There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Thanks Alabama for brining us back to our senses

Andre Smith, from Alabama, has only played in goalline situations in two games thus far. So, he had has zero impact.

The Bengals success has been based upon their defense, which is one of the best in the NFL. This allows them the freedom to run the ball all day long. They have some of he bigger OL in the NFL, with two guys who go 340, and their center who is about 320.
Like said before, its a passing league. Passing the ball well wins games, unless you have some superstar RB with a nice OL.

If your net average per pass attempt is 6, or whatever, and running the ball is 3, then hmm I would pick the pass.

Alabama is just better than everybody else. If you want a running team example, look at Georgia Tech or Stanford.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Actually I fully agree with you. I was gonna post something about how a true running team can beat out a true passing team and the Bama game was proof. But having a stellar defense is a massive help as well.

Which true passing team has Bama played exactly? That style wins in the SEC because there are no great QBs, or even really good ones in the SEC. It can also be said that Bama beat FLA because of it's passing game moreso than the RBs. THE SEC is good because of speed more than anything. The Big10 is the one with the philosophy you guys are talking about, and you see the result. Speed, not brute strength is what wins at all levels of football.

I am sorry Texas guy, but over the long haul there have been more good QBs coming out of the SEC than the Big 12. All I have to say is one last name, and it will encompass three great QBs (Manning). Can you tell me the last Sooner or Longhorn QB who has made as much of a difference in the Pros. Maybe someone from Nebraska or Kansas, huh.

I think Vandy and Tennesee have produced more servicable QBs than the Big 12 combined.

I never mentioned the big12, let's not have that endless debate, we all know SEC people think there are no other conferences. Again, one name, Manning is all that's come out of there. The SEC is great at putting out many positions, QB historically is not one of them. I would say that pretty much every other conference has put out more quality QBs than SEC. Look at the best teams the SEC has had in the last decade, none of them had what I would call an NFL calibur QB because their teams aren't set up that way. It works great. In college.

That one name (Manning) is only that, one name. But it delivered three pretty solid QBs in Archie, Peyton and Eli. Archie would have been a precursor to Peyton
if he hadnt been played for the Saints (and that was pre-shopping bag years).

I seem to remember that Joe Namath came out of Alabama, Bert Jones out of LSU,
Fran Tarkenton out of Georgia, and that was in the ground chuck days of offense ala Woodie Hays.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by dman:
Thats fine in college but the NFL has become a passing league ... defenders basically aren't allowed to hit the QB or touch the WRs.

Running is important but the game is changing.

This
Thats fine in college but the NFL has become a passing league ... defenders basically aren't allowed to hit the QB or touch the WRs.

New Orleans?

Indianapolis?

Are those "running teams?"
Actually I fully agree with you. I was gonna post something about how a true running team can beat out a true passing team and the Bama game was proof. But having a stellar defense is a massive help as well.

Which true passing team has Bama played exactly? That style wins in the SEC because there are no great QBs, or even really good ones in the SEC. It can also be said that Bama beat FLA because of it's passing game moreso than the RBs. THE SEC is good because of speed more than anything. The Big10 is the one with the philosophy you guys are talking about, and you see the result. Speed, not brute strength is what wins at all levels of football.

arkansas is a pretty good passing team, so is south carolina, and florida aint half bad themselves. But i do agree with the speed part of your post. Problem for texas is alabama is big and fast. good luck texas

Bama can beat any team this year, plain and simple. They pounded the rock and got the yards when they needed them. You go out and hit the D enough they start to wear down and that's why running is important. UF bailed on the running game and when you become 1 dimensional you can get boxed in. I wouldn't say there are no good QB's in the SEC, considering Stafford just went #1 overall last year.

Stafford went #1 based more on potential than production. His stats were less then stellar for his career. Really go back and name a great QB from the SEC not named Manning, you have to go back a ways. I'm not saying running is not important, but anyone can see the game has changed to a passing game. Just look at even the SEC CG, the team that had success passing the ball won. You can't be one dimensional in any aspect, but to say simply running the ball will win is dead wrong.

Stafford had good stats. He also played in a pro style offense and behind a s**tty offensive line, so there was less of a chance his stats were as inflated as those Big 12 quarterbacks.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
nice
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

New Orleans?

Indianapolis?

Are those "running teams?"

Huh? Do you agree?

Anyways last night's game between the Giants and Eagles was another example of the need to have explosive and speedy players.

Jackson was the difference in that game.
you traditionalists are a dying breed
they said the WCO was a fad too ... but soon you're gonna have to learn to enjoy the spread, because everyone will use it to some extent
enjoy fellas. maybe these players can help.

I would like to thank Mark Ingram for keeping the Heisman out of the hands of Colt McCoy & Tim Teebow this year.
Good conventional wisdom, but I think if you check out the statistics you'll find the teams leading the league in passing are the ones on top and the ones leading the league in rushing are around .500.

Leading pass yards per game: Indy, NE, NO, Hou, SD

Leading rush yards per game: NYJ, Tenn, Mia, Car, Cinn

Seems to me pounding the old rock ain't quite all it's all cracked up to be.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home