There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mods Mock 2010 Off-Season/Draft

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by ninergold:
I like a lot of what you suggested. I really like Lutui and LaBoy, coming as under the radar free agents.

I also think Snyder has to stick, just from sheer versatility. Same with Wragge. Those guys are valuable.

Hudson, Evans, Battle...I think they're not adding much. But I can't see taking a safety that high. I'm thinking an OL and the front 7 of the defense could use some help.

They also can't add another developmental QB. Those guys won't get enough reps to grow.

Thanks.

Adam Snyder, has given up the most sacks in the league (according to a thread in 9ertalk), I was just going by that. And as I've said in my comments, his pass-blocking problems follow him in the Pre-Season, which was a reason for his release.

Tony Wragge, Hes been serviceable, true, but its just one of those things where we need to TRY and upgrade at his position. He may or may not go anywhere, but in my Mocks case it was a numbers thing. And as you can see Cody Wallace is finally getting a shot.

Sean Canfield, well like I said, Alex Smith and/or Shaun Hill may not be back in 2011. Why not have another QB waiting in the wings. I'm not sold on Nate Davis by any means. Besides its not like we haven't kept 4 QB's before.

Dude you don't need to explain any of those. Snyder on profootballfocus is rated as one of the 10 worst OTs in the league, has given up the most sacks from the position, and doesn't do a good job run blocking either. Wragge I might keep because he's a solid player and actually more reliable than Baas or Chilo. Canfield I like a lot, not a 1st rounder where we're going to get an impact player which is good, and he's a pretty accurate QB.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by genus49:
I like it and too many people are b***hing about the pass rush. WE ARE 11TH IN SACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet we could barely touch Aaron Rodgers the most sacked QB in the league.

You stay content with us piling up sacks against crap teams...I actually want this team to be consistent at something.

Didn't know the Cards sucked. They had a great gameplan that day, it had nothing to do with our pass rushers. My brother is a die hard GB fan and he watches every game and even he said that he had never seen Aaron get rid of the ball so fast.

Arizona is a rare breed because we match up very well against them. A lot of our sacks are coverage sacks in those games too.

Here is the list of how many sacks we got against each team and where each team ranks in terms of sacks given up

arizona - 3 - 24th
seattle - 1 - 9th
MIN - 2 -12th
STL - 5 - 11th
ATL - 0 -25th
HOU - 2 - 28th
IND - 3(all DL) - 32nd
TEN - 1 - 31st
CHI - 0 - 14th
GB - 2 - 1st
Jax - 6 - 8th
Sea - 5 -9th
ARI - 4 - 24th
PHI - 0 - 13th
DET - 2 - 7th

As you can see...pretty inconsistent. We probably did the best of any team against Indy this year as they had the best pass protection but all 3 of the sacks came from our DL, so the guys we have as our pass rushers didn't do much.

I think if any game showed what happens when we get out schemed it's Atlanta when we couldn't sack Ryan even once and we all know how that game went. Now I don't expect to get a sack every game but to get to the playoffs and go far you need to be more consistent at rushing the passer.

The GB game those 2 sacks came late when the game was already out of reach...that can't happen when you face a team who has given up all those sacks.

Oh and in comparison we were 10th on the list of sacks given up.

Thank you very much for this post. Everyone thinks we have a pass rush, we do not. This has been stated on other shows. Against good teams there is no pressure, against bad teams we do.
We thought we had our pass rush answered this past off season with the extension of Haralson and the hope Lawson would become a threat. They were not the answer. Now we go into this season hoping Brooks will be the answer.
If you think we have a pass rush, watch the 1st half of the Atl, Houston, and GB game.

Give it up. We have been getting more than enough pressure on QB's. It our QB that needs to perform, I should say the whole offense. Brooks was a top 15 talent till he screwed up. He has shined with this opportunity and its his job to have. The 3 man rotation has worked great so no reason to change it.

Give it up? Watch those three games and see how much pressure we put on those QBs. We lack speed and pass rush. Look at the Philly game in the 1st half too. People look too much at our games like Arizona and St. Louis that they don't see the games in between.

Brooks was a top 15 talent as an INSIDE LINEBACKER not a pass rushing outside linebacker. He still has a lot to prove. He has a good burst off the snap, but lacks moves.

Since the 3 man rotation our sack totals have went up. Its not just on Brooks. All of our rushers have produced the last 4 games. Our defense isn't our problem. It is the offense.

Really? In our last 2 games we got to McNabb 0 times and against a crap Detroit team we only sacked them twice. The 2 games before that we got 9 sacks total. How's that for consistency?

And once again you keep saying it's the offense that's the problem. Why can't we address both? Are you really content with our defense? Look at Baltimore. After their superbowl season they went defense in the first round 4 times out of the last 9 years. If we're looking at first or second round then it becomes 7 out of 9.

It just proves you can always get better. The more you stay content the worse your team gets.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I love that you cut Snyder, also like Lutui and Washington and LaBoy in FA. Only problem is no CBA=no cap=no Lutui and BMarsh. We won't have a CBA so we'll be uncapped. I'd love that FA if we did though. I wouldn't select Ducasse that high but he could turn out to be a nice player. It's a pretty radical mock but I kind of like it. Good job Kolohe.

edit: oh yeah I love that you pick Earl Thomas with that 1st rounder. I'd definitely take him, he's definitely going to be the 2nd safety taken. I don't see how people can not want a guy who had 8 INTs this year. We need a ball hawking safety like him in the middle.

Thank God, FINALLY there's someone who likes it!!!!

I just hope now that Earl Thomas declares.
I like it and too many people are b***hing about the pass rush. WE ARE 11TH IN SACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet we could barely touch Aaron Rodgers the most sacked QB in the league.

You stay content with us piling up sacks against crap teams...I actually want this team to be consistent at something.

Didn't know the Cards sucked. They had a great gameplan that day, it had nothing to do with our pass rushers. My brother is a die hard GB fan and he watches every game and even he said that he had never seen Aaron get rid of the ball so fast.

Arizona is a rare breed because we match up very well against them. A lot of our sacks are coverage sacks in those games too.

Here is the list of how many sacks we got against each team and where each team ranks in terms of sacks given up

arizona - 3 - 24th
seattle - 1 - 9th
MIN - 2 -12th
STL - 5 - 11th
ATL - 0 -25th
HOU - 2 - 28th
IND - 3(all DL) - 32nd
TEN - 1 - 31st
CHI - 0 - 14th
GB - 2 - 1st
Jax - 6 - 8th
Sea - 5 -9th
ARI - 4 - 24th
PHI - 0 - 13th
DET - 2 - 7th

As you can see...pretty inconsistent. We probably did the best of any team against Indy this year as they had the best pass protection but all 3 of the sacks came from our DL, so the guys we have as our pass rushers didn't do much.

I think if any game showed what happens when we get out schemed it's Atlanta when we couldn't sack Ryan even once and we all know how that game went. Now I don't expect to get a sack every game but to get to the playoffs and go far you need to be more consistent at rushing the passer.

The GB game those 2 sacks came late when the game was already out of reach...that can't happen when you face a team who has given up all those sacks.

Oh and in comparison we were 10th on the list of sacks given up.

Thank you very much for this post. Everyone thinks we have a pass rush, we do not. This has been stated on other shows. Against good teams there is no pressure, against bad teams we do.
We thought we had our pass rush answered this past off season with the extension of Haralson and the hope Lawson would become a threat. They were not the answer. Now we go into this season hoping Brooks will be the answer.
If you think we have a pass rush, watch the 1st half of the Atl, Houston, and GB game.

Give it up. We have been getting more than enough pressure on QB's. It our QB that needs to perform, I should say the whole offense. Brooks was a top 15 talent till he screwed up. He has shined with this opportunity and its his job to have. The 3 man rotation has worked great so no reason to change it.

Give it up? Watch those three games and see how much pressure we put on those QBs. We lack speed and pass rush. Look at the Philly game in the 1st half too. People look too much at our games like Arizona and St. Louis that they don't see the games in between.

Brooks was a top 15 talent as an INSIDE LINEBACKER not a pass rushing outside linebacker. He still has a lot to prove. He has a good burst off the snap, but lacks moves.

Since the 3 man rotation our sack totals have went up. Its not just on Brooks. All of our rushers have produced the last 4 games. Our defense isn't our problem. It is the offense.

Really? In our last 2 games we got to McNabb 0 times and against a crap Detroit team we only sacked them twice. The 2 games before that we got 9 sacks total. How's that for consistency?

And once again you keep saying it's the offense that's the problem. Why can't we address both? Are you really content with our defense? Look at Baltimore. After their superbowl season they went defense in the first round 4 times out of the last 9 years. If we're looking at first or second round then it becomes 7 out of 9.

It just proves you can always get better. The more you stay content the worse your team gets.

Rod Brooks stated that McNabb was not sacked nor was he ever hit. That's sad.

One question for the O-line, I don't think we have the coaches to develop these players. Rachal, Baas, Snyder look like the same players when we drafted them. They make too many fundamental mistakes but are physically gifted players. So is it talent or coaching?
Also we can draft 2 O-lineman in the 1st round, but I can't think of a team offhand that has done well starting two rookies.
[ Edited by FunkNinerFlex on Jan 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM ]
Wow after Mayock gives praise to Vlad Ducasse all of a sudden hes going in the 1st round of peoples Mock Drafts....go figure!!!
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
Wow after Mayock gives praise to Vlad Ducasse all of a sudden hes going in the 1st round of peoples Mock Drafts....go figure!!!

Haha
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Check the date of my Mock and when Mayock praised him.

I have one word for you on Ducasse - REACH!
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

I have one word for you on Ducasse - REACH!

That's still my concern. Iupati and Asamoah are both guards who will go before Ducasse. Iupati will be a 1st rounder. Asamoah and Ducasse will both be 2nd rounders.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Players not re-signed, retired and key releases

Mark Roman - Had the best year as a 9er in 2009, but its time we upgraded.
Marcus Hudson - Hasn't really been much of a factor on defense or ST's, time to give a rookie a shot.
Arnaz Battle - Thanks for all your hard work and everything you've done in SF. But I think its time to move on.
Walt Harris - He surprised me from the start when he was signed, and I loved having him as a 9er, but like Battle, its time to move on. Although I'd love to have him and Bly, we kinda need to get younger at this position.
Isaac Bruce - Man it was fun having him as a 9er (for me at least), I wish things had worked out better with Bruce. Time to retire it was a weird having him as a 9er though I'll tell you that.
Adam Snyder - His troubles pass-blocking followed him in the 2010 Pre-Season, surprise cut here.
Tony Wragge - Release makes way for rookies and Cody Wallace.
Demetric Evans - Non factor all season, we go with a rookie instead.

I like all of these moves.

Quote:

Re-Signed/Extended

Barry Sims - Underrated team player of the year, IMO at least.
Ahmad Brooks - Should push Haralson next year for the starting gig, putting him back to 3rd down pass-rusher.
Vernon Davis - No question he should be re-signed. If he doesn't break 1,000 yards this year, he'll do it next year under a new contract.
Patrick Willis - We need to lock up the leader of our defense ASAP.
Abrayo Franklin - Tagged.
Dre Bly - Had a good year for us, we definitely gotta have him back.(two-year contract)

Good moves here. Only question is if Willis and Davis want to get resigned this year. They might want to wait a few years when their value will go up.

Quote:

Free Agency

Brandon Marshall - Yah yah, I know hes a headcase, don't look at me, it was McCloughan that signed him.

Deuce Lutui - We finally get a mauler to help open up some lanes for Frank Gore. He'll also make Glen Coffee look good too. I bet Chilo Rachal would be happy to see him.

Leon Washington - Familiar with OC Raye and the PR we've been looking for.

Travis LaBoy - Gave the Bay Area a home town discount. Been off for a year to get healthy, but he's back to provide some much needed pass-rush.

Only one of these I don't like is the Marshall signing--besides we'd have to give up some serious draft picks to land him, probably at least one of our firsts.

Quote:

**2010 NFL Draft**

1a. Earl Thomas FS - With Eric Berry out of reach we look to another Ballhawking Safety.....Finally!!!

1b. Vladimir Ducasse OT - Big athletic OT who can also play Guard if need be. Small school version of Michael Oher.

I like picking a lineman in the first but Ducasse projects to be a guard in the NFL and I'm not so sure that Thomas is worth our 1a. Besides at least one of these 1sts would have to be given up to get Marshall.

Quote:

2nd. Kyle Wilson CB - Speedy CB who can also help on Special Teams. Asante Samuel clone.

3rd. Jon Jerry OG - Will be our swing Guard and battle Rachal for playing time.

4th. Sean Canfield QB - Just watched the Oregon St. vs. Portland St. game today, and I'm loving Canfiled's arm strength, footwork and quick release. Also has a very nice deep ball. I know the fan favorite around here is Nate Davis, but I'm not sold on him, besides Shaun Hill or/and Alex Smith could be gone in 2011.

I've no problem with any of these picks. I might go with Patrick Robinson at CB in the 2nd since Kyle Wilson will likely go in the 3rd or 4th round.

Quote:

5th. Cam Thomas NT - Rotational player who will relieve Abrayo Franklin when needed.

6th. AJ Wallace CB - Big CB who can also return kicks. Not a bad hitter either. Adds more speed to our secondary.

7th. Blaze Soares ILB/OLB - Can play inside or outside. Squatty player like Jeff Ulbrich, only he can rush the passer. Isn't too bad in coverage either. **cough** homer pick **cough**

Not bad. Like the pick of a NT to relieve Franklin.

Quote:

Depth Chart

Offense

QB - Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Nate Davis, Sean Canfield
RB - Frank Gore, Glenn Coffee, Leon Washington
FB - Moran Norris, Michael Robinson
WR - Michael Crabtree, Brandon Marshall, Josh Morgan, Jason Hill
TE - Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker
OT - Joe Staley, Vladimir Ducasse, Barry Sims, Alex Boone
OG - Chilo Rachal, Deuce Lutui, David Baas, Jon Jerry
OC - Eric Heitmann, Cody Wallace

I think Miller will get his shot at starting FB and it will be him or M-Rob

Quote:

Defense

ILB - Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes, Matt Wilhelm, Scott McKlillop, Blaze Soares
OLB - Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson, Ahmad brooks, Travis LaBoy
NT - Abrayo Franklin, Cam Thomas
DE - Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, Kentwan Balmer, Ricky Jean-Francois
FS - Earl Thomas, Reggie Smith
SS - Michael Lewis, Dashon Goldson
CB - Nate Clements, Shawntae Spencer, Kyle Wilson, Dre Bly, Tarrell Brown, AJ Wallace

My concern with Lewis is his concussion history.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
Players not re-signed, retired and key releases

Mark Roman - Had the best year as a 9er in 2009, but its time we upgraded.
Marcus Hudson - Hasn't really been much of a factor on defense or ST's, time to give a rookie a shot.
Arnaz Battle - Thanks for all your hard work and everything you've done in SF. But I think its time to move on.
Walt Harris - He surprised me from the start when he was signed, and I loved having him as a 9er, but like Battle, its time to move on. Although I'd love to have him and Bly, we kinda need to get younger at this position.
Isaac Bruce - Man it was fun having him as a 9er (for me at least), I wish things had worked out better with Bruce. Time to retire it was a weird having him as a 9er though I'll tell you that.
Adam Snyder - His troubles pass-blocking followed him in the 2010 Pre-Season, surprise cut here.
Tony Wragge - Release makes way for rookies and Cody Wallace.
Demetric Evans - Non factor all season, we go with a rookie instead.

Re-Signed/Extended

Barry Sims - Underrated team player of the year, IMO at least.
Ahmad Brooks - Should push Haralson next year for the starting gig, putting him back to 3rd down pass-rusher.
Vernon Davis - No question he should be re-signed. If he doesn't break 1,000 yards this year, he'll do it next year under a new contract.
Patrick Willis - We need to lock up the leader of our defense ASAP.
Abrayo Franklin - Tagged.
Dre Bly - Had a good year for us, we definitely gotta have him back.(two-year contract)

Free Agency

Brandon Marshall - Yah yah, I know hes a headcase, don't look at me, it was McCloughan that signed him.

Deuce Lutui - We finally get a mauler to help open up some lanes for Frank Gore. He'll also make Glen Coffee look good too. I bet Chilo Rachal would be happy to see him.

Leon Washington - Familiar with OC Raye and the PR we've been looking for.

Travis LaBoy - Gave the Bay Area a home town discount. Been off for a year to get healthy, but he's back to provide some much needed pass-rush.

**2010 NFL Draft**

1a. Earl Thomas FS - With Eric Berry out of reach we look to another Ballhawking Safety.....Finally!!!

1b. Vladimir Ducasse OT - Big athletic OT who can also play Guard if need be. Small school version of Michael Oher.

2nd. Kyle Wilson CB - Speedy CB who can also help on Special Teams. Asante Samuel clone.

3rd. Jon Jerry OG - Will be our swing Guard and battle Rachal for playing time.

4th. Sean Canfield QB - Just watched the Oregon St. vs. Portland St. game today, and I'm loving Canfiled's arm strength, footwork and quick release. Also has a very nice deep ball. I know the fan favorite around here is Nate Davis, but I'm not sold on him, besides Shaun Hill or/and Alex Smith could be gone in 2011.

5th. Cam Thomas NT - Rotational player who will relieve Abrayo Franklin when needed.

6th. AJ Wallace CB - Big CB who can also return kicks. Not a bad hitter either. Adds more speed to our secondary.

7th. Blaze Soares ILB/OLB - Can play inside or outside. Squatty player like Jeff Ulbrich, only he can rush the passer. Isn't too bad in coverage either. **cough** homer pick **cough**

Depth Chart

Offense

QB - Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Nate Davis, Sean Canfield
RB - Frank Gore, Glenn Coffee, Leon Washington
FB - Moran Norris, Michael Robinson
WR - Michael Crabtree, Brandon Marshall, Josh Morgan, Jason Hill
TE - Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker
OT - Joe Staley, Vladimir Ducasse, Barry Sims, Alex Boone
OG - Chilo Rachal, Deuce Lutui, Jon Jerry
OC - Eric Heitmann, Cody Wallace

Defense

ILB - Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes, Matt Wilhelm, Scott McKlillop, Blaze Soares
OLB - Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson, Ahmad brooks, Travis LaBoy
NT - Abrayo Franklin, Cam Thomas
DE - Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, Kentwan Balmer, Ricky Jean-Francois
FS - Earl Thomas, Reggie Smith
SS - Michael Lewis, Dashon Goldson
CB - Nate Clements, Shawntae Spencer, Dre Bly, Tarrell Brown, AJ Wallace

Special Teams

K - Joe Nedney
P - Andy Lee
LS - Brian Jennings

Well that's my 2010 Off-Season/Draft in a nutshell....please be gentle.

Thoughts:

Snyder isn't going anywhere. He's done a much better job at RT with Smith at the helm, and he has the ability to play OG. Coaches love him, and he's a locker room favorite.

If David Baas isn't resigned, then Tony Wragge isn't going anywhere.

I don't think Marshall is going to sign with us, judging by our current lineup at WR - youth movement. We got Crabtree, and a better signing - price and #2 WR-wise - would be Malcom Floyd from the Chargers.

I like the other FA signings, but Washington will be a question mark during the offseason.

With the season that Goldson had, and since you didn't release Lewis, I don't see the 49ers going FS in the first round. I like that you drafted an OT with the second 1st round pick, but I am not high Vlad, especially that high in the first.

Pretty early with CB if we are resigning Bly. If we pick a CB in the 2nd, I think its going to be that we don't resign Bly/Harris, and he'll have ST potential as a KR/PR.

I don't want to be too critical. You target the right positions in your mock plan, but the selections and specific players leave me scratching my head for some.

I love the idea of getting Floyd. A big target that will be seing single coverage, someone you can just throw it up to in the redzone or if the qb has nowhere else to go.