There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My First Mock

First one. I am assuming most non-declared eligible players will declare.

Team re-signs:
1. Barry Sims - I think the unsung hero of our offensive line. I know that that is possibly an over-statement, but realistically, who would of thought he would play SO well down the stretch at LT. Honestly made me forget about our supposed prodigy Joe Staley (who I think is a better fit at RT). Will be a great back-up for Staley and along the line in general.
2. Ahmad Brooks - He must be re-signed with the amass of talent and upside he has shown in *limited* action this season. A full, healthy offseason/preseason will be only the beginning of what he truly could be at the OLB rushing position.
3. Aubrayo Franklin - We either franchise him or re-sign him to a long deal. Either way he's back as our anchor at run defense and continues to be and elite 3-4 NT.
4. David Baas - We need to keep the guard here and have him be a mentor or back-up to our rookie. Will provide good depth at the G position.

Extensions
1. Vernon Davis - Self-explanatory. He is a beast and MUST be locked up for the future.
2. Patrick Willis - The leader of our team and the heart and soul of our defense. We need to never let him leave San Francisco.
3. Manny Lawson - He takes a lot of heat for not rushing the passer, but he is a beast in coverage. I am hoping that he will continue his development and showed signs of his ability to get into the backfield and get pressure. His sack totals will increase as he grows into his position.
4. Dashon Goldson - He's a baller. In his first year he has given me faith that we have a safety (whether it be SS or FS). He is another player that is going to be a solid cog in our defense for years to come.

Free Agency
First of all, I feel like the CBA will be reached. The owners will push hard to get it done, and they have the power and resources to achieve their goals. There's also a rumor going around that the owners would threaten to lock out the players if it didn't get done. That being sad, here is my free agency outlook.

1. Leon Washington - Exactly what we need for our option at playmaker for special teams. I think that after his injury, teams will use "injury-prone" as leverage against getting a huge contract. We will need to fork out some cash, but we have a lot of cap space and it will fill our GLARING need at return specialist and also can be a third down back (has good hands in the passing game). Also is ahead of Glen Coffee in pass blocking.

2. Nick Collins - The Packers have a lot of players that are going to be free agents in 2010. I think they will franchise Aaron Kampman considering he is one of the true beasts on their defense. Therefore, Collins will test the free agency market and the 49ers will aggressively go after him. By doing this, we put Dashon Goldson at strong safety and have an extremely athletic and ball-hawking duo for a safety net.

I believe that Logan Mankins will be franchised by the Patriots and they will let Vince Wilfork depart due to the fact they did not miss him much when he was injury due to the fact they have good depth and a developing great talent in Ron Brace. This may not be the most exciting FA offseason, but I believe that this will fill two big needs.

Draft
1a. Mike Iupati OG - It looks obvious to me Singletary wants to re-build the offensive line. I think Iupati is a sure-fire upgrade to our offensive line. Although it is not RT, it may prove that he can be fixed to another part of the line. However, I am drafting him as a Guard here.

1b. Bruce Campbell OT - We find the solid RT we need and it solidifies the right side of the line for years to come. Big and strong, Campbell will maul opponents as he develops.

2. Donovan Warren CB - Our secondary needs a lot of improvement and Donovan is 6'1" 174 and runs a 4.4. Good with his hips and has enough speed to keep up with the good receivers in our division. He's also tough and can be physical. Gives Tarell Brown a run for his money for the nickle back position.

3. George Selvie DE/OLB - USF - We could use a young DE and is a huge steal here so late. He may have a great combine but this would be a great upgrade to our line and provide great depth. I think he slips here because of not eye-popping combine numbers and a somewhat marginal year.

4. Daryl Washington ILB - TCU This is a good looking prospect at ILB. 6-3 234. He is great size and can push McKillop for the other starting ILB next to Patrick Willis once Takeo Spikes is no longer there. He runs in the 4.4 - 4.6 range and is a player that could be a gem.

5. Freddie Barnes WR - Bowling Green - Had a great season in the Bowl Subdivision Series. Went for 155-1770-19. 6-0 210. Is a big receiver that could prove to be a physical possession receiver. Gives Jason Hill a run in offseason and training camp.

6. A.J. Jefferson CB - Fresno State - Is a 6 foot 190 pound physical corner. Runs the 40 in the 4.45-4.57. He will inject youthful depth to our secondary and will be cheap and we need all the help we can get in the aging pass defense we have.

7. Jay Ross DT - East Carolina - Ross is 6'3" 305 and will hopefully push RJF to show his worth and beat out the nobody Demetric Evans for a roster spot. Sidenote: This pick should be BPA -- I just like his size and I feel any depth on our D-Line is necessary.

Depth Chart - Offense

QB -> A. Smith/S. Hill/N. Davis
RB -> F.Gore/L. Washington/G. Coffee/M.Rob
WR -> M.Crabtree/J.Morgan/B.Jones/F.Barnes/J.Hill
TE -> V.Davis/D.Walker
LT -> Joe Staley/Barry Sims
LG -> Mike Iupati/D. Baas
C - > E. Heitmann/C. Wallace
RG -> C. Rachal/T. Wragge
RT -> Bruce Campbell/A. Snyder

Depth Chart - Defense
LDE -> ICE/George Selvie
NT -> A. Franklin/K. Balmer/Jay Ross
RDE -> J. Smith/R. McDonald
LOLB -> M. Lawson/A. Brooks
MLB -> P. Willis/TKO/S. McKillop/Daryl Washington
ROLB -> Parys Haralson
CB -> N. Clement/S. Spencer/T. Brown/Donovan Warren/AJ Jefferson
FS - > Dashon Goldson/Reggie Smith
SS - > Nick Collins/Michael Lewis

KR/PR -> Leon Washington
P - Andy Lee
K- Joe Nedney

So, there it is. Have at me. I'm sure I f**ked up lol
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM ]
Doubt we will get collins and washingtons health is a concern. Plus he will want big money. But I wouldnt be mad at that offseason!
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Doubt we will get collins and washingtons health is a concern. Plus he will want big money. But I wouldnt be mad at that offseason!

I think that's why we'd get Washington at a discount. I guess I'm just hoping for Nick Collins, he'd solve a lot of problems. If we didn't get him I'd go for the best S available at our 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
First one. I am assuming most non-declared eligible players will declare.

Team re-signs:
1. Barry Sims - I think the unsung hero of our offensive line. I know that that is possibly an over-statement, but realistically, who would of thought he would play SO well down the stretch at LT. Honestly made me forget about our supposed prodigy Joe Staley (who I think is a better fit at RT). Will be a great back-up for Staley and along the line in general.
2. Ahmad Brooks - He must be re-signed with the amass of talent and upside he has shown in *limited* action this season. A full, healthy offseason/preseason will be only the beginning of what he truly could be at the OLB rushing position.
3. Aubrayo Franklin - We either franchise him or re-sign him to a long deal. Either way he's back as our anchor at run defense and continues to be and elite 3-4 NT.
4. David Baas - We need to keep the guard here and have him be a mentor or back-up to our rookie. Will provide good depth at the G position.

Extensions
1. Vernon Davis - Self-explanatory. He is a beast and MUST be locked up for the future.
2. Patrick Willis - The leader of our team and the heart and soul of our defense. We need to never let him leave San Francisco.
3. Manny Lawson - He takes a lot of heat for not rushing the passer, but he is a beast in coverage. I am hoping that he will continue his development and showed signs of his ability to get into the backfield and get pressure. His sack totals will increase as he grows into his position.
4. Dashon Goldson - He's a baller. In his first year he has given me faith that we have a safety (whether it be SS or FS). He is another player that is going to be a solid cog in our defense for years to come.

Free Agency
First of all, I feel like the CBA will be reached. The owners will push hard to get it done, and they have the power and resources to achieve their goals. There's also a rumor going around that the owners would threaten to lock out the players if it didn't get done. That being sad, here is my free agency outlook.

1. Leon Washington - Exactly what we need for our option at playmaker for special teams. I think that after his injury, teams will use "injury-prone" as leverage against getting a huge contract. We will need to fork out some cash, but we have a lot of cap space and it will fill our GLARING need at return specialist and also can be a third down back (has good hands in the passing game). Also is ahead of Glen Coffee in pass blocking.

2. Nick Collins - The Packers have a lot of players that are going to be free agents in 2010. I think they will franchise Aaron Kampman considering he is one of the true beasts on their defense. Therefore, Collins will test the free agency market and the 49ers will aggressively go after him. By doing this, we put Dashon Goldson at strong safety and have an extremely athletic and ball-hawking duo for a safety net.

I believe that Nick Mangold will be franchised by the Patriots and they will let Vince Wilfork depart due to the fact they did not miss him much when he was injury due to the fact they have good depth and a developing great talent in Ron Brace. This may not be the most exciting FA offseason, but I believe that this will fill two big needs.

Draft
1a. Mike Iupati OG - It looks obvious to me Singletary wants to re-build the offensive line. I think Iupati is a sure-fire upgrade to our offensive line. Although it is not RT, it may prove that he can be fixed to another part of the line. However, I am drafting him as a Guard here.

1b. Bruce Campbell OT - We find the solid RT we need and it solidifies the right side of the line for years to come. Big and strong, Campbell will maul opponents as he develops.

2. Donovan Warren CB - Our secondary needs a lot of improvement and Donovan is 6'1" 174 and runs a 4.4. Good with his hips and has enough speed to keep up with the good receivers in our division. He's also tough and can be physical.

3. George Selvie DE/OLB - USF - We could use a young DE we could use and is a huge steal here so late. He may have a great combine but this would be a great upgrade to our line and provide great depth. I think he slips here because of not eye-popping combine numbers and a somewhat marginal year.

4. Daryl Washington ILB - TCU This is a good looking prospect at ILB. 6-3 234. He is great size and can push McKillop for the other starting ILB next to Patrick Willis once Takeo Spikes is no longer there. He runs in the 4.4 - 4.6 range and is a player that could be a gem.

5. Freddie Barnes WR - Bowling Green - Had a great season in the Bowl Subdivision Series. Went for 155-1770-19. 6-0 210. Is a big receiver that could prove to be a physical possession receiver. Gives Jason Hill a run in offseason and training camp.

6. A.J. Jefferson CB - Fresno State - Is a 6 foot 190 pound physical corner. Runs the 40 in the 4.45-4.57. He will inject youthful depth to our secondary and will be cheap and we need all the help we can get in the aging pass defense we have.

7. Jay Ross DT - East Carolina - Ross is 6'3" 305 and will hopefully push RJF to show his worth and beat out the nobody Demetric Evans for a roster spot. Sidenote: This pick should be BPA -- I just like his size and I feel any depth on our D-Line is necessary.

So, there it is. Have at me. I'm sure I f**ked up lol

i believe you meant by NY Jets
I think he mant logan mankins
Originally posted by marshniners24:
I think he mant logan mankins

oops yea i did i was watching ESPN and they were talking about him lol i just wrote it -- i'll edit it
Where will Lupati play? Will he take Baas' or Chilo's spot?? You cant draft a gurad that high PERIOD but if you do he must start from day one...
Originally posted by northshore:
Where will Lupati play? Will he take Baas' or Chilo's spot?? You cant draft a gurad that high PERIOD but if you do he must start from day one...

He takes over for Baas and we have Baas as his backup. He WILL be worth the top pick. He is a monster. After watching him chuck everyone in front of him in the bowl game, his combine numbers will be huge and we will have an elite guard to enable heitmann to not worry about the SUCK on his left and right.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,952
I'd love to get Campbell and Iupati, though I think Bulaga is a safer pick at Tackle.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:12 PM ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by northshore:
Where will Lupati play? Will he take Baas' or Chilo's spot?? You cant draft a gurad that high PERIOD but if you do he must start from day one...

He takes over for Baas and we have Baas as his backup. He WILL be worth the top pick. He is a monster. After watching him chuck everyone in front of him in the bowl game, his combine numbers will be huge and we will have an elite guard to enable heitmann to not worry about the SUCK on his left and right.

So we resign Baas as a back up? good luck with that... he will receive multiple offers at starter money price which means we must match and pay a back up starter money.

bottom line...it anit happening...

You have to go back to Sctty Mac's previous drafts and moves. He doesnt value guards that high and lets them leave (Smiley). There is no way... let me repeat...NO WAY the niners will take a guard that high.
Originally posted by northshore:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by northshore:
Where will Lupati play? Will he take Baas' or Chilo's spot?? You cant draft a gurad that high PERIOD but if you do he must start from day one...

He takes over for Baas and we have Baas as his backup. He WILL be worth the top pick. He is a monster. After watching him chuck everyone in front of him in the bowl game, his combine numbers will be huge and we will have an elite guard to enable heitmann to not worry about the SUCK on his left and right.

So we resign Baas as a back up? good luck with that... he will receive multiple offers at starter money price which means we must match and pay a back up starter money.

bottom line...it anit happening...

You have to go back to Sctty Mac's previous drafts and moves. He doesnt value guards that high and lets them leave (Smiley). There is no way... let me repeat...NO WAY the niners will take a guard that high.

It's just a mock. We shall see what happens. Iupati is an undeniable offensive line talent. He looks like he's a one of kind guard and will impress at the combine. If we could solidify the interior of our line with a guy of his size and ability, Frank Gore will run wild and that will in turn help Alex Smith play better. And I'm not so sure Baas will get multiple offers at starter money. Our offensive line woes are visible to the entire nation, and he hasn't played consistently or solid enough for a team to reach unless it's in desperation.
If Lupati is so good why wasnt he shifted to a tackle position at some point in his college career?
Originally posted by northshore:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by northshore:
Where will Lupati play? Will he take Baas' or Chilo's spot?? You cant draft a gurad that high PERIOD but if you do he must start from day one...

He takes over for Baas and we have Baas as his backup. He WILL be worth the top pick. He is a monster. After watching him chuck everyone in front of him in the bowl game, his combine numbers will be huge and we will have an elite guard to enable heitmann to not worry about the SUCK on his left and right.

So we resign Baas as a back up? good luck with that... he will receive multiple offers at starter money price which means we must match and pay a back up starter money.

bottom line...it anit happening...

You have to go back to Sctty Mac's previous drafts and moves. He doesnt value guards that high and lets them leave (Smiley). There is no way... let me repeat...NO WAY the niners will take a guard that high.

Maybe Scotty needs to re-think his position on Guards. Good teams have good guards, no just any fat body laying by the side of the road. #13 may be a little earlier than guards have been selected historically, I just hope Iupati is still on the board when #13 rolls around.

As for Baas, I think they can use a transition tag on him which affords the 49ers some leverage.
Originally posted by northshore:
If Lupati is so good why wasnt he shifted to a tackle position at some point in his college career?

Buzzkillington! Was I in the Idaho locker room? I have no idea. But the scouts say that he has "the footwork to be an NFL LT"

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2009-12-29/bowl-draft-prospects-ross-iupati-strive-join-suh-first-round

He is elite. Whoever drafts him -- and I HOPE we're smart enough to do it -- will be extremely happy.
BTW.. Good off season plan, resignings, free agents and draft!!!