LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Anthony Davis falling to #13?

Thing about Davis is, you can't teach skill, but you can motivate people, and we do have the Sing factor.

Who knows where he'll end up after he's done torpedoing his draft status but I'd be happy with him regardless because we finally have a legit OL coach.
I think we may end up having our choice of either drafting Davis or Trent Williams at 13. Would be a tough call, I would be happy with either.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I think we may end up having our choice of either drafting Davis or Trent Williams at 13. Would be a tough call, I would be happy with either.

Davis scares me. I'd rather have Williams at this point.
Davis is what 20 years old? True he is a physical presence. However we need to win now. We dont have time to groom a 20 year old. Besides, he will get eaten alive by every team, because of his youth and inexperience. And Smith and our team will suffer.....no thanks.

Trent Williams, Bulaga are the best picks here.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Davis is what 20 years old? True he is a physical presence. However we need to win now. We dont have time to groom a 20 year old. Besides, he will get eaten alive by every team, because of his youth and inexperience. And Smith and our team will suffer.....no thanks.

Trent Williams, Bulaga are the best picks here.

Bryan Bulaga is only 20 years old as well!

CAREER BIO

Bulaga turns 21 later this month.
[ Edited by PTulini on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:02 PM ]
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
They are currently 2 tackles ahead of anthony Davis they are Russel okung and Bruce cambell

1.rams won't take a tackle
2.lions have said they are confident behind barkus they won't take a tackle
3. Bucs acually have a pretty decent o Line tackle is not a need
4. Cheifs I think would probally take berry okung or dez Bryant in that order let's say okung gowa here
5.redskins I think they part ways with cambell and new coach means new qb (first qb taken)
6. I think Seattle takes the heir to Walter jones Bruce cambell with this pick
7. Cleveland has a bunch of problems but o line not really a need so no o line here
8.I dint think al Davis drags o line in first round prob some physical player
9. Buffalo takes a qb new coaching staff=new qb(only claussen or bradford tho)
10 jax won't spend a pick on o line here with Monroe and Britton taken last year
11Denver has a solid o line
12. Miami also has a decent o line
13 i think anthony Davis does fall to us if he doesn't he would be taken by buffalo however if he passes buffalo we should be able to get gim

Regardless of what the Lions say about Backus, they absolutely need to upgrade their OL. If they don't, Stafford will have a very short NFL career.

Look for them to draft an OT in April with their 1st rounder

Agreed, You don't invest the money in Stafford if you don't have a plan to protect him and give yourself and him the best chance to get your value returned.
I think there's a good chance that Davis will be the last of the top five tackles available by the time we pick. Hell, there's a good chance that all five are gone and we may need to reach for Brown. That is if Seattle doesn't take him first.
Originally posted by vermonator:
I think there's a good chance that Davis will be the last of the top five tackles available by the time we pick. Hell, there's a good chance that all five are gone and we may need to reach for Brown. That is if Seattle doesn't take him first.

Davis or Williams will be there if the Raiders go with Campbell. Williams will drop to the 9ers IMO because most teams perceive him as a RT.

Bradford, Clausen, Suh, McCoy, Berry, and Okung that are guarnteed to go before #13. That leaves Bulaga, Trent Williams, and Anthony Davis still available which makes 9. Miami has to draft D. Williams now that they have a huge whole at NT. Jacksonville and Den. will most likely skip an OT. So if the 1st 6 guys are drafted, Oak drafts Campbell, Mia. drafts williams, and Jack. & Den don't draft OT Williams or Davis should be there. Plus you still have Haden, JPP, Morgan, Spiller, McClain, and Bryant who that could be higher on teams draft boards than Williams and Davis. If Sea drafts one of the OT at #6 than Davis and/or William should be there at #17.

I think in a lot of cases we as fans, tend to over value our team needs when trying to slot players in draft positions.
Imo, there is a quite good chance, there won't be on OT available at #13 for us :
I think McCoy could drop a bit because of his illness. This is nothing you can neglect. So here is a scenario

1) The lions really need an ot. They could take a dt (suh or Mccoy) , but i think they will pick Okung -> One OT gone

2) The Redskins are looking for an OT, too. Chris Samuels has retired, they signed Artis Hicks, be he isn't a lt. The skins need an LT, so this could be OT if they don't go QB. ->2 OT's gone

3) The Chiefs want to move Branden Albert inside to his natural position at guard. They have no real LT on their roster -> 3 OT's gone

4) The Seahawks really need a QB, a RB and an OT. The two QB's will be gone at #6, RB can be taken at #14 (spiller) or in the 2nd round (Matthews/Best/Dwyer), so another OT could be of the board here -> 4 OT's gone

5) The raiders ignored their Oline need the last few years. Look where they are now. This pick will be Campbell or Davis, no question -> 5 OT's gone

This would mean 5 OT's in the 1st 8 picks. Sounds crazy, but not impossible. And if some OT get past #8, here comes #9:

6) The Bills don't have a real OT on their roster. Brad Butler retired and Demetrius Bell played bad and got seriously injured -> OT #5 gone if somebody of the other 5 don't pick an OT.
[ Edited by stever on Mar 13, 2010 at 2:57 AM ]
Originally posted by stever:
Imo, there is a quite good chance, there won't be on OT available at #13 for us :
I think McCoy could drop a bit because of his illness. This is nothing you can neglect. So here is a scenario

1) The lions really need an ot. They could take a dt (suh or Mccoy) , but i think they will pick Okung -> One OT gone

2) The Redskins are looking for an OT, too. Chris Samuels has retired, they signed Artis Hicks, be he isn't a lt. The skins need an LT, so this could be OT if they don't go QB. ->2 OT's gone

3) The Chiefs want to move Branden Albert inside to his natural position at guard. They have no real LT on their roster -> 3 OT's gone

4) The Seahawks really need a QB, a RB and an OT. The two QB's will be gone at #6, RB can be taken at #14 (spiller) or in the 2nd round (Matthews/Best/Dwyer), so another OT could be of the board here -> 4 OT's gone

5) The raiders ignored their Oline need the last few years. Look where they are now. This pick will be Campbell or Davis, no question -> 5 OT's gone

This would mean 5 OT's in the 1st 8 picks. Sounds crazy, but not impossible. And if some OT get past #8, here comes #9:

6) The Bills don't have a real OT on their roster. Brad Butler retired and Demetrius Bell played bad and got seriously injured -> OT #5 gone if somebody of the other 5 don't pick an OT.

The lions are not taking an OT they are either getting suh or mccoy they have no presence at the POA and mccoy and suh are both >> okung so not only need but BPA

cheifs defense sucks too much in the pass and in run they will go defense with this pick unless okung falls

the redskins can take a OT but i can also see them going QB they really hate cambell and shanahan will want his guy

only guys who i see taking OT are
redskins
seahawks
raiders
Bills

seahawks wont take spiller because they have a huge need for QB OT and pass rush all are greater needs than RB and all three of their needs are the most important pieces to winning football games i see them going OT at 6 (unless bradford or claussen fall) and morgan at 14 (OT if they take a QB at 6)

• mayo49
  • Veteran

The lions are not taking an OT they are either getting suh or mccoy they have no presence at the POA and mccoy and suh are both >> okung so not only need but BPA

cheifs defense sucks too much in the pass and in run they will go defense with this pick unless okung falls

the redskins can take a OT but i can also see them going QB they really hate cambell and shanahan will want his guy

redskins
seahawks
raiders
Bills

seahawks wont take spiller because they have a huge need for QB OT and pass rush all are greater needs than RB and all three of their needs are the most important pieces to winning football games i see them going OT at 6 (unless bradford or claussen fall) and morgan at 14 (OT if they take a QB at 6)

I don't see the Seahawks and Bills both going OT. It's either Seattle goes Qb or OT and the Bills take what ever the Seahawks don't take.
Originally posted by mayo63:

redskins
seahawks
raiders
Bills

I don't see the Seahawks and Bills both going OT. It's either Seattle goes Qb or OT and the Bills take what ever the Seahawks don't take.

bills have to take OT they need a RT or LT but i can see the redskins taking QB instead of OT and who knows what the raiders will do but i expect at least 1 of the top 4 Ots to fall to 13
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:

redskins
seahawks
raiders
Bills

bills have to take OT they need a RT or LT but i can see the redskins taking QB instead of OT and who knows what the raiders will do but i expect at least 1 of the top 4 Ots to fall to 13

Agree.

Davis is a tub o lard. Hope Niners go with Bulaga or spiller at their first pick if available
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jogr49:
Davis is a tub o lard. Hope Niners go with Bulaga or spiller at their first pick if available

He's just a little immature.
Share 49ersWebzone