There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Other than Right Tackle, its all BPA

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by valrod33:
we NEED a Safety, correction we need Eric Berry

Nate Clements = Great Safety

Move Clements to safety and we're in desperate need of a corner. See the last 2 games.

Tackle, QB, Will and Safety/ CB can all be considered BPA to me.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Num1player16.
1a. Eric Berry
1b. Jerry hughes

Then spend the next two picks on the O-line. Myr dream draft, our D would be monstrous!
Originally posted by genus49:
Anyone who doesn't think we need a pass rusher is crazy.

Just because we have sacks on this team doesn't mean we have a pass rush.

We have to manufacture our pass rush by blitzing and scheming - which means if someone schemes better than us we get nothing except our secondary picked apart.

We desperately need that guy who has to be accounted for on every passing down. Someone who can just beat the other team's OT to get us a consistent pass rush. When you get one dominant guy like that it allows the other guys to do much better and allows you more room for different playcalls where you can still get pass rush.

Hell we need a good offensive line coach more than we need a RT. As one guy said "You can coach offense but you need talent on defense"

We definitely need a marquee pass rusher, but do you really see one in this draft? I don't. I see some nice pass rush talent, but nobody who could come in and take Haralson or Lawson's job away anytime soon. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take a pass rusher, just saying nobody jumps out at me as being a real difference-maker.
Originally posted by GoFD74:

We have to manufacture our pass rush by blitzing and scheming - which means if someone schemes better than us we get nothing except our secondary picked apart.

We desperately need that guy who has to be accounted for on every passing down. Someone who can just beat the other team's OT to get us a consistent pass rush. When you get one dominant guy like that it allows the other guys to do much better and allows you more room for different playcalls where you can still get pass rush.

Hell we need a good offensive line coach more than we need a RT. As one guy said "You can coach offense but you need talent on defense"

We definitely need a marquee pass rusher, but do you really see one in this draft? I don't. I see some nice pass rush talent, but nobody who could come in and take Haralson or Lawson's job away anytime soon. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take a pass rusher, just saying nobody jumps out at me as being a real difference-maker.

The only guys I see that could step in right away are Graham and maybe on the fringe, Von Miller. UT's Adam Ulatoski couldn't seem to handle Miller all that well, who sacked McCoy 1.5 times, and had 2.5 TFL in the game.

If Miller returns to school. He could be that marquee guy next year.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

The only guys I see that could step in right away are Graham and maybe on the fringe, Von Miller. UT's Adam Ulatoski couldn't seem to handle Miller all that well, who sacked McCoy 1.5 times, and had 2.5 TFL in the game.

If Miller returns to school. He could be that marquee guy next year.

Not sure Graham has the quickness at his current weight to step in and play the 3-4 OLB position...I know people want to compare him to Woodley, but LM trimmed down his senior season which helped him gain the quickness/agility needed to show well at the combine. Graham will have to do the same thing if he's going to make the transition, but there's definitely a lot of upside to his game.

Btw, I know Sergio Kindle's numbers are way down this year, but I believe he has the ability to be the top 3-4 OLB in this draft class. He's an amazing athlete that's still learning how to rush the passer...once he figures it out, he's going to be a force.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:49 PM ]
OUTSIDE PASS RUSHER!!!!!!!!!
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Isnt Eric Berry more of a luxury pick? Our problems as of now is protecting the QB and consistent pressure on the opposing QB... So we decide to go with a Safety? I guess thats why we're fans and not GMs.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
other than RT we need ERIC BERRY.....that is all!!!!

Dude!!!

No Guards? No pass rush? No backup for Frank? No kr? All?

Oooooh!
Niners top need is obviously RT!

Eric Berry would be amazing. I hope the Niners land a pass rusher in Free Agency and draft a young OLB in the 2nd or 3rd. I wouldnt mind a WR (Dez Bryant) or CJ Spiller (RB/WR/KR) with the 2nd 1st rounder....
People need to remember that Dashon Goldson is only in his first year as a starting safety...he's learning a lot right now, and should have a much stronger year next year.

Come on man, we all know that Goldson should have stepped right in and been a Pro-Bowl safety...

RT is definitely a need. But so is OG. We've gotten below average play pass protection from both OG spots this year and get no push in the run game. We could also lose Baas this offseason (depending on the CBA, etc).

The other "needs" mentioned in this thread (like S, OLB, etc) are really more like "wants" imo. In fact, I would actually put Franklin's replacement ahead of the sexier "needs" at OLB & S. Okay, so our defense is not an elite unit. And maybe they can't drag the offense, kicking and screaming, to a SB. But its clear the defense is good enough to keep us in most games.

The real problem on this team is the offense. And the real problem on the offense right now appears to be the OL. Or possibly the OL & QB... the remainder of the season will decide that.
Originally posted by Ether:
Isnt Eric Berry more of a luxury pick? Our problems as of now is protecting the QB and consistent pressure on the opposing QB... So we decide to go with a Safety? I guess thats why we're fans and not GMs.

Considering Roman will be gone and Lewis may retire (I think he should) that will leave vacancies at SS and FS. Getting a OLB and ROT can be done with our other picks.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
other than RT we need ERIC BERRY.....that is all!!!!

Dude!!!

No Guards? No pass rush? No backup for Frank? No kr? All?

Oooooh!

LOL, no "that is all" as in "nuff said". Of course that is not all, I just got excited cause that was my first post from my new phone. Here's my quick Mock Draft:

1a. Eric Berry

1b. Trent Williams

2nd. Brandon Graham

3rd. Tim Hiller

4th. Dan Williams

5th. Kurt Coleman

6th. Reggie Stephens

7th. Kyle Williams
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Ether:

Considering Roman will be gone and Lewis may retire (I think he should) that will leave vacancies at SS and FS. Getting a OLB and ROT can be done with our other picks.

Good point, but doesn't Roman simply sub for Lewis on passing downs? Meaning the vacancy is really only at SS and could be filled by a single, more well-rounded player? I think Goldson plays FS in all our packages, which is why he has the radio.

And Eric Berry would never be a "luxury" pick for us. We may have bigger needs, but he would be the epitomize the BPA if he fell to either of our first round picks. We can always use the other to snag a top RT / passrusher prospect.
Originally posted by Overkill:
RT is definitely a need. But so is OG. We've gotten below average play pass protection from both OG spots this year and get no push in the run game. We could also lose Baas this offseason (depending on the CBA, etc).

The other "needs" mentioned in this thread (like S, OLB, etc) are really more like "wants" imo. In fact, I would actually put Franklin's replacement ahead of the sexier "needs" at OLB & S. Okay, so our defense is not an elite unit. And maybe they can't drag the offense, kicking and screaming, to a SB. But its clear the defense is good enough to keep us in most games.

The real problem on this team is the offense. And the real problem on the offense right now appears to be the OL. Or possibly the OL & QB... the remainder of the season will decide that.

Should Franklyn leave NT will be will be the easiest void to fill in FA. Wilfork, Hampton and Pickett are all free agents. Hampton and Pickett seem to be sure locks too.

I agree that our problem is on offense, but we're only a couple of pieces away from being an elite defense. Offensively we're years away.