There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mods Mock 2010 Off-Season/Draft

  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,124
Originally posted by ninergold:
I like a lot of what you suggested. I really like Lutui and LaBoy, coming as under the radar free agents.

I also think Snyder has to stick, just from sheer versatility. Same with Wragge. Those guys are valuable.

Hudson, Evans, Battle...I think they're not adding much. But I can't see taking a safety that high. I'm thinking an OL and the front 7 of the defense could use some help.

They also can't add another developmental QB. Those guys won't get enough reps to grow.

Thanks.

Adam Snyder, has given up the most sacks in the league (according to a thread in 9ertalk), I was just going by that. And as I've said in my comments, his pass-blocking problems follow him in the Pre-Season, which was a reason for his release.

Tony Wragge, Hes been serviceable, true, but its just one of those things where we need to TRY and upgrade at his position. He may or may not go anywhere, but in my Mocks case it was a numbers thing. And as you can see Cody Wallace is finally getting a shot.

Sean Canfield, well like I said, Alex Smith and/or Shaun Hill may not be back in 2011. Why not have another QB waiting in the wings. I'm not sold on Nate Davis by any means. Besides its not like we haven't kept 4 QB's before.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Marshall and Letui will most likely be RFA's so we'd have to give-up draft picks to sign them.

Ducasse in the 1st would surprise the hell out of me, but a lot can happen between now and late April.

I picked my free agents from Walterfootball.com, but according to them Marshall and Lutui won't be RFA's. Don't know how reliable they are though.

They must have it based on having in CBA in place. But since niether one has been in the league for six seasons they'll be RFA's without a new agreement. Unfortunately pretty much any player under 30 will be an RFA unless they've been released.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Re-Signed/Extended

Barry Sims - Underrated team player of the year, IMO at least.
Ahmad Brooks - Should push Haralson next year for the starting gig, putting him back to 3rd down pass-rusher.
Vernon Davis - No question he should be re-signed. If he doesn't break 1,000 yards this year, he'll do it next year under a new contract.
Patrick Willis - We need to lock up the leader of our defense ASAP.
Abrayo Franklin - Tagged.
Dre Bly - Had a good year for us, we definitely gotta have him back.(two-year contract)

I'd love to see Willis and VD resigned but I don't think Willis will sign a contract extension this year. VD might if we throw Brent Celek money at him. If I were Willis I'd wait 'til the last year of my contract then I can go to management and say "Do you want to let a five-time Pro Bowler slip away? If not pay me #1 LB money." If he signs now he probably wouldn't get top 5 money.

Quote:

Free Agency

Brandon Marshall - Yah yah, I know hes a headcase, don't look at me, it was McCloughan that signed him.

Deuce Lutui - We finally get a mauler to help open up some lanes for Frank Gore. He'll also make Glen Coffee look good too. I bet Chilo Rachal would be happy to see him.

Leon Washington - Familiar with OC Raye and the PR we've been looking for.

Travis LaBoy - Gave the Bay Area a home town discount. Been off for a year to get healthy, but he's back to provide some much needed pass-rush.

Like all of these but the Marshall signing. If you want to sign a troublesome star you might as well resign T.O.

Quote:

**2010 NFL Draft**

1a. Earl Thomas FS - With Eric Berry out of reach we look to another Ballhawking Safety.....Finally!!!

1b. Vladimir Ducasse OT - Big athletic OT who can also play Guard if need be. Small school version of Michael Oher.

2nd. Kyle Wilson CB - Speedy CB who can also help on Special Teams. Asante Samuel clone.

3rd. Jon Jerry OG - Will be our swing Guard and battle Rachal for playing time.

4th. Sean Canfield QB - Just watched the Oregon St. vs. Portland St. game today, and I'm loving Canfiled's arm strength, footwork and quick release. Also has a very nice deep ball. I know the fan favorite around here is Nate Davis, but I'm not sold on him, besides Shaun Hill or/and Alex Smith could be gone in 2011.

5th. Cam Thomas NT - Rotational player who will relieve Abrayo Franklin when needed.

6th. AJ Wallace CB - Big CB who can also return kicks. Not a bad hitter either. Adds more speed to our secondary.

7th. Blaze Soares ILB/OLB - Can play inside or outside. Squatty player like Jeff Ulbrich, only he can rush the passer. Isn't too bad in coverage either. **cough** homer pick **cough**

Do you really think Canfield slips to the 4th? He's generally rated as one of the top 5 or 6 QBs in this draft. I think Ducasse is a reach at 1b. I think that Iupati is a better option for us there and he's got the ability to play just about anywhere on the line.
I think not addressing OLB/DE in free agency or the draft just can't and won't happen.

I don't want any part of Brandon Marshall the guy is a disease and will f*ck this team up. I don't want him even though he's a great talent.

Personally I think your mock reaches quite a bit in the first round. I'm a big fan of Thomas but I think it's way too early to draft the guy and I also think it's way too early for us to go with taking a safety.

Ducasse....what? In the first round?

I think you should also swap the Jerry/Canfield rounds to make it more realistic.

Just my opinion of course.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,124
Originally posted by genus49:
I think not addressing OLB/DE in free agency or the draft just can't and won't happen.

I don't want any part of Brandon Marshall the guy is a disease and will f*ck this team up. I don't want him even though he's a great talent.

Personally I think your mock reaches quite a bit in the first round. I'm a big fan of Thomas but I think it's way too early to draft the guy and I also think it's way too early for us to go with taking a safety.

Ducasse....what? In the first round?

I think you should also swap the Jerry/Canfield rounds to make it more realistic.

Just my opinion of course.

Didn't I somewhat address the pass rushing LB in free agency with LaBoy?? I think its good that LaBoy took a year off to get healthy, because when healthy he is a beast.

IMO, Earl Thomas IF he declares will probably be the second Safety taken, if he runs good at the Combine. Poor mans Troy Polamalu without the hair. But I figure we will be drafting around 13-15, where I think is perfect position to draft Thomas.

Again, this is all speculation Pre-Combine Mocking, so Duccasse could go anywhere from middle to late 1st round to even the beginning of the 2nd. But, I'm gonna bet that he has an outstanding workout due to him being known as a hard worker.

Again all things could change once the Combine and Senior Bowl arrives.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by mayo63:

Agreed!

Here are some of my questions:

Michael Lewis sticks?

Marshall = TO version 2.0? Pass! Let him take his sorry ass to Seattle
L. Washington = Great player, but will want serious bank to move
D. Lutui and Travis LaBoy = Not bad

Draft: Too many DB's and not enough lineman, offense and defense. A FCS player in the late first? After signing Washington in Free agency, you draft two more KR's. How many do we need?

If we could make Michael, Mark Roman and Dashon Goldson work, we could do the same with Earl Thomas in there. Michael Lewis will most likely have a reduced role in things that all, with Goldson starting.

Brandon Marshall, dude is a player, no way would I want to face him twice in Seattle, much rather have him on our team.

Leon Washington, well after all we got somewhere around 50 million in cap space, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't over-spend for a KR/ST guy anyway.

My draft, well, I did get rid of Mark Roman, Walt Harris and Marcus Hudson. All I did IMO, is add speed to our secondary.

I like Washington, too but he was already in contract negotiations for an extension before he got hurt. He maybe the long term replacement for Thomas Jones, which could drive up the price.

Michael Lewis is just one concussion away from the unemployment line and he still doesn't have the speed to cover deep. "Making it work" isn't good enough anymore.

Which Brandon Marshall are we talking about? The one with 101 catches or the one who is being sat down for the second time this year by his coach? If the Niners do get him, I don't think he is the down the field burner that this team needs. Would I wish to see him on the Seahawks? Not really, but he could do more damage by being on our team than on a division rival.

I like the speed in the secondary, but I think we could use speed elsewhere, too.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by genus49:
I think not addressing OLB/DE in free agency or the draft just can't and won't happen.

I don't want any part of Brandon Marshall the guy is a disease and will f*ck this team up. I don't want him even though he's a great talent.

Personally I think your mock reaches quite a bit in the first round. I'm a big fan of Thomas but I think it's way too early to draft the guy and I also think it's way too early for us to go with taking a safety.

Ducasse....what? In the first round?

I think you should also swap the Jerry/Canfield rounds to make it more realistic.

Just my opinion of course.

Didn't I somewhat address the pass rushing LB in free agency with LaBoy?? I think its good that LaBoy took a year off to get healthy, because when healthy he is a beast.

IMO, Earl Thomas IF he declares will probably be the second Safety taken, if he runs good at the Combine. Poor mans Troy Polamalu without the hair. But I figure we will be drafting around 13-15, where I think is perfect position to draft Thomas.

Again, this is all speculation Pre-Combine Mocking, so Duccasse could go anywhere from middle to late 1st round to even the beginning of the 2nd. But, I'm gonna bet that he has an outstanding workout due to him being known as a hard worker.

Again all things could change once the Combine and Senior Bowl arrives.

I could very well see Thomas being the 2nd safety taken and he should be. I just don't think safety is a position that should be drafted that early unless they're an absolute stud and we don't have too many other needs.

I also think Duccasse isn't worth a first rounder. I don't even know if he'd fit best at OT and that's what we need first and foremost...unless Iupati is available just because he's that damn good.

Going back to the free agency. I was never a fan of Laboy he's a good player but nothing to really get excited about and he isn't much better than Lawson or Haralson. So he wouldn't bring in that pass rusher we desperately need.

Also I forgot to mention this but Marshall wouldn't be a free agent. Denver would trade him away and I sure as hell wouldn't want us giving up draft picks for that headcase because he'll also want a TON of money.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,124
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by mayo63:

Agreed!

Here are some of my questions:

Michael Lewis sticks?

Marshall = TO version 2.0? Pass! Let him take his sorry ass to Seattle
L. Washington = Great player, but will want serious bank to move
D. Lutui and Travis LaBoy = Not bad

Draft: Too many DB's and not enough lineman, offense and defense. A FCS player in the late first? After signing Washington in Free agency, you draft two more KR's. How many do we need?

If we could make Michael, Mark Roman and Dashon Goldson work, we could do the same with Earl Thomas in there. Michael Lewis will most likely have a reduced role in things that all, with Goldson starting.

Brandon Marshall, dude is a player, no way would I want to face him twice in Seattle, much rather have him on our team.

Leon Washington, well after all we got somewhere around 50 million in cap space, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't over-spend for a KR/ST guy anyway.

My draft, well, I did get rid of Mark Roman, Walt Harris and Marcus Hudson. All I did IMO, is add speed to our secondary.

I like Washington, too but he was already in contract negotiations for an extension before he got hurt. He maybe the long term replacement for Thomas Jones, which could drive up the price.

Michael Lewis is just one concussion away from the unemployment line and he still doesn't have the speed to cover deep. "Making it work" isn't good enough anymore.

Which Brandon Marshall are we talking about? The one with 101 catches or the one who is being sat down for the second time this year by his coach? If the Niners do get him, I don't think he is the down the field burner that this team needs. Would I wish to see him on the Seahawks? Not really, but he could do more damage by being on our team than on a division rival.

I like the speed in the secondary, but I think we could use speed elsewhere, too.

That's why Michael Lewis's role would be reduced, he still is very solid in run defense. Lewis usually plays closer to the LOS anyways.

As of now Washington didn't re-sign with the Jets so I'll leave as if he did make it to March.

Brandon Marshall, IMO I just think he doesn't like McDaniels, he was fine when Shanahan was there, its not like hes calling out his teammates or anything like that. I think Singletary can keep him in check, after all hes done a fine job with Vernon Davis and Ahmad Brooks who look to have been headcases.
I like it and too many people are b***hing about the pass rush. WE ARE 11TH IN SACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:


Brandon Marshall, IMO I just think he doesn't like McDaniels, he was fine when Shanahan was there, its not like hes calling out his teammates or anything like that. I think Singletary can keep him in check, after all hes done a fine job with Vernon Davis and Ahmad Brooks who look to have been headcases.

I think you're forgetting his off the field crap though. If I'm not crazy he's one strike away from a big suspension by the league. He has a laundry list of issues with law.

He's just not a guy you can rely on. And certainly not a guy I'd like to have around a kid like Michael Crabtree(we all saw what his entourage put in his head with the holdout)
You want to keep 4 quarterbacks on the roster?



I just see that as a waste of a 4th round pick if you're going to keep Hill.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
I like it and too many people are b***hing about the pass rush. WE ARE 11TH IN SACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet we could barely touch Aaron Rodgers the most sacked QB in the league.

You stay content with us piling up sacks against crap teams...I actually want this team to be consistent at something.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
I like it and too many people are b***hing about the pass rush. WE ARE 11TH IN SACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet we could barely touch Aaron Rodgers the most sacked QB in the league.

You stay content with us piling up sacks against crap teams...I actually want this team to be consistent at something.

Didn't know the Cards sucked. They had a great gameplan that day, it had nothing to do with our pass rushers. My brother is a die hard GB fan and he watches every game and even he said that he had never seen Aaron get rid of the ball so fast.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
I like it and too many people are b***hing about the pass rush. WE ARE 11TH IN SACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet we could barely touch Aaron Rodgers the most sacked QB in the league.

You stay content with us piling up sacks against crap teams...I actually want this team to be consistent at something.

Didn't know the Cards sucked. They had a great gameplan that day, it had nothing to do with our pass rushers. My brother is a die hard GB fan and he watches every game and even he said that he had never seen Aaron get rid of the ball so fast.

Arizona is a rare breed because we match up very well against them. A lot of our sacks are coverage sacks in those games too.

Here is the list of how many sacks we got against each team and where each team ranks in terms of sacks given up

arizona - 3 - 24th
seattle - 1 - 9th
MIN - 2 -12th
STL - 5 - 11th
ATL - 0 -25th
HOU - 2 - 28th
IND - 3(all DL) - 32nd
TEN - 1 - 31st
CHI - 0 - 14th
GB - 2 - 1st
Jax - 6 - 8th
Sea - 5 -9th
ARI - 4 - 24th
PHI - 0 - 13th
DET - 2 - 7th

As you can see...pretty inconsistent. We probably did the best of any team against Indy this year as they had the best pass protection but all 3 of the sacks came from our DL, so the guys we have as our pass rushers didn't do much.

I think if any game showed what happens when we get out schemed it's Atlanta when we couldn't sack Ryan even once and we all know how that game went. Now I don't expect to get a sack every game but to get to the playoffs and go far you need to be more consistent at rushing the passer.

The GB game those 2 sacks came late when the game was already out of reach...that can't happen when you face a team who has given up all those sacks.

Oh and in comparison we were 10th on the list of sacks given up.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
I like it and too many people are b***hing about the pass rush. WE ARE 11TH IN SACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet we could barely touch Aaron Rodgers the most sacked QB in the league.

You stay content with us piling up sacks against crap teams...I actually want this team to be consistent at something.

We sacked Peyton 3 times and he has only been sacked 18 times all year.