie contract but the guaranteed money is ridiculous. I also think making rookie contracts shorter is a good thing too. Means teams aren't stuck with busts for a long time and players who exceed their value can renegotiate sooner.

Also sounds like there might be progress on extending the CBA as well, which is also good news.
Please, make it happen

Personally I doubt they will get an agreement in place which will impact this year, but fingers crossed
it helps the league out tremendously. i don't get why they never had one in the first place
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

That's still way too much for a rookie.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Your post confuses me, or maybe I am just confused.

Where did you get the figure of $75 million?

Why do you think the rookie pay scale is a total joke and an insult to vetern players?

I think the massive amounts paid to rookies under the current system demeans the vetern players.

The vets have proven their value and put in their time, but a young kid just starting out often makes more money than the best vets.
Share 49ersWebzone