There are 359 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bama's Linebacker starting to look like "LT"

Alabama's outstanding Linebacker might be "LT like". This jr. LB has already been placed on, 2009 1st team Defensive All-American and 2009 1st Team All-SEC. He has won the Jack Lambert and Dick Butkus Awards as the best Linebacker in the country in addition to being named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year. All of... this comes in a 6-4 255 lbs. package and runs the 40 yd. dash in 4.5 seconds. WOW!!!! "LT like"

http://gsn.gridironsource.com/_Bamas-Linebacker-McClain-starting-to-look-like-LT/video/860182/32256.html
if he runs a 4.5 I will eat my shorts.
Would love to have the guy, but only if he could play OLB for us. He is a great player.
Taylor was known for destroying the LT, RT, or RB on his way to rushing the QB. Didn't see much of that in the highlight video. Until he rushes the passer like Derrick Thomas, McClain shouldn't even be compared to Taylor. Junior Seau is a better choice.

[ Edited by FunkNinerFlex on Dec 11, 2009 at 16:25:18 ]
  • rtj03
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 553
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Taylor was known for destroying the LT, RT, or RB on his way to rushing the QB. Didn't see much of that in the highlight video. Until he rushes the passer like Derrick Thomas, McClain shouldn't even be compared to Taylor. Junior Seau is a better choice.

i agree!
he seems like he doesn't have great agility and lacks speed in that video, but i'm sure he's a lot better on film.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
he seems like he doesn't have great agility and lacks speed in that video, but i'm sure he's a lot better on film.

Compare that video to Patrick Willis in college. You knew Willis ran in the 4.4s. But speed isn't everything unless you are Al Davis. And I've read McClains instincts are comparable to Willis.
McClain is dynamite. The real LT is THE gold standard and the press always seem to compare high quality LB's to him either for a headline or for some reason I don't know. I saw LT play in college and McClain is no LT.
"Yippee ki-yay, motherfocker!"
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,211
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
he seems like he doesn't have great agility and lacks speed in that video, but i'm sure he's a lot better on film.

Agreed. It'll be good to see him at the combine and the results that follow. He just looks really slow, but he has great strength and instincts.
i wouldnt start comparing rookies to HOF;ers

never works out
1) McClain runs in the mid 4.6s
2) He Plays ILB, not OLB
3) Has few moves to the QB, (not to knock him)
they are totally diffrent players who play diffrent positions. McClain takes great angles, wraps up when tackeling, hits like a tonne of bricks, and can make plays in both the run and pass game. Will be a great player, but not "LT like"
LT isn't the best comparison. He looks like a much more polished version of Rey Maualuga. He'd look great next to Willis.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we pulled the trigger on him.
Could McClain go from being the MAN in college to being 2nd fiddle playing next to Willis? As the strong side ILB, his job is to take on blockers so Willis can make the tackles. Think of Plummer doing the dirty work for Norton.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Could McClain go from being the MAN in college to being 2nd fiddle playing next to Willis? As the strong side ILB, his job is to take on blockers so Willis can make the tackles. Think of Plummer doing the dirty work for Norton.

hell ya he could, it isnt like he wouldnt get his opportunity to play and he would do it next to willis who would garner much of the offenses attention which would let him look like a beast taking open shots on running backs. Think of how dominate briggs looked when urlacher(sp) was playing next to him, and now how you dont hear his name when urlacher is out. Plus it would take alot of pressure off McClain being able to learn from takeo and patrick, if he was smart he would embrace not being "the man"