LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

WR Arrelious Benn to Enter NFL Draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4747568

Quote:
Illinois junior wide receiver Arrelious Benn will declare later Wednesday that he is entering the NFL draft, sources briefed on the player's decision told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Benn is the third-ranked receiver by Todd McShay of Scouts Inc., behind Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant and Notre Dame's Golden Tate. Benn is ranked No. 33 overall on Scouts' list of draft prospects.

Benn 38 catches for 490 yards and two touchdowns this season and 159 catches for 2,221 yards and seven touchdowns for his career.

------------------------------------------------------------

OTC's comments:

His sheer size and speed will still likely have him going day one (most likely somewhere in the 2nd), despite his significant drop in numbers (which most are attributing more to awful QB play, and a bad Illini team rather than a lack of ability by Benn).
I always show love to my fellow DC natives, but this guy needs to go back to school. The pre season hype on this kid was really uncalled for. He wasn't that good imo and the hype just made it more evident that he wasn't an all around WR. size and speed yes but everything else is a question mark. Dc putting in nice number of athletes in the NFL for the very small population.
Does Darius Heyward Bey ring a bell?
220 lbs with speed. Somebody gets a terrific possession receiver at a minimum.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Does Darius Heyward Bey ring a bell?

thats fine

raiders will pick him

and allow a top prospect to fall again
Originally posted by lamontb:
I always show love to my fellow DC natives, but this guy needs to go back to school. The pre season hype on this kid was really uncalled for. He wasn't that good imo and the hype just made it more evident that he wasn't an all around WR. size and speed yes but everything else is a question mark. Dc putting in nice number of athletes in the NFL for the very small population.

No it wasn't at all.. Benn is a beast of a WR. It isn't his fault Juice Williams can't throw for s**t. He will be a great NFL wide receiver. He has the size to be a good Wide out and things didn't go his way. I don't know how many Illinois games you actually watched but its evident.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Originally posted by lamontb:

No it wasn't at all.. Benn is a beast of a WR. It isn't his fault Juice Williams can't throw for s**t. He will be a great NFL wide receiver. He has the size to be a good Wide out and things didn't go his way. I don't know how many Illinois games you actually watched but its evident.

I agree Juice is some garbage but I just don't see it. alot of guys have teh size and speed. Hope you are correct though
From watching Benn, his problem is that he sometimes allows the ball to get into his chest and when he tries to catch it with his body, he can have some drops.

But if you've watched Benn play, once he catches it, the acceleration from that point is incredible. Not to mention it often takes 2 or 3 guys to bring him down. Benn is like a much faster Hakeem Nicks, but perhaps not quite as good of hands (though Nicks had some pretty bad, yet uncharacteristic drops last week).
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
From watching Benn, his problem is that he sometimes allows the ball to get into his chest and when he tries to catch it with his body, he can have some drops.

But if you've watched Benn play, once he catches it, the acceleration from that point is incredible. Not to mention it often takes 2 or 3 guys to bring him down. Benn is like a much faster Hakeem Nicks, but perhaps not quite as good of hands (though Nicks had some pretty bad, yet uncharacteristic drops last week).

also it sucked for him to play with an inconsistent and option qb.
This guy is a great fit, even if we had to use a 2nd round pick. He could easily be another Anquan Boldin, Also he answers our issue at KR/PR. If we can land BPA 1st pick, hopefully Eric Berry or Joe Haden. Then our OT, with the 2nd round pick add Benn. Im almost sold on ahmad brooks being our OLB to get that pressure. Sign him up now to a 4 or 5 year deal.

Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
This guy is a great fit, even if we had to use a 2nd round pick. He could easily be another Anquan Boldin, Also he answers our issue at KR/PR. If we can land BPA 1st pick, hopefully Eric Berry or Joe Haden. Then our OT, with the 2nd round pick add Benn. Im almost sold on ahmad brooks being our OLB to get that pressure. Sign him up now to a 4 or 5 year deal.

I'd say wait and see if he falls to the 3rd. Unlikely, but his KR experience makes him an attractive prospect for us, considering we like big receivers who can block well, too.

I wouldn't mind at all if we took Benn, but only if he's BPA.
Share 49ersWebzone