LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Can't pass 2nd rounder

Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by kunged:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I am hearing Colt McCoy has a chance to drop like a stone well into the second round. To me with our current QB situation. If by some miracle he is there we have to take him. He is by no mean who I want in the first round...but in the second...where we pick, he is a steal.

If you dont' want him in the 1st, it likely means you don't see him as a franchise QB. So why get him at all? A late round guy with potential is one thing, but spending a 2nd rounder on someone that doesn't really have the physical tools to make it at the next level seems like a waste

That's the nature of drafting. Not everyone can be a 1st rounder and not every player is envisioned as an immediate starter. Some guys have impressive skills and potential, but they just aren't seen as someone who is ready to be thrown directly into the mix.

There are plenty of successful QBs taken after the 1st and they probably were not seen as franchise QBs when they came out either.

There is a lot of talent to be had for our first three picks, and if picked right they could take us to the next level. I would prefer to take three guys with more potential with those picks, then if we really need a QB next season we can use a first (if Alex and Nate don't pan out).

I have read that Nate was considered a 2nd round talent until the disability thing came out, since Nate has been in the system a year I reckon they McCoy would be the same as Nate is now, so IMO it would be a waste.

I kind of agree. However, I remember Eagles fans being irrate that Reid drafted Kolb in the 2nd. All the draft analysts laughed at the move and considered it a horrible pick because it wasn't a need for them. On the other hand, as soon as McNabb went down and Kolb came in and played well for them, everyone was praising Reid and the organization for having the forsight to Kolb.

Quality depth is essential at the QB position. I hope Davis is the guy, but another QB wouldn't hurt. They're only going to make each other better.

I don't really expect us to take a QB early, but if someone falls, the BPA could be a QB. It's not out of the question.

Reminds me when they drafted McNabb over Ricky Williams and how irate Philly fans were (are).
Speaking of Texas guys, I don't personally think this will happen, but I'm seeing more and more mocks/rankings project Sergio Kindle as a second rounder, with some even having him falling into the thrid.

Again, I don't think that will happen, and we'll see what the audition-bowls and combine do to affect things, but if Kindle is there in the second, I would take him in a heartbeat.

And if by any chance that starts to look likely prior to draft day, it would free us up to take a OT and an OG in the first and then target him with our second rounder.

That would be an ideal start to the draft IMO.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Speaking of Texas guys, I don't personally think this will happen, but I'm seeing more and more mocks/rankings project Sergio Kindle as a second rounder, with some even having him falling into the thrid.

Again, I don't think that will happen, and we'll see what the audition-bowls and combine do to affect things, but if Kindle is there in the second, I would take him in a heartbeat.

And if by any chance that starts to look likely prior to draft day, it would free us up to take a OT and an OG in the first and then target him with our second rounder.

That's how I feel about Hardy. He can easily fall to the 2nd, and I think he's got too much potential to pass on at that point. Reminds me of when Campbell fell to AZ in the 2nd. Now the guy is a monster
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

That's how I feel about Hardy. He can easily fall to the 2nd, and I think he's got too much potential to pass on at that point. Reminds me of when Campbell fell to AZ in the 2nd. Now the guy is a monster

Possibly. That would be a nice pickup in the second and free us up for an non-oline pick in the first.

But even if it's not Kindle, I think we are more likely to get a pass rusher in the second and are better served grabbing the best linemen we can early.

Between this group: Kindle, Hughes, Dunlap, Selvie at least one should be there. Plus there are a few others that might be the ones to drop or some guys who might prove they are worth taking there and not the third round.

It looks like a great spot to get a pass rushing DE or OLB.
From all accounts that I have read so far this draft is loaded at:
DE/OLB
Safety
DT

More so than any other position, DE/OLB stands out even more so than the safeties. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting one in the second as long as he was a legit 1st round prospect like Dunlop, Hardy, Graham, Kindle. I even think Norwood could be had in the third.

However, I have said this before as well as others...DRAFT TWO OLs in the first three picks no matter what. Moreover, make sure one of them is Iupati.

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind seeing this:

Williams
Iupati
Von Miller/Sapp/Hardy/Kindle
R. Jones/Allen/Burnett/Stuckey
BRSA--CB/WR

I originally thought that the best way to go would be RS in the second, but now I am seeing that the talent pool from 32-50 is going to be stacked and that BPA is the best way to go in the second no matter what especially in an area of need.

They keep saying that you can find a quality 3-4 WILL prospects anywhere along the first four rounds. For example, Norwood, a 1st rounder at the begining of the season graded a second now, could be had in the third which, IMO, is a steal.

We can get some great value in the second - fourth rounds where in any other year, it wouldn't happen.

Again, what a great move to trade for this year's first! Way to go Scotty!!!
Share 49ersWebzone