LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Running backs like this don't come along too often

Originally posted by Ether:
Reggie Bush reminded people of Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers...

This
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by miked1978:
I think the knock on Spiller is, he's not an every down back. I think he would make a great compliment to another RB in the league sorta like how Bush is.

I think we have too many holes to worry about drafting Spiller. Gore gets hit as soon as he gets to the line. No RB will be able to thrive with our OL.

The Panthers picked 2 RBs in the first round, and now they have one of the best running attacks in the league.

If Smith is able to progress, and we address the O-line issues promptly this off-season, there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to draft C.J. Spiller.

1. It gives us a home run threat on offense. Besides the vertical route TDs Vernon gets, and the swing passes to Gore, we barely get YPC on each pass.

2. It balances our running attack. Gore is a great all-around back. Coffee has great size and strength to punch it on 3rd down situations. Spiller adds great speed to a possession style offense.

3. It finally gives us a weapon on special teams. We've been looking for a long-term solution at KR/PR for at least 5 years.

My concern is that we will get sidetracked by the sexy picks, and we will miss out on the O line. We need IMO, early picks, particularly at tackle.

I know we need kr/pr and support for Gore, and impact players are desperately needed. But for once the line must come first

Agreed we have the weapons now we need the protection
I think Spiller would be a great compliment to Gore, and would give us a good return man as well. I wouldn't mind picking him if he were there in the 2nd, but I don't want to use a 1st round pick on him.

We need to fix other things right now. Positions I wouldn't mind seeing us use our two 1st round selections on are OT, OLB, CB, S
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by genus49:
All aboard the spiller bandwagon.....

What next? We draft a tight end in the first round? Yes his speed is intriguing and a real fast running back is a sexy pick...but last I checked Frank Gore was a pretty good running back himself and we had holes the size of the grand canyon all over the roster including 2 huge areas like OL and pass rushers....but yea let's draft a small running back because a similar guy is tearing sh*t up for the Titans.

HOF? Give me a break

We have the room for a luxury pick. There's plenty of Will prospects that will be around in the 2nd round and we have an extra 1st rounder to use on the OL. Guards and Right tackles carry a 3rd round value. Anyone who thinks that we have to spend 2 1st rounders on the line has no idea how most teams built their line.

"Most" teams are not rebuilding their line virtually from scratch. But blah blah to you as well. I wonder why so many tackles are taken in round one.

I think the differential between right and left tackle has significantly closed of late. We need a starter, and if we leave it till round 3, our chances of getting one are seriously diminished.

But hey, it's just blah blah blah isn't it?

And I'm sure 2 rookies is going to stabilize the line next year. No growing pains whatsoever. I'm sure the youngest line in the league will get the job done especially with our QB or lack of QB situation. BTW I left room for a tackle in the 1st. BPA, OT in the 1st, Will in the 2nd. While we're talking about the value of lineman let's not forget that 3 interior lineman went off the board within the 1st 2 rounds last year.

Perhaps you could just explain where I said the things that you have just rebutted? Like no growing pains, for instance? Do I put words in your mouth?

Let's see how we got here. I said we don't have to spend all three picks on the lines, and you disagreed and said we're building our line from scratch. That's why I brought up the point that it's best not to have the youngest line in the league and we should mix in some expierence with the youth. Enter free agency. Enter how you can find top 5 guards past the 3rd round and groom them.

I might be making an assumption or two but I'm assuming that you're in the crowd that wants us to go OL, OL, DL with our top 3 picks.

Yes that is an assumption. I have made my stance on next year's draft quite clear in these threads.

But hey, it is a lot easier to put words in people's mouths. That way you win the argument.

What words did I put in your mouth? I originally said that we should spend 2/3 of our picks on the lines and you said we couldn't afford to do that. There's only 2 conclusions that I can come to. 1. You think we have to spend all three of those picks on the lines. 2. You didn't read my post accurately.

If you want to draft 2 lineman in the 1st you pretty much have to concede that we will have the youngest line in the league. That's not me putting words in your mouth. That's the reality of drafting 2 lineman in the 1st. They're going to start right away.
Ex. Staley-(Iupati)-Heittman-Rachal-(Williams).

BTW There's way too many posters here for me to single your stance out.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 27, 2009 at 9:39 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
All aboard the spiller bandwagon.....

What next? We draft a tight end in the first round? Yes his speed is intriguing and a real fast running back is a sexy pick...but last I checked Frank Gore was a pretty good running back himself and we had holes the size of the grand canyon all over the roster including 2 huge areas like OL and pass rushers....but yea let's draft a small running back because a similar guy is tearing sh*t up for the Titans.

HOF? Give me a break

We have the room for a luxury pick. There's plenty of Will prospects that will be around in the 2nd round and we have an extra 1st rounder to use on the OL. Guards and Right tackles carry a 3rd round value. Anyone who thinks that we have to spend 2 1st rounders on the line has no idea how most teams built their line.

"Most" teams are not rebuilding their line virtually from scratch. But blah blah to you as well. I wonder why so many tackles are taken in round one.

I think the differential between right and left tackle has significantly closed of late. We need a starter, and if we leave it till round 3, our chances of getting one are seriously diminished.

But hey, it's just blah blah blah isn't it?

And I'm sure 2 rookies is going to stabilize the line next year. No growing pains whatsoever. I'm sure the youngest line in the league will get the job done especially with our QB or lack of QB situation. BTW I left room for a tackle in the 1st. BPA, OT in the 1st, Will in the 2nd. While we're talking about the value of lineman let's not forget that 3 interior lineman went off the board within the 1st 2 rounds last year.

Perhaps you could just explain where I said the things that you have just rebutted? Like no growing pains, for instance? Do I put words in your mouth?

Let's see how we got here. I said we don't have to spend all three picks on the lines, and you disagreed and said we're building our line from scratch. That's why I brought up the point that it's best not to have the youngest line in the league and we should mix in some expierence with the youth. Enter free agency. Enter how you can find top 5 guards past the 3rd round and groom them.

I might be making an assumption or two but I'm assuming that you're in the crowd that wants us to go OL, OL, DL with our top 3 picks.

Yes that is an assumption. I have made my stance on next year's draft quite clear in these threads.

But hey, it is a lot easier to put words in people's mouths. That way you win the argument.

What words did I put in your mouth? I originally said that we should spend 2/3 of our picks on the lines and you said we couldn't afford to do that. There's only 2 conclusions that I can come to. 1. You think we have to spend all three of those picks on the lines. 2. You didn't read my post accurately.

If you want to draft 2 lineman in the 1st you pretty much have to concede that we will have the youngest line in the league. That's not me putting words in your mouth. That's the reality of drafting 2 lineman in the 1st. They're going to start right away.
Ex. Staley-(Iupati)-Heittman-Rachal-(Williams).

Mix in the fact that Rachal is already having growing pains, and you'll have 3 RAW O-linemen protecting a QB with minimal confidence thus far.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerFan1977:

This

I think a lot of rational people felt that Bush's game would be severely different in the NFL.

I pictured him as a Brian Westbrook type RB, utilize him in the pass in order to establish the run. Others thought he'd be the next great as you mentioned.

But it's easy to point the finger and say "that guy is a bust" with citing one example to dismiss the notion of drafting Spiller, when, if utilized correctly, he can improve our offense immensely.

Look at how fast Philip Rivers developed in San Diego when he had LT, Sporles, and Turner in the backfield as the main power to that offense.

Really ?
Originally posted by NinerFan1977:
Originally posted by miked1978:
I think the knock on Spiller is, he's not an every down back. I think he would make a great compliment to another RB in the league sorta like how Bush is.

I think we have too many holes to worry about drafting Spiller. Gore gets hit as soon as he gets to the line. No RB will be able to thrive with our OL.

The Panthers picked 2 RBs in the first round, and now they have one of the best running attacks in the league.

If Smith is able to progress, and we address the O-line issues promptly this off-season, there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to draft C.J. Spiller.

1. It gives us a home run threat on offense. Besides the vertical route TDs Vernon gets, and the swing passes to Gore, we barely get YPC on each pass.

2. It balances our running attack. Gore is a great all-around back. Coffee has great size and strength to punch it on 3rd down situations. Spiller adds great speed to a possession style offense.

3. It finally gives us a weapon on special teams. We've been looking for a long-term solution at KR/PR for at least 5 years.

My concern is that we will get sidetracked by the sexy picks, and we will miss out on the O line. We need IMO, early picks, particularly at tackle.

I know we need kr/pr and support for Gore, and impact players are desperately needed. But for once the line must come first

Agreed we have the weapons now we need the protection

We had a back like that!
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Seems like one is coming out every year.

CJ
Mcfadden

AP

Bush
D. Williams

Ronnie Brown
Cedric Benson

Rbs come and go and you can find a good one a little later in the draft (2nd 3rd).

You just named RBs that were drafted in the first round.

Exactly, and Spiller is no better than any of them.
[ Edited by MadMartz on Nov 28, 2009 at 12:28 PM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
Not flashy at all, but Dixon for Mississippi State is no non sense runner. Reminds me a lot like Gore.

I think that the Niners will pick the best available player on the board, if not you end up with players like Balmer. I'm not saying he is a bust yet, but he hasn't shown a lot thus far in his young career. You can lose a chance at great talent by reaching for picks in the 1st round. I bet a lot of people are kicking themselves for passing up on Patrick Willis and Crabtree (raiders).
hes a less talented CJ
I just think if the top tackles are gone then we can take Spiller & get a right tackle later in the 1st or 2nd round.
if berry or the top rated rt is gone i want spiller. when he blows away that 40 dude is gonna catapult himself up the board
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Really ?

Most who said that where homers. The majority of smart fans knew he would be more of a Westbroke type player.
I actually think his potential is far from tapped, but his potential in NO has hit the ceiling.

If Bush is cut at the end of this season I would love to pick him up!!!
[ Edited by solidg2000 on Nov 30, 2009 at 5:37 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone