There are 264 users in the forums

Mods Mock 2010 Off-Season/Draft

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
I like it and too many people are b***hing about the pass rush. WE ARE 11TH IN SACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet we could barely touch Aaron Rodgers the most sacked QB in the league.

You stay content with us piling up sacks against crap teams...I actually want this team to be consistent at something.

We sacked Peyton 3 times and he has only been sacked 18 times all year.

See above.
I like it and too many people are b***hing about the pass rush. WE ARE 11TH IN SACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You stay content with us piling up sacks against crap teams...I actually want this team to be consistent at something.

Didn't know the Cards sucked. They had a great gameplan that day, it had nothing to do with our pass rushers. My brother is a die hard GB fan and he watches every game and even he said that he had never seen Aaron get rid of the ball so fast.

Arizona is a rare breed because we match up very well against them. A lot of our sacks are coverage sacks in those games too.

Here is the list of how many sacks we got against each team and where each team ranks in terms of sacks given up

arizona - 3 - 24th
seattle - 1 - 9th
MIN - 2 -12th
STL - 5 - 11th
ATL - 0 -25th
HOU - 2 - 28th
IND - 3(all DL) - 32nd
TEN - 1 - 31st
CHI - 0 - 14th
GB - 2 - 1st
Jax - 6 - 8th
Sea - 5 -9th
ARI - 4 - 24th
PHI - 0 - 13th
DET - 2 - 7th

As you can see...pretty inconsistent. We probably did the best of any team against Indy this year as they had the best pass protection but all 3 of the sacks came from our DL, so the guys we have as our pass rushers didn't do much.

I think if any game showed what happens when we get out schemed it's Atlanta when we couldn't sack Ryan even once and we all know how that game went. Now I don't expect to get a sack every game but to get to the playoffs and go far you need to be more consistent at rushing the passer.

The GB game those 2 sacks came late when the game was already out of reach...that can't happen when you face a team who has given up all those sacks.

Oh and in comparison we were 10th on the list of sacks given up.

Thank you very much for this post. Everyone thinks we have a pass rush, we do not. This has been stated on other shows. Against good teams there is no pressure, against bad teams we do.
We thought we had our pass rush answered this past off season with the extension of Haralson and the hope Lawson would become a threat. They were not the answer. Now we go into this season hoping Brooks will be the answer.
If you think we have a pass rush, watch the 1st half of the Atl, Houston, and GB game.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by teeohh:
You want to keep 4 quarterbacks on the roster?

I just see that as a waste of a 4th round pick if you're going to keep Hill.

Like I said Smith or Hill will most likely be gone in 2011, why not have another young QB on the roster for a YEAR. BTW you haven't seen Canfield play have you, dude is oozing with potential. If you saw Matt Moore beat the s**t outta the Giants we might want to take a flyer on Canfield, IMO, the same mold.
I like it. Good job my friend. Who ever said Marshall can go to Seattle must be joking. I'd rather have a diva tearing apart our locker room than tearing up our defense.

See above.

One game. Great scheme. Even the Vikes had a game without a sack. WOW!! U don't judge a season on one game. LOL.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:

Didn't know the Cards sucked. They had a great gameplan that day, it had nothing to do with our pass rushers. My brother is a die hard GB fan and he watches every game and even he said that he had never seen Aaron get rid of the ball so fast.

Arizona is a rare breed because we match up very well against them. A lot of our sacks are coverage sacks in those games too.

Here is the list of how many sacks we got against each team and where each team ranks in terms of sacks given up

arizona - 3 - 24th
seattle - 1 - 9th
MIN - 2 -12th
STL - 5 - 11th
ATL - 0 -25th
HOU - 2 - 28th
IND - 3(all DL) - 32nd
TEN - 1 - 31st
CHI - 0 - 14th
GB - 2 - 1st
Jax - 6 - 8th
Sea - 5 -9th
ARI - 4 - 24th
PHI - 0 - 13th
DET - 2 - 7th

As you can see...pretty inconsistent. We probably did the best of any team against Indy this year as they had the best pass protection but all 3 of the sacks came from our DL, so the guys we have as our pass rushers didn't do much.

I think if any game showed what happens when we get out schemed it's Atlanta when we couldn't sack Ryan even once and we all know how that game went. Now I don't expect to get a sack every game but to get to the playoffs and go far you need to be more consistent at rushing the passer.

The GB game those 2 sacks came late when the game was already out of reach...that can't happen when you face a team who has given up all those sacks.

Thank you very much for this post. Everyone thinks we have a pass rush, we do not. This has been stated on other shows. Against good teams there is no pressure, against bad teams we do.
We thought we had our pass rush answered this past off season with the extension of Haralson and the hope Lawson would become a threat. They were not the answer. Now we go into this season hoping Brooks will be the answer.
If you think we have a pass rush, watch the 1st half of the Atl, Houston, and GB game.

Give it up. We have been getting more than enough pressure on QB's. It our QB that needs to perform, I should say the whole offense. Brooks was a top 15 talent till he screwed up. He has shined with this opportunity and its his job to have. The 3 man rotation has worked great so no reason to change it.
[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Jan 2, 2010 at 9:52 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by marshniners24:
I like it. Good job my friend. Who ever said Marshall can go to Seattle must be joking. I'd rather have a diva tearing apart our locker room than tearing up our defense.

Thanks bro.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

arizona - 3 - 24th
seattle - 1 - 9th
MIN - 2 -12th
STL - 5 - 11th
ATL - 0 -25th
HOU - 2 - 28th
IND - 3(all DL) - 32nd
TEN - 1 - 31st
CHI - 0 - 14th
GB - 2 - 1st
Jax - 6 - 8th
Sea - 5 -9th
ARI - 4 - 24th
PHI - 0 - 13th
DET - 2 - 7th

Give it up. We have been getting more than enough pressure on QB's. It our QB that needs to perform, I should say the whole offense. Brooks was a top 15 talent till he screwed up. He has shined with this opportunity and its his job to have. The 3 man rotation has worked great so no reason to change it.

I think Brooks will be even better next year, now that hes back in the groove. People forget how much football hes missed due to injuries and off field issues. Brooks has done a good job with how little time he was given. And Travis LaBoy is quicker off the snap than any of our LB's, he can bring the pressure.

See above.

One game. Great scheme. Even the Vikes had a game without a sack. WOW!! U don't judge a season on one game. LOL.

I was going to argue with you...but now that I'm reading it again and I'm not sure if you're proving my point or arguing against it lol.

But cuz I'm paranoid I'll treat this as an argument ;)

Using the Colts game as proof of having a pass rush is a joke. I specifically wrote down where all the sacks came from in that game because I knew people would throw that stat out there and it was mentioned during the game.

The thing is we came into that game with a great game plan and awesome scheming on defense. I don't think Manning looked worse against another team all year. We did great against their passing game but those sacks were due more to the coverage than actual pressure. When your sacks come from your run stoppers - Soap and Franklin you can't take that as success. Ray Mac is the man tho but he's still a DL. What we need is an OLB who can rush the passer if we want to stick in a 3-4. That's where the pressure needs to come from and be consistent.

It doesn't always have to result in sacks...hell sometimes a pressure is better so you can get easier interceptions.

I'm not saying we have no pass rush at all but it's very inconsistent and that won't change until we have a legit playmaker at OLB. A guy you can put out there and have him go one on one vs the OT. This way you don't have to scheme your pass rush and just let your guys make plays. If you have one guy like that he makes the rest of the team much better.

Look at the patriots defense. They suck this year because for the first time in a long while they don't have a guy like McGinest or Vrabel who consistently get to the QB.

Looking at the numbers I posted earlier the 0's jump out - Atlanta, Chicago and Philly. We all know how suck Cutler was in the Chicago game...but the other 2 games are the type of teams we will need to beat to get into the playoffs and do something there.

What happens when you can't scheme a pass rush? You get blown out and get taken deep.

I think this defense can be GREAT. But until we get a top rusher it won't get there because our safeties will continue to get beat when the opposing QB has time to throw the ball.

arizona - 3 - 24th
seattle - 1 - 9th
MIN - 2 -12th
STL - 5 - 11th
ATL - 0 -25th
HOU - 2 - 28th
IND - 3(all DL) - 32nd
TEN - 1 - 31st
CHI - 0 - 14th
GB - 2 - 1st
Jax - 6 - 8th
Sea - 5 -9th
ARI - 4 - 24th
PHI - 0 - 13th
DET - 2 - 7th

Jesus man you don't get it do you? The numbers are staring you right in the face. If I wasn't lazy I'd try to dig up some threads from this time last year when people here were saying the same crap "we don't need a pass rusher, we have Haralson"

You can't stay content. A pass rush is HUGE for the defense. Get a pass rush and it makes life so much easier for everyone else.

And Brooks was a top 15 talent at MLB which is very different from being an OLB in a 3-4. The coaches say he's a long way away. You want to rely on him suddenly turning into Ware? I sure don't. Like I said...what's the worst thing that happens? We draft a guy and then Brooks turns into that stud anyways? Well we have 2 starting OLB spots. Sounds perfect to me. Unless of course you think Haralson/Lawson deserves to be a starter?

arizona - 3 - 24th
seattle - 1 - 9th
MIN - 2 -12th
STL - 5 - 11th
ATL - 0 -25th
HOU - 2 - 28th
IND - 3(all DL) - 32nd
TEN - 1 - 31st
CHI - 0 - 14th
GB - 2 - 1st
Jax - 6 - 8th
Sea - 5 -9th
ARI - 4 - 24th
PHI - 0 - 13th
DET - 2 - 7th

Give it up? Watch those three games and see how much pressure we put on those QBs. We lack speed and pass rush. Look at the Philly game in the 1st half too. People look too much at our games like Arizona and St. Louis that they don't see the games in between.

Brooks was a top 15 talent as an INSIDE LINEBACKER not a pass rushing outside linebacker. He still has a lot to prove. He has a good burst off the snap, but lacks moves.
Quote:
Brandon Marshall - Yah yah, I know hes a headcase, don't look at me, it was McCloughan that signed him.

arizona - 3 - 24th
seattle - 1 - 9th
MIN - 2 -12th
STL - 5 - 11th
ATL - 0 -25th
HOU - 2 - 28th
IND - 3(all DL) - 32nd
TEN - 1 - 31st
CHI - 0 - 14th
GB - 2 - 1st
Jax - 6 - 8th
Sea - 5 -9th
ARI - 4 - 24th
PHI - 0 - 13th
DET - 2 - 7th

Give it up? Watch those three games and see how much pressure we put on those QBs. We lack speed and pass rush. Look at the Philly game in the 1st half too. People look too much at our games like Arizona and St. Louis that they don't see the games in between.

Brooks was a top 15 talent as an INSIDE LINEBACKER not a pass rushing outside linebacker. He still has a lot to prove. He has a good burst off the snap, but lacks moves.

Since the 3 man rotation our sack totals have went up. Its not just on Brooks. All of our rushers have produced the last 4 games. Our defense isn't our problem. It is the offense.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Thoughts:

Snyder isn't going anywhere. He's done a much better job at RT with Smith at the helm, and he has the ability to play OG. Coaches love him, and he's a locker room favorite.

Snyder would be great for depth, but he's not a starting-caliber talent. Yes, he's a great guy, but he's allowed 9 whopping sacks on the QB this season (and he trips more than any other OL we have).

RT is the biggest priority on our line, and we need a fresh/elite first-round player to fill the gap. Most (elite) teams can turn their bargain-bin linemen into Pro-bowlers, but we just don't have that type of coaching staff, so we gotta rely on 'pure talent'.
I love that you cut Snyder, also like Lutui and Washington and LaBoy in FA. Only problem is no CBA=no cap=no Lutui and BMarsh. We won't have a CBA so we'll be uncapped. I'd love that FA if we did though. I wouldn't select Ducasse that high but he could turn out to be a nice player. It's a pretty radical mock but I kind of like it. Good job Kolohe.

edit: oh yeah I love that you pick Earl Thomas with that 1st rounder. I'd definitely take him, he's definitely going to be the 2nd safety taken. I don't see how people can not want a guy who had 8 INTs this year. We need a ball hawking safety like him in the middle.
[ Edited by WillistheWall on Jan 3, 2010 at 1:48 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone