There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can't pass 2nd rounder

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by obx49:
Javier Arenas is another first round prospect that will be there in the second round. I would be elated if we were to land Arenas who would fill two immediate needs.

Since when is Arenas a first rounder?

In any other year, Arenas would definitely be a first round prospect. However, this is such a deep draft class with all the talented players coming out which results in players like Arenas dropping into the second and third rounds.

I doubt it. This year's draft isn't that loaded, kinda weak in CB actually. Arenas doesn't have good size nor good speed. Also, he hasn't been a lockdown CB in college either so I highly doubt he would ever be a 1st rounder.

What about Arenas makes him a 1st rounder? And what CB depth is pushing him down?

That's what I'm saying, he's not a 1st rounder. He just doesnt have the elite athleticism/size/production that would make him one.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I like the sound of Arenas and here are a couple other guys that I would not mind see sliding:

Brandon Graham DE Michigan - maybe if he runs slow at the combine

Donovan Warren CB Michigan - he could be there

Patrick Robinson CB Florida State - I think he will be gone


Along with these and Arenas, maybe Perrish or if we haven't drafted an OT how about Jason Fox? We might even let Pashos start the season so we might not need to go OT in the first round.
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by obx49:
Javier Arenas is another first round prospect that will be there in the second round. I would be elated if we were to land Arenas who would fill two immediate needs.

Since when is Arenas a first rounder?

In any other year, Arenas would definitely be a first round prospect. However, this is such a deep draft class with all the talented players coming out which results in players like Arenas dropping into the second and third rounds.

I doubt it. This year's draft isn't that loaded, kinda weak in CB actually. Arenas doesn't have good size nor good speed. Also, he hasn't been a lockdown CB in college either so I highly doubt he would ever be a 1st rounder.

What about Arenas makes him a 1st rounder? And what CB depth is pushing him down?

That's what I'm saying, he's not a 1st rounder. He just doesnt have the elite athleticism/size/production that would make him one.

Sorry, comment meant for obx49
  • obx49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,268
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by obx49:
Javier Arenas is another first round prospect that will be there in the second round. I would be elated if we were to land Arenas who would fill two immediate needs.

Since when is Arenas a first rounder?

In any other year, Arenas would definitely be a first round prospect. However, this is such a deep draft class with all the talented players coming out which results in players like Arenas dropping into the second and third rounds.

I doubt it. This year's draft isn't that loaded, kinda weak in CB actually. Arenas doesn't have good size nor good speed. Also, he hasn't been a lockdown CB in college either so I highly doubt he would ever be a 1st rounder.

What about Arenas makes him a 1st rounder? And what CB depth is pushing him down?

That's what I'm saying, he's not a 1st rounder. He just doesnt have the elite athleticism/size/production that would make him one.

Sorry, comment meant for obx49

The overall talent in the draft would push Arenas down to the second round. Yes, Arenas might not have the size to be a starting CB in the league, but he has other skills which would make him very valuable such as he is a playmaker, has great instincts, he is tough and physical with great tackling ability, and most importantly he is an excellent return man. Not only that his overall build makes him a perfect nickle or dime CB which we desperately need.
  • PROTIME
  • Info N/A
Kyle Wilson Boise State-CB/Return man
Originally posted by obx49:
Javier Arenas is another first round prospect that will be there in the second round. I would be elated if we were to land Arenas who would fill two immediate needs.

Javier Arenas is not a Day One prospect.

[ Edited by dhp318 on Jan 13, 2010 at 20:00:18 ]
easy.... IUPATI, best G in the whole draft!
Originally posted by lions319:
i have a feeling one of the 3-4 olb with 1st round talent will drop to the second

I agree totally thats why I think with our first pick we go best available player then RT and then rush 3-4 olb.
there are always players that slide and slip down the boards, one name that comes to mind is Greg Hardy, DE/OLB from Ole Miss. he was highly rated by most, but dropped a bit, i had him as high as in the 10 range, now to the 40's range overall.

More possible.

Warren, CB Michigan
Graham, DE Michigan
Gilyard, WR Cincinnati
Arenas, CB Alabama
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,931
Well the more I look at it. The more I don't think 6 OT go in the 1st round.

Okung
Anthony Davis
Trent Williams
Bryan Bulaga

I think are locks. But I don't see Bruce Campbell AND Charles Brown going in the 1st. I see atleast one of those guys going in the 2nd. If not both. Now whether or not they fall to us in the 2nd is a whole nother story.
Originally posted by amigoj49:
easy.... IUPATI, best G in the whole draft!

Umm... Iupati will be going late 1st, at worst.
I know there is a lot of hate around the zone for Taylor Mays, but like the OP mentioned, sky's the limit for his potential with his size and speed. If he drops to round 2... I say we take him.

Michael Lewis is about 1 concussion away from retiring.. we're going to need a hard-hitting safety with some speed.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by amigoj49:
easy.... IUPATI, best G in the whole draft!

Umm... Iupati will be going late 1st, at worst.

Ummmm...... Last I checked, this year's draft hasn't happened yet.... Also, 32nd pick in first round (which is late 1st) and 1st pick in 2nd round isn't too far apart (according to my math).
Originally posted by krizay:
Well the more I look at it. The more I don't think 6 OT go in the 1st round.

Okung
Anthony Davis
Trent Williams
Bryan Bulaga

I think are locks. But I don't see Bruce Campbell AND Charles Brown going in the 1st. I see atleast one of those guys going in the 2nd. If not both. Now whether or not they fall to us in the 2nd is a whole nother story.

That's the issue. If only 5 OTs go in the 1st, it's because the teams at the top of the draft passed on Davis and Williams. This means that they'll likely be targeting who ever is available in the 2nd. By our 2nd round pick I expect all the listed OTs (including Brown and Campbell) and likely Fox and another OT, to be gone.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I like the sound of Arenas and here are a couple other guys that I would not mind see sliding:

Brandon Graham DE Michigan - maybe if he runs slow at the combine

Donovan Warren CB Michigan - he could be there

Patrick Robinson CB Florida State - I think he will be gone

I would be happy with one of these guys in the 2nd round.