LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Jermaine Gresham anyone?

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I remember when the Titans picked Chris Johnson and everyone tore them apart for it because they were already good at RB. You can never have too much offensive weapons, regardless of the position they play. My argument is that having VD and Gresham on the field at the same time is more dangerous to the opposition than having VD, Walker and a lesser WR (lesser means that the WR is not as good as Gresham). Sure, if we can get a WR who is as talented as Gresham then I'm all for it, but why not overwhelm the defense, even if it is from the TE position?

I see where you're argument is coming from, and I agree it would be very good. I also agree with our play-calling, Gresham and VD on the line with Walker playing a possible F-back and/or slot-back would be much better than trying to put in a mediocre WR from the draft. But, too many questions still remain unanswered.

First, is he going to be the same TE he was last season? When will he be healthy enough again and can he produce for more than one season? How will he be with our run game?

Second, what will we be able to fix in FA? Is it worth it to spend a high draft pick on a TE when we have needs on the OL, where this draft is very top-heavy (haha) in the draft? Or not pick up a potential pass rusher to compliment our current core? Or not pick up secondary help with potential 2nd round Safety prospects?

Finally, how would this reflect on VD? Yes, he's improved as a team-player this season, but going into his contract year, how'd it look if we pick up a similar type of TE? He does have an ego and we definitely don't want to put his nose outta joint b/c our offense is really good with him and will get even better in the future.

If we can fix OL and KR in FA, then I wouldn't be against Gresham, but then I'd prefer to pick up Dickson from Oregon as stated by a poster earlier. He's a blocking TE who has deceptive speed. Would compliment our running game and allow VD to get open, while only costing us a 3rd at most.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
We don't need another tight end.

We have serious holes to fill.
I've been thinking the same thing as you Rollin'. Gresham is clearly better than Walker and would obviously upgrade our offense. Add to that the fact that he's injured and it'll push his value down and now we're talking about a serious steal and an offense with dynamic capabilities. Count me in on the Gresham bandwagon, I want to see exactly how far we can go with this spread 2TE formation.
Originally posted by krizay:
Choose your comments wisely!

vernon......... davis........
It's a thought. I'd take a close look at that knee though.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I remember when the Titans picked Chris Johnson and everyone tore them apart for it because they were already good at RB. You can never have too much offensive weapons, regardless of the position they play. My argument is that having VD and Gresham on the field at the same time is more dangerous to the opposition than having VD, Walker and a lesser WR (lesser means that the WR is not as good as Gresham). Sure, if we can get a WR who is as talented as Gresham then I'm all for it, but why not overwhelm the defense, even if it is from the TE position?

I see where you're argument is coming from, and I agree it would be very good. I also agree with our play-calling, Gresham and VD on the line with Walker playing a possible F-back and/or slot-back would be much better than trying to put in a mediocre WR from the draft. But, too many questions still remain unanswered.

First, is he going to be the same TE he was last season? When will he be healthy enough again and can he produce for more than one season? How will he be with our run game?

Second, what will we be able to fix in FA? Is it worth it to spend a high draft pick on a TE when we have needs on the OL, where this draft is very top-heavy (haha) in the draft? Or not pick up a potential pass rusher to compliment our current core? Or not pick up secondary help with potential 2nd round Safety prospects?

Finally, how would this reflect on VD? Yes, he's improved as a team-player this season, but going into his contract year, how'd it look if we pick up a similar type of TE? He does have an ego and we definitely don't want to put his nose outta joint b/c our offense is really good with him and will get even better in the future.

If we can fix OL and KR in FA, then I wouldn't be against Gresham, but then I'd prefer to pick up Dickson from Oregon as stated by a poster earlier. He's a blocking TE who has deceptive speed. Would compliment our running game and allow VD to get open, while only costing us a 3rd at most.

Your points are well taken. But the point of my thread is that if we lean so heavily on the 2 TE formation, maybe we should seriously consider a weapon at TE if he is a good value in the draft
Originally posted by crzy:
We don't need another tight end.

We have serious holes to fill.

co-signed.
OT. OG. OLB. DB. KR.

Seriously, we need to address these issues. And there are other positions such as C and QB that we may or may not need to address. We have no idea, yet, whether Wallace could step into Heit's shoes in the event of injury or not.

So candidly, bearing in mind the above needs and the poor depth in certain positions, the idea of using a fairly early pick on a third tight end may not be entirely sensible. 6th or 7th? Ok.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd take him over Walker, but I agree we have too many other more pressing needs. But, Griesham would look nice along side Vernon in a two TE set.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Not a chance. We have two receiving TE's already. A blocking third TE could be had in the later rounds, free agency or UDFA.
Share 49ersWebzone