There are 156 users in the forums

Celebrate: A New OTC Mock is Here.

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
If memory serves Reshad Jones is a FS, not a SS. Why not go after a true SS as opposed to a FS that has to be "converted"?

Cause if we moved Goldson to SS and had this kid at FS our D would be insane.

Very true but the question is what do they coaches want.....we all speculate on here obviously but would Goldson really be moved?

I doubt Goldson will be moved unless we get Berry, which I don't think is going to happen.

And I absolutely love the mock OTC

-9fA
I'm not a huge fan of Williams but he'd make a solid RT and can help get the running game going to that side for a change.

Love the Iupati pick. I still would like to address pass rusher earlier but I'd be ok with Schofield in the 3rd.

Thank god you didn't give us Spiller in the first...maybe now all the other people on here will reconsider it as well.

Oh and any mock that has us changing OL coaches gets a big A+ for me

This draft would make me ecstatic...and I would really look forward to next season. OK, I'm already looking forward to this coming season but great mock.
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Sadly your first consideration is out the window with Foerster being retained.

I like all the OL picks, but who is going to coach them up? Foerster?

Maybe u need to read the beginning of his post (Greg Roman)

I did read the post, but I guess you missed this:

Foerster retained
Originally posted by kronik:
Sadly your first consideration is out the window with Foerster being retained.

I like all the OL picks, but who is going to coach them up? Foerster?

Maybe u need to read the beginning of his post (Greg Roman)

I did read the post, but I guess you missed this:

Foerster retained

Thought u meant OTC decides to keep Foerster, my bad. Anyways, since our OL seemed to improve the latter half of the year (without Staley I might add), I am willing to give Foerster another chance.
LOVE the mock!!!! Please let this be the picks we get!!
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
If memory serves Reshad Jones is a FS, not a SS. Why not go after a true SS as opposed to a FS that has to be "converted"?

Very true but the question is what do they coaches want.....we all speculate on here obviously but would Goldson really be moved?

I doubt Goldson will be moved unless we get Berry, which I don't think is going to happen.

-9fA

Thanks. Plus I noted that Jones does, in fact, play SS for Georgia. No conversion needed. But just to play with the logic -- if we drafted a "True FS" and had Goldson move, wouldn't that be a "conversion" too? Just saying.

I explained in another thread why we should not move Goldson.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm not a proponent of moving Goldson. Let him continue to grow at FS. Goldson used to be a cornerback -- So was Ronnie Lott. Just because Goldson is a heavy-hitter and is good in run support doesn't mean he should automatically move to SS. I think we keep Goldson at FS and look for a Strong Safety.
I absolutely LOVE this mock! This mock will do several things for us next season:

1. Frank will be running wild if Iupati and Williams can run block in the NFL like they did in college!

2. All the debates, questions, frustrations regarding Alex Smith will ABSOLUTELY be laid to rest next season! Alex will either show that he can be a franchise QB or we draft/trade for one in 2011.

3. We all know that Safety is a need for us. Goldson has played very well the last half of the season. After Lewis, the depth behind him his absolutely horrible! Getting Jones is a great value in the 3rd.

4. I also love that we are getting another road grader OG! I don't know anything about the player you selected in the 4th for us; however, if he was the ONLY OG to minimize Suh, then he is going to be AWESOME value in the 4th. I don't want to put my trust in Baas/Rachal at the other OG position!

Staley Iupati Heitmann Carter/Rachal Williams
Simms Baas/Wragge Wallace Baas/Wragge Synder

That is one AWESOME looking OL!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Thoughts OTC:

1. I think McCloughan may shy away from a guy like Jones since he's more raw compared to a guy like T.J. Ward. With the bust in Reggie Smith, a guy like Ward may be a better fit to take on Roman's job of both FS and SS.

2. Brandon Carter - while I like the player, I think McCloughan believes that the combination of Snyder and Boone will at least land some role player. Unless we s**t can Baas, Wragge, and/or Wallace, I don't see us taking a guard in round 4 AFTER getting Iupati, and putting Baas at RG. Overkill in my opinion.

Other than that, I think you hit the nail on the head with the draft. I still take credit for putting O'Brien Schofield in my mock first .

1. I think it may ultimately come down to who he believes is the better athlete with higher ceiling.

2. If you noticed my "quick-look depth chart" you see I don't have us retaining Baas or Wallace, thus the pick of Carter.

3. You may have put him in your mock first, but I'll take credit for mentioning him first. http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=129999 vs. http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=131629&highlight=schofield

Pfft. You know the webzone is slanted and has that hidden liberal agenda. Give me more links that prove this fact.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

You have a point there but they will both have good range so I guess it wouldn't matter.

The quality and value of the picks are outstanding. Here are some of my thoughts.

I am going to go off the main road, and some of you will think I have completely lost it, but to me, I'm throwing down my first pick in the first round on Mike Iupati. To me, he's Pro-Bowl material, and whether we draft him to play LG or RT, I don't care.

So, for me, as much as it seems crazy to go in the reverse order, I'd select Iupati first. To me, he is the best OL in this draft. I do like Williams a lot, there is no doubt, at RT. I just wouldn't take the risk that someone else might "reach" for Iupati.

I have no issue with the Niners spending both first rounders on OL. No problem at all. Your second rounder also makes a ton of sense. I like Jones as well, and think he's got a tremendous future in the NFL. I have every respect for Michael Lewis. He's one of the more underappreciated players on our squad. However, when concussions begin to mount, the writing is on the wall.

As for your third rounder, there is great value in Schofield, but I'd be shocked to see the team go that direction. I think they are pleased with their three OLB's, and with Briggs as a developmental player. Plus, the team needs to fill two positions with this pick, CB and a PR. Since there should be some available guys that fit that bill, I expect the Niners to head that direction.

As for their fourth rounder, Carter is a terrific college player. I'm not sure the Niners would make that pick, unless they simply do not have confidence in Rachal. I still think they are unsettled at the Ted position, and although they like McKillop as a special teamer (he was outstanding), they didn't seem to be as high on him as a contributor on defense. Maybe the Niners draft another ILB.

From the fifth on, it is purely value selections, and the guys you highlighted are solid selections. Maybe they go for a smaller school WR to be their 5th WR and return kickoffs, another NT or DE, and a FB.

I'd be pleased if the team selected one of the top FB's in this draft as a long-term solution to Norris.

If the team made your selections, I'd take the picks and run, with a smile on my face. At the same time, I think I would go a slightly different direction with some of those mid-rounders.
I'm not overly high on Williams, but like what I see of Davis at Rutgers, Campbell at Maryland could also be an option and Bulaga had a nice outing this week, Iupati with our other first and AN Other OT with the first pick and I'd be more than happy though.

Which Cal players are the Hawks going to draft and turn into good players this year?! :(
  • rtj03
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The quality and value of the picks are outstanding. Here are some of my thoughts.

I am going to go off the main road, and some of you will think I have completely lost it, but to me, I'm throwing down my first pick in the first round on Mike Iupati. To me, he's Pro-Bowl material, and whether we draft him to play LG or RT, I don't care.

So, for me, as much as it seems crazy to go in the reverse order, I'd select Iupati first. To me, he is the best OL in this draft. I do like Williams a lot, there is no doubt, at RT. I just wouldn't take the risk that someone else might "reach" for Iupati.

I have no issue with the Niners spending both first rounders on OL. No problem at all. Your second rounder also makes a ton of sense. I like Jones as well, and think he's got a tremendous future in the NFL. I have every respect for Michael Lewis. He's one of the more underappreciated players on our squad. However, when concussions begin to mount, the writing is on the wall.

As for your third rounder, there is great value in Schofield, but I'd be shocked to see the team go that direction. I think they are pleased with their three OLB's, and with Briggs as a developmental player. Plus, the team needs to fill two positions with this pick, CB and a PR. Since there should be some available guys that fit that bill, I expect the Niners to head that direction.

As for their fourth rounder, Carter is a terrific college player. I'm not sure the Niners would make that pick, unless they simply do not have confidence in Rachal. I still think they are unsettled at the Ted position, and although they like McKillop as a special teamer (he was outstanding), they didn't seem to be as high on him as a contributor on defense. Maybe the Niners draft another ILB.

From the fifth on, it is purely value selections, and the guys you highlighted are solid selections. Maybe they go for a smaller school WR to be their 5th WR and return kickoffs, another NT or DE, and a FB.

I'd be pleased if the team selected one of the top FB's in this draft as a long-term solution to Norris.

If the team made your selections, I'd take the picks and run, with a smile on my face. At the same time, I think I would go a slightly different direction with some of those mid-rounders.

I agree with this 100%. Iupati FIRST. I am starting to believe that somebody will reach for him and I hope we are the ones.

I dont like Williams at all. He's not nasty and has no motor. I would rather have one of the other tackles! I feel he is very over rated.
Looks good OTC!

Hoping things break the right way, and we pick up at least TWO blue chip OL this draft. I'm not sure of the order, and how things will fall. Gotta hope Sing and Scotty do their homework, and figure out how well these prospects will translate to the pro game. After just finishing watching the Jets playoff win, with their OL coming together, watching Mangold and D'Brickishaw, it's easy to see how a couple of bulldozers who can also MOVE laterally, you'd think Sing will be pushing hard to get a couple of dominant guys.

Worried about alot of other things though.

Is Norris gonna hold up? - he's gettin a little long in the tooth, and a good short yardage back is a priority.

OK faithful, don't hurt me too much. I LOVE Gore, but I've always believed that RB's go downhill FAST as the constant hits add up through the years. I am most definitely NOT impressed by any of the others on the roster. Eventually, we need a replacement. So far, Scotty has shown no skill in picking up the late round "sleeper" backs that have thrived with other teams.

But I agree with you OTC - build the trenches. Good lines (both OL and DL) make everybody else look better.
agreed, I too would draft Iupati with #13. If Williams is there with our second pick, then that would be fantastic.

Great Mock OTC, I would be ecstatic!
Share 49ersWebzone