LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

I Got It! The answer to our two first rounders!

Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

This is soooo wrong on soooo many levels.

[ Edited by fister30 on Jan 9, 2010 at 05:50:24 ]
What you can do is build a defense that is so dominating that even Alex Smith can win by throwing for 58yds like Alabama quaterback did last night. Listen guys the ravens won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer as their starting quaterback! Enough said "Defense wins Championships". and McClain and Mount Cody showed that last night!
Originally posted by ninerforyears:
What you hillbillies do not understand is Defense wins Championships! I thought I was talking to some guys who saw Alabama win the national championship with their quaterback throwing for 58yds! Even Alex Smith could have won that Game! How about you guys start to massage your temples and ask the Lord for common sense! Go ahead give it a try.

You totally don't get it! It's so obvious the teams glaring weakness right now is at the oline. The Dline is one of the strengths of the team this year: Top 5 in rushing yards allowed and top 5 in sacks. Franklin, Willis, and Spikes is probably the best 3-4 inside combination right now.

When the offense starts moving the ball and converting 3rd downs, that will also help the defense.

Stop talking out of your a$$.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
What you hillbillies do not understand is Defense wins Championships! I thought I was talking to some guys who saw Alabama win the national championship with their quaterback throwing for 58yds! Even Alex Smith could have won that Game! How about you guys start to massage your temples and ask the Lord for common sense! Go ahead give it a try.

You totally don't get it! It's so obvious the teams glaring weakness right now is at the oline. The Dline is one of the strengths of the team this year: Top 5 in rushing yards allowed and top 5 in sacks. Franklin, Willis, and Spikes is probably the best 3-4 inside combination right now.

When the offense starts moving the ball and converting 3rd downs, that will also help the defense.

Agreed! Don't forget this defense was #1 in turnovers and top 5 in points allowed, all while taking more snaps than any other defense. Shore up the O-line and get more creative on offense and the D gets even better.

Dude I am talking about the 1st round of the draft! I don't know if you are familiar with the draft but their are more than one round! Plus we should target getting our OL help in free agency and get the best defensive players in the 1st round. Kinda makes sense now that I've forced you to think huh?
I'd pass on Cody. Cody is another overhyped, fat, lazy DT from a big name program, much like Alan Branch from Michigan two years ago.

I'd read another scout's opinion on Cody (can't find the link), but he basically said that if you needed a DT to play 10 plays a game to play the run, then Cody is your man.

As for McClain, he's basically Willis II.

Seem to recall a second string running back walking through to a touchdown due to Bama's OLine...no?

Dude I am talking about the 1st round of the draft! I don't know if you are familiar with the draft but their are more than one round! Plus we should target getting our OL help in free agency and get the best defensive players in the 1st round. Kinda makes sense now that I've forced you to think huh?

What the hell is your point? You're going around in circles here. First you address the first round, and now you're addressing the entire draft. WTF? Do us all a favor and and review the premise of your statement and explain it better.
They were on display last night in the national championship game! 1a. Rolando McClain 2. Mount Cody these two players will give us play makers on defense other than willis and smith!
mcclain is a firstrounder, cody is sth between the 1st and the 2nd...but:
1)we haven't got any problems at DT...put it differently: this year DT isn't a major problem. If franklin gets injured or wont be tagged, then you still can move sopoaga to NT. At DE we have enough young guys to develop...perhaps one of them can play NT, too. so I think, even if you want to draft sth for our d-line, it shouldnt happen in the first round...unless suh falls to us.

2)McClain and Willis would be a killer ilb-tandem...and if spikes stays at his 09-level, it would be even because mcclain could learn sth behind him, before moving up to starter. but here, we need depth, not a wasted first round pick (mcclain is a good one but we dont need ilb badly). and we got mckillop, who is loved by everyone, especially by sing, like i read. i cant say anything about wilhelm...depth is needed here, too. ulbrich is out, spikes shouldnt do it any longer than 2 years (contract lasts only for the next season...dont know if he would get an one-year extension), everyone is in love with mckillop, but i havent seen a lot of him. a ilb-draft in later rounds wouldnt be bad...

we have really got big problems at RT and at guard...CB is a need, one of the safety positions is a need, too (think that goldons could improve at SS, he loves to tackle), it wouldnt be bad to look at another (receiving!!!) tight end, if we want to play 2TE-sets more often. and I think that battle wont get a new contract...bruce will retire. so we will need another WR, at least for off- and preseason to challenge crabtree and co. a little bit (and for depth, too).
and we need pass rush, too.

What you can do is build a defense that is so dominating that even Alex Smith can win by throwing for 58yds like Alabama quaterback did last night. Listen guys the ravens won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer as their starting quaterback! Enough said "Defense wins Championships". and McClain and Mount Cody showed that last night!
thats your argument??? are you kidding me? of course, you will need a damn good defense, if you want to win the superbowl. but I wouldnt rely on the "fact" that (only) defense wins championships. remember the vikings last year? they had all but a quarterback...what did they win??? where were the bears with their damn good defense and orton last year?
last night alabama won the bowl only because mccoy was out early in the game. gilbert, his backup, is a true freshman...what did you expect of that guy???

[ Edited by communist on Jan 9, 2010 at 21:40:15 ]

What the hell is your point? You're going around in circles here. First you address the first round, and now you're addressing the entire draft. WTF? Do us all a favor and and review the premise of your statement and explain it better.

I am addressing the entire draft because we are participating in the entire draft duh! Plus you guys have to understand that we can not solve all of our problems in the first round. If we got a chance to make our defense special then do it with the Alabama connection. Plus our defense was not as good as the stats showed consistently. Just look at the games we lost when we should have won them, like the Seattle, Titans, and the texans. need I say more!

Yes, defense wins championships, but it doesn't hurt to have a competent offense. Just because a team could win with their quarterback throwing only 58 yards (a BS argument because Alabama's running game produced 205 yards with 4 touchdowns, so it's not like their offense did nothing) doesn't mean that it would happen in the pros. There is a big difference between pro football and college ball. To win in the pros, you need a good offense and defense. Without a good O-line, it is hard move the ball, and it is hard to score points. Drafting defense, ESPECIALLY at positions where we are set, in the first round when the best players are available wouldn't help our biggest need, the O-line, and would be down right retarded. You, sir, fail at drafting.

Also the whole "Alex could even beat [insert college team here]" is freaking stupid because there is, to reiterate, a HUGE difference between college and pros. Jamarcus Russell could've beaten Texas. The 0-16 Lions could've beaten Texas. Pro players are better then college players, which is why they're pro. That argument is stupid.

[ Edited by pwilly52 on Jan 10, 2010 at 13:15:21 ]
They were on display last night in the national championship game! 1a. Rolando McClain 2. Mount Cody these two players will give us play makers on defense other than willis and smith!

A play making nose tackle ?? Alrighty then.
Originally posted by pwilly52:

Yes, defense wins championships, but it doesn't hurt to have a competent offense. Just because a team could win with their quarterback throwing only 58 yards (a BS argument because Alabama's running game produced 205 yards with 4 touchdowns, so it's not like their offense did nothing) doesn't mean that it would happen in the pros. There is a big difference between pro football and college ball. To win in the pros, you need a good offense and defense. Without a good O-line, it is hard move the ball, and it is hard to score points. Drafting defense, ESPECIALLY at positions where we are set, in the first round when the best players are available wouldn't help our biggest need, the O-line, and would be down right retarded. You, sir, fail at drafting.

Also the whole "Alex could even beat [insert college team here]" is freaking stupid because there is, to reiterate, a HUGE difference between college and pros. Jamarcus Russell could've beaten Texas. The 0-16 Lions could've beaten Texas. Pro players are better then college players, which is why they're pro. That argument is stupid.

You say there is a big difference between pro-football and college well let's take a look at that statement, because the ravens just proved you wrong and me right! did you see how they jumped out all over the patriots and that was because in the first qtr the ravens got 3 turnovers 2ints, 1fumble and the game was over before it even got started. Sing got it right to want a strong running game and a dominate defense!

No, makes no sense at all. Free agency, unless there is a cba, is highly unlikely to deliver what we need.

We need to draft an OT in the first round, and a guard quite early as well
the reason why one of those 1st rounders has to be used on a RT is ADAM SNYDER isnt very good and it hurts to watch him play
Share 49ersWebzone