LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Rethinking the 49ers draft strategy

• FL9er
  • Veteran
It's tough to make absolutes this early and I'm open to anything, so here are some thoughts. I pretty sure most will vehemently disagree.

A lot of people are getting their hopes up for the 49ers being able to fill their needs in FA. But if next year goes uncapped (which is the expectation), fogeddaboudit. The 49ers have cap space, but they are not a strong cash flow team. I'd rather use that cap space to extend the team's core players. Here's a quote from an NFL GM:

Quote:
"Has anyone really looked back at last year's free-agency class and seen what it produced? Albert Haynesworth, Jason Brown, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bart Scott — have these guys made the type of impact everyone was expecting? I think they all thought they were going to contenders, but none of them are playing on winning football teams. And the other problem with free agency — a lot of times you give these guys boatloads of money and it just creates more problems for the player and (with the chemistry) in your own locker room. I'm not a believer in big free-agent signings."

Draft:

CJ Spiller

He is one of the most exciting players in CFB, but so was Ted Ginn and Reggie Bush. He has a great skillset, but at his size is he going to be 20-25 touches/game over 16 games/season kind of player which is what you want out of a 1st round pick?

Was Darren Sproles, Leon Washington, Justin Forsett, Larod Stephens-Howling, Roscoe Parrish, Josh Cribbs, etc. a 1st rounder?

Would the 49ers be able to get the same playmaking ability on offense and/or special teams from a Noel Devine, Jacoby Ford, Kyle Wilson, Javier Arenas, Dexter McCluster, or Mardy Gilyard w/o sacrificing a high draft choice?

OL

Watching Adam Snyder in pass protection is like taking a flaming tire iron to the backside, but why are OLs with lesser players (in terms of draft status) performing at a higher level than SF? It's not like Scot McCloughan has neglected the OL. Something isn't right.

Furthermore it's looking like Okung is the safe choice for a top 10 pick as an NFL LT. Should the 49ers replace Staley there? Do you burn a top 15 pick on a RT if he's not the best player on the board?

Eric Berry vs Joe Haden, defense in general

If I had the choice between having a Pro Bowl CB vs a Pro Bowl safety, I take the corner without blinking. Realistically, I don't think Berry factors into the equation because he might be gone by the time the 49ers are on the clock, but the 49ers have an elite (by elite, I mean top 10) run defense. The 49ers have blitzed more in the last 2 weeks which has led to 11 sacks. A strong secondary gives you the flexibility to blitz even more; think Eagles, Packers, and Steelers. As much as I like Nate Clements he's going to be 30 yrs at the end of this month and is at his peak right now. By the time the 49ers are playing for a championship he will be on his downside. Bly, Harris, Roman, and Hudson are in contract years, so there goes the depth even if all those guys are replaceable. By in large this is a defense that was rebuilt in FA (DL & Secondary). This is just my opinion but I don't see any distinction between Kindle, Miller, Graham, Hughes, Sapp, Norwood, etc. I really like Derrick Morgan, but I see him as more of a 4-3 DE, although he has the athletic ability to make the transition.

[ Edited by FL9er on Dec 8, 2009 at 15:12:23 ]
Get ready for a ton of posts comparing CJ Spiller to Chris Johnson. I don't think the comparison's valid (Johnson's speed is unmatched), but get ready for them.

As far as the OT position goes, I have no problem taking a RT in the top 15 if he fills a need and the value is there. I think Okung will be gone, but Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga may be possibilities I can live with.

I would love Haden with our first pick, though (provided it ends up around 10 or so). But I would still take Berry over Haden if given the opportunity.
I am assuming our picks will be around 11 and 15 with that being said I think Berry is out of the question. I'd say take Haden, Hughes, Graham, Cody, McClain or Taylor Mays with one pick and then an OT with the second pick. Unless Okung is there at 10 there is a big drop off with the tackles and a RT can be picked up at 15 or maybe even our 2nd round pick. Capers or Williams in the 2nd maybe.... I wouldn't mind picking up a free agent RT and using the pick on a better value. Okung is the only tackle worth around 11-15. So if we pick up a free agent RT any two of those players would be great.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I am assuming our picks will be around 11 and 15 with that being said I think Berry is out of the question. I'd say take Haden, Hughes, Graham, Cody, McClain or Taylor Mays with one pick and then an OT with the second pick. Unless Okung is there at 10 there is a big drop off with the tackles and a RT can be picked up at 15 or maybe even our 2nd round pick. Capers or Williams in the 2nd maybe.... I wouldn't mind picking up a free agent RT and using the pick on a better value. Okung is the only tackle worth around 11-15. So if we pick up a free agent RT any two of those players would be great.

bruce cambel and brian balugula seem pretty decent
Originally posted by Overkill:
Get ready for a ton of posts comparing CJ Spiller to Chris Johnson. I don't think the comparison's valid (Johnson's speed is unmatched), but get ready for them.

As far as the OT position goes, I have no problem taking a RT in the top 15 if he fills a need and the value is there. I think Okung will be gone, but Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga may be possibilities I can live with.

I would love Haden with our first pick, though (provided it ends up around 10 or so). But I would still take Berry over Haden if given the opportunity.

CJ would be one hellavu pick and i wouldn't complain one bit, he reminds me more of a young LT though. It would take care of a legyt RB backup prob and punt kick return problem.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

CJ would be one hellavu pick and i wouldn't complain one bit, he reminds me more of a young LT though. It would take care of a legyt RB backup prob and punt kick return problem.

LT had about 20lbs on him, but I think that's a better comparison than Chris Johnson. I see a more powerful version of Kory Sheets, which is far from a bad thing. I could live with the Spiller pick if we're really going to the spread full time. I think he could out produce Gore in the spread, actually.

IMO, Spiller compares more closely to Marshall Faulk than he does Chris Johnson. Not saying he's as good coming out of college or will be as good as Marshall was in the NFL, but his overall game and skills are similar.
Originally posted by GoFD74:

IMO, Spiller compares more closely to Marshall Faulk than he does Chris Johnson. Not saying he's as good coming out of college or will be as good as Marshall was in the NFL, but his overall game and skills are similar.

That sounds like a much better comparasion than to CJ.
Agree it is gonna be tough to get anything out of FA if it goes to uncapped year.
Originally posted by FL9er:

Eric Berry vs Joe Haden, defense in general

If I had the choice between having a Pro Bowl CB vs a Pro Bowl safety, I take the corner without blinking.
I used to agree with this line of thinking but after seeing how much better the colts, steelers, and ravens D are with their superstar safeties on the field I've changed my tune. If you can get a playmaker like that in your secondary you do it. Is Joe Haden the next charles woodson? because thats the only way I take him if Berry is still available.

1st pick mcClain (replace spikes with the best mlb in the draft,help out willis).
2nd pick (1st round) CB robinson (move clements to FS).
trade 2011 1st to the patriots for there 1st rounder (26-32) and get OG iupatui from idaho.
2nd round (4th pick)best pass rusher available (kindle,dunlap might fall,von miller...)
3rd round RT
4th round RB Blount (big strong powerful runner who was a possible 1st to 2nd rounder)
I dont see this happening but its just a thought.
TO interesting post. Regarding the O line, rather than than taking lower picks we could get a new OL coach and develop them properly.

Hopefully, we can rebuild the O line and the defensive backfield this draft
Share 49ersWebzone