LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

Gilyard VS Spiller VS Bryant

i want spiller!!!
IMO Spiller literally fills 4 positions. (3 of HUGE NEED!!!)

Change of pace running back
Kick returner
Punt returner
Slot receiver (in empty backfield, 5 WR set, not ahead of Hill/Jones in 3WR set).

What makes Spiller better than Gilyard?

What are the differences between Gilyard and Bryant?

Would it be worth it to trade back and get Gilyard and another draft pick or is Spiller a Reggie Bush?

[ Edited by Ninefan56 on Dec 20, 2009 at 08:48:09 ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
I want CJ Spiller!
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Spiller would be ideal. just look at people like chris johnson, derren sproles, percy harvin. they are game breakers on offense and special teams. taking a RB/KR/PR is smarter than taking a WR/KR/PR to us because we have some good depth at receiver. bruce will be let go but we have that loser jones and his contract taking up a roster spot so i dont think they want so many big contracts in one group of players. a RB to spell and possibly replace gore if he continues to struggle and an electrifying return man would greatly boost this team

There is no question that we need RB help and we need and electrifyiing return man. So we could get it at Spiller or Cox, or someone who can help us in these areas.

watching some spiller replays on utube i was impressed by fact that he does run inside as well as outside, and he looks to be a really good receiver...i saw several pass plays to him well down field

if 49ers take him in rd 1, do they dare risk losing him to injury by having him return kicks?

This is an interesting argument. Let's draft the guy for his return skills then not use him as a returner! Right now, despite it being an area of potential need, how can we justify spending a first round pick on a guy to just occasionally spell Frank.

Without returning, it just doesn't make sense.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Spiller would be ideal. just look at people like chris johnson, derren sproles, percy harvin. they are game breakers on offense and special teams. taking a RB/KR/PR is smarter than taking a WR/KR/PR to us because we have some good depth at receiver. bruce will be let go but we have that loser jones and his contract taking up a roster spot so i dont think they want so many big contracts in one group of players. a RB to spell and possibly replace gore if he continues to struggle and an electrifying return man would greatly boost this team

I find that comment to be highly offensive and downright ignorant. Frank Gore has not struggled, the offensive line has struggled. Frank Gore is about to hit 1,000 yards DESPITE the offensive line. You obviously don't watch many 49er games.
OK, WHO DO YOU GUYS THINK WE SHOULD DRAFT? Gilyard.. or Javier Arenas?
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
I want CJ Spiller!

How about a combination of CJ Spiller & Perrish Cox in the draft?
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
I want CJ Spiller!

How about a combination of CJ Spiller & Perrish Cox in the draft?

Is there such a player that we can draft or get in trade?
Originally posted by domesik:
IMO Spiller literally fills 4 positions. (3 of HUGE NEED!!!)

Change of pace running back
Kick returner
Punt returner
Slot receiver (in empty backfield, 5 WR set, not ahead of Hill/Jones in 3WR set).

This

i dont think it is quite as unlikely that the niners will draft a WR early on this year as some make it sound. there are really only 2 guys with any real productivity from this year who are coming back next year. so i would say there are only 2 locks at the position to return.

LOCKS
crabtree
morgan

PROBABLE
hill -has had much productivity in his 3 years on the team
jones -only 1 catch this year and obviously didnt offer much in the way of PR ability to dethrone battle and his mighty .7 yards per return.

POSSIBLE
battle -only depends on the mix of experience at the position. how many players with under 3 years of experience do you want on the roster without a veteran there do give pointers on the practice field, film room, etc.
zeigler -could this finally be the year he makes the 53?

needless to say when you are counting on having 5wrs on your 53 and you head into the offseason only feeling really good about 2 guys, it could very well be time to go draft shopping, especially if that draft pick brings some return ability and you have a glaring hole there. the other thing i will say, is that we might use less 2te sets in known passing situations if we have a more sure-handed, dynamic option than what we currently have. btw, we only have 2 te on the roster so if one gets injured at all, THERE IS NO BACKUP

potential 5 man WR roster
1. crabtree
2. morgan
3??? hill
4??? jones
5??? gilyard or shipley just doesnt sound all that farfetched to me.
If we go this route the order I would want them if available is this.

1) C.J. Spiller
2) Dez Bryant
3) Gilyard
Share 49ersWebzone