LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 404 users in the forums

Celebrate: A New OTC Mock is Here.

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
OTC or anyone else interested:

Where do you see Javier Arenas being taken? Is there a chance he will be available with our 3rd round pick?

I really like him both as an answer to depth at CB and KR/PR. Thoughts?

He should be available in the 3rd, but could go as high as the 2nd.

Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I am starting worry that Iupati won't last to 13.. If he goes to the combine and blows it up, then our dream draft might not happen.

So what is plan B anyway?????????

No guard has ever been picked higher than 15 in the draft. I think Iupati will be there for us if we want to use him with 1a. He might not last to 1b though.

Not true. I laid out a list of high guard picks. One was taken 2nd overall. Played guard in college and started at guard to begin his career: Leonard Davis.

- Shawn Andrews (PHI), 16th Overall
- Leonard Davis (ARI), 2nd Overall
- Steve Hutchinson (SEA), 17th Overall
- Damien Woody (NE), 17th Overall
- Luke Petitgout (NYG, 19th Overall
- Chris Naeole (NO), 10th Overall

Are you sure Davis didn't start at tackle?

yeah davis did start out at tackle. you dont take a guard 2nd overall
"Drafting simply for need is not a great draft strategy, and I do believe Scottie at the very least knows this, and will draft accordingly."

I think your work is great on this mock but I have a few issues to address.

-First I have to agree with the above statement if you word it that way, but if you change it to "drafting for starters versus depth is a good draft strategy", it makes much more sense. I agree D. Evans had no production, but drafting a rotational DE versus a starter at KR/PR until later doesn't make any sense.

-I think the combination of McNolan versus McSing is polar opposite. In my opinion, Sing takes it simple when drafting. I can't remember how many times I was like WTF watching McNolan's drafts but it was just straight forward in 09 under Sing. Yes I do agree McCoughlin is in charge of picking, but we all know he can be swayed. With this said, in my opinion, the top picks will be starters in 2010.

-I have a feeling M. Lewis will play in 2010, as a starter. They got lightening in a bottle with Goldson in the later rounds, and I think they will do the same in 2010 with guys like T.J. Ward / Myron Rolle....Therefore I personally do not see them taking a SS/FS if Gold moves positions until a little bit later in the draft (3rd and on).

-They fired the special team coach...meaning this is going to be a HUGE emphasis in the offseason. I see no scenario where they wait until the later rounds to find a gem in the rough. They are in no position to take a chance when 49ers brass and fans want to win now. Since I think the best scenario is taking someone in the draft, and what MD indicated in terms of spending more $$ on a WR when they have a lot of $ tied up in that position, drafting a CB/KR early is highly likely with this team. Value or not, Perrish Cox and Javier Arenas are going to be very very high on their boards in the 2nd round....It all goes back to drafting starters and not depth for later years, which is why I see them taking one of those in the 2nd.

-Personal opinion and MD mentioned it as well, but like it or not, 49ers are not likely to draft an OLB early in 2010. They seem to love to 'develop' guys now-a-days instead of spending big money on that position anymore.

-Why is no one talking about Cody Wallace being cut? Under OTC's mock, I would resign Baas for a few years, let him play a few games until Iupati gets up and running, allow Baas to be the backup / future replacement to Heitman and fill in with Wraggie at G. The Cody Wallace experiment should be over...although MD will be quite upset b/c I knew he loved that guy!

-I am right on board with your OT/OG picks in the 1st. The one question I do raise is McCoughlin's lack of drafting/paying an OG a lot, but I think this may be the year Sing calls the shots to get his legit OL he wanted from the start.

Anyways, this was my mock draft I posted in another thread....

AB's 2010 NFL Draft Big Board(Top 80)
7 Trent Williams OT Oklahoma - any top tier OT...enough said
24 Mike Iupati OG Idaho - Sing wants to be sure his OL is legit in 2010
66 Javier Arenas CB Alabama - CB & return man
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Where do you see Javier Arenas being taken? Is there a chance he will be available with our 3rd round pick?

I am starting worry that Iupati won't last to 13.. If he goes to the combine and blows it up, then our dream draft might not happen.

No guard has ever been picked higher than 15 in the draft. I think Iupati will be there for us if we want to use him with 1a. He might not last to 1b though.

Not true. I laid out a list of high guard picks. One was taken 2nd overall. Played guard in college and started at guard to begin his career: Leonard Davis.

No, he actually didn't move to tackle until his 4th year. He played his first three years in the NFL at Guard for Arizona.

And he is now back to Guard for Dallas, too.

The fact that scouts believe Iupati could feasibly play tackle makes his value even higher. Higher than a guy like Branden Albert was even (he was a junior though). And I, too, am now beginning to believe we MUST draft him at #13 first if we want him, and then take a pure tackle with 16/17.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The quality and value of the picks are outstanding. Here are some of my thoughts.

I am going to go off the main road, and some of you will think I have completely lost it, but to me, I'm throwing down my first pick in the first round on Mike Iupati. To me, he's Pro-Bowl material, and whether we draft him to play LG or RT, I don't care.

So, for me, as much as it seems crazy to go in the reverse order, I'd select Iupati first. To me, he is the best OL in this draft. I do like Williams a lot, there is no doubt, at RT. I just wouldn't take the risk that someone else might "reach" for Iupati.

I have no issue with the Niners spending both first rounders on OL. No problem at all. Your second rounder also makes a ton of sense. I like Jones as well, and think he's got a tremendous future in the NFL. I have every respect for Michael Lewis. He's one of the more underappreciated players on our squad. However, when concussions begin to mount, the writing is on the wall.

As for your third rounder, there is great value in Schofield, but I'd be shocked to see the team go that direction. I think they are pleased with their three OLB's, and with Briggs as a developmental player. Plus, the team needs to fill two positions with this pick, CB and a PR. Since there should be some available guys that fit that bill, I expect the Niners to head that direction.

As for their fourth rounder, Carter is a terrific college player. I'm not sure the Niners would make that pick, unless they simply do not have confidence in Rachal. I still think they are unsettled at the Ted position, and although they like McKillop as a special teamer (he was outstanding), they didn't seem to be as high on him as a contributor on defense. Maybe the Niners draft another ILB.

From the fifth on, it is purely value selections, and the guys you highlighted are solid selections. Maybe they go for a smaller school WR to be their 5th WR and return kickoffs, another NT or DE, and a FB.

I'd be pleased if the team selected one of the top FB's in this draft as a long-term solution to Norris.

If the team made your selections, I'd take the picks and run, with a smile on my face. At the same time, I think I would go a slightly different direction with some of those mid-rounders.

i agree with everything in this post 100%.
i'm not certain that i see scot drafting 3OL with our 1st 5 picks.
nothing in his draft history would suggest to me he would do that.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Actually Davis started 16 games at Guard his rookie season. His second season he started at RT.
There are a couple of reasons why i think that its likely MCsing goes for 3/4 offensive line picks in this draft.

A. Whenever I watched any videos where Sing was miced up on the sideline, all he did was b***h about how the O line was playing, either giving Chilo sh*t or just in general.

B. All season, we heard reports about how the O line had a bad week and Sing got on them, or he wasn't pleased with their performance etc.etc. There was never any assurance about our O line play, considering there were position battles mid season. I mean how many teams have position battles at a tackle spot week 7, and the guy who ended up losing gets to play anyway cuz of an injury? pretty sad.

C. Alright, if you are happy, or at least semi-happy with your O line, you aren't plugging in a guy like Cody Wallace at the end of the season just "to see what we got". You plug him in cuz you are scrambling for better players, and you pray to god you have someone better on your own team so you don't have to go out and spend money in free agency, or use a draft pick.

Clearly, O line was the focus and the area for concern all season, and I wouldnt be surprised that right now in meetings Mcsing are having, Sing is b***hing about how bad the O line really is.

Then again our offensive scheme/Qb are borderline retarded, so I don't think it matters that much who we draft.

f*ck
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
There are a couple of reasons why i think that its likely MCsing goes for 3/4 offensive line picks in this draft.

A. Whenever I watched any videos where Sing was miced up on the sideline, all he did was b***h about how the O line was playing, either giving Chilo sh*t or just in general.

B. All season, we heard reports about how the O line had a bad week and Sing got on them, or he wasn't pleased with their performance etc.etc. There was never any assurance about our O line play, considering there were position battles mid season. I mean how many teams have position battles at a tackle spot week 7, and the guy who ended up losing gets to play anyway cuz of an injury? pretty sad.

C. Alright, if you are happy, or at least semi-happy with your O line, you aren't plugging in a guy like Cody Wallace at the end of the season just "to see what we got". You plug him in cuz you are scrambling for better players, and you pray to god you have someone better on your own team so you don't have to go out and spend money in free agency, or use a draft pick.

Clearly, O line was the focus and the area for concern all season, and I wouldnt be surprised that right now in meetings Mcsing are having, Sing is b***hing about how bad the O line really is.

Then again our offensive scheme/Qb are borderline retarded, so I don't think it matters that much who we draft.

f*ck

Well, your sentiments that they may realize how horrific our OL really is are appreciated.

They've got to be seeing teams like Baltimore and New York just rolling over people. A rookie and a second year QB who threw for a whopping 4/10 for 34 yards and pick. If you can beat teams without a QB basically, you're in business, and that means your OL (and of course your defense) are top notch.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 10, 2010 at 17:23:49 ]

No, he actually didn't move to tackle until his 4th year. He played his first three years in the NFL at Guard for Arizona.

The fact that scouts believe Iupati could feasibly play tackle makes his value even higher. Higher than a guy like Branden Albert was even (he was a junior though). And I, too, am now beginning to believe we MUST draft him at #13 first if we want him, and then take a pure tackle with 16/17.

Sorry, you don't know what you're talking about. He was drafted as a tackle but couldn't cut it like they wanted, so they moved him to guard. That's why he played Left Tackle at Texas for both his junior and senior year. There's no way you take a guy No. 2 overall unless you think he can be a great OT for you.

Ah yes, I almost forgot my sources:

http://www.leonarddavis.com/profile.htm

Anchored the Texas Longhorns' offensive line from left tackle as a junior and senior … began collegiate career as a defensive tackle … started 21 of Longhorns' final 24 games …

[ Edited by dhp318 on Jan 10, 2010 at 17:33:25 ]
will eat my pants if we draft a G (even lupati) in first round. In fact, I will be those same pants that the Niners will take a cornerback, safety, rush linebacker, middle linebacker or RB in the first round, before they take your boy lupati. Team does not value nor want to pay a G that kind of money...history has proven that out so far.
Originally posted by dhp318:

Sorry, you don't know what you're talking about. He was drafted as a tackle but couldn't cut it like they wanted, so they moved him to guard. That's why he played Left Tackle at Texas for both his junior and senior year. There's no way you take a guy No. 2 overall unless you think he can be a great OT for you.

Ah yes, I almost forgot my sources:

http://www.leonarddavis.com/profile.htm

Anchored the Texas Longhorns' offensive line from left tackle as a junior and senior … began collegiate career as a defensive tackle … started 21 of Longhorns' final 24 games …

Oh psh. Your source is debatable.

No, but in all seriousness, I believe you if that's really the case. I wasn't working off a good source at all for this one, clearly.

I appreciate you correcting my error on Davis.

However, aside from Leonard Davis, what do other people have to say about the other guards listed there that went top 20?

Originally posted by DaNiners:
will eat my pants if we draft a G (even lupati) in first round. In fact, I will be those same pants that the Niners will take a cornerback, safety, rush linebacker, middle linebacker or RB in the first round, before they take your boy lupati. Team does not value nor want to pay a G that kind of money...history has proven that out so far.

Okay. That's fine, but what if they envision him as a tackle?

I'd be able to die a contented man if we somehow landed Trent Williams, Mike Iupati and Reshad Jones in the same draft. I just can't see it happening though for a number of reasons (highly doubt Williams and Jones last that long, respectively, and I don't see Scot drafting 2 lineman of any kind in the 1st then adding another OG in later rounds).

Again, not that I disagree with any of this (I think it's brilliant), but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.
I have a question about OTC's mock draft: Where is your RB? Gore is not going to last forever, and we need someone to be a major threat when Frank needs to come out for a breather, or for when he gets hurt, which often happens. Do you plan on the team signing a good FA, one who is much better than the De Shawn Foster signing?
Originally posted by excelsior:
I have a question about OTC's mock draft: Where is your RB? Gore is not going to last forever, and we need someone to be a major threat when Frank needs to come out for a breather, or for when he gets hurt, which often happens. Do you plan on the team signing a good FA, one who is much better than the De Shawn Foster signing?

Mcluster from Ole Miss would be a gret pick.
I like Reshad Jones.

We HAVE to draft him just based off of this video. Whenever you get an awesome tackle like this against LSU, you know that player is going to be a star.

Share 49ersWebzone