Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
1 Cleveland 1-9 Jimmy Clausen QB This pick has to be a QB
2 St. Louis 1-9 Jake Locker QB See above
3 Tampa Bay 1-9 Ndamukong Suh DT Best defensive player in the draft
4 Detroit 2-8 Gerald McCoy DT Lions need help up front big time
5 Seattle 3-7 Russell Okung OT Time to finally replace Walter Jones
6 Washington 3-7 Bryan Bulaga OT Their offensive line is a sieve; QB next
7 Buffalo 3-7 Dez Bryant WR TO's replacement or another OT
8 Oakland 3-7 Carlos Dunlap DE Typical Al pick; All measureables.
9 Kansas City 3-7 Eric Berry S Too bad for us; Chiefs can't pass up
10 Denver 4-6 Sam Bradford QB Orton's eventual replacement
11 49ers 4-6 Trent Williams OT Total need pick
12 NY Jets 4-6 Arthur Jones DT Long term replacement for S. Ellis
13 49ers 4-6 Derrick Morgan OLB It was Morgan or Joe Haden CB

Resign: Franklin
Sims

Cuts: Ulbrich
Battle
Bruce
Roman
Wallace

Not to be nit picky but Denver is currently sitting at 6-4, whereas Tennessee is 4-6.

I believe that Denver has Chicago's pick and the Bears are in fact 4-6.
There is no question in my mind that the Niners should attempt to trade down in round 1 with either or both of their picks. I dont see a great OT that will be sitting there around 11 and think we can move down and get an additional 2nd rd pick.

I think if we stay at #11 and a guy like Joe Haden is there we should take him. A talent like that at a position of need would be hard to pass on in my opinion. I just dont see Trent Williams being worthy of that high of a pick. There is no doubt, however, that the Niners do need to get an OT with one of their first 2 picks in the draft.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Morgan is a good pass-rusher, but I feel Graham is not only just as good (well, better in my eyes, actually), he fits our system better and comes from a school producing fine hybrid linebacker prospects lately. He's more experienced as well.

I'd take the best available tackle, then go with Graham right now.

I'd be prone to go the same direction, unless someone like Berry or Bryant fell into our laps (highly unlikely based on where we will be drafting).

Another side of me says to take every non-OL off the board, throw all the energy into the OL in the first round, and select the best OT and Mike Iupati (even if we reach), and look to an OLB/WR/KR in next few rounds.

The potential for a:
Staley-Iupati-Heitmann-Rachal-T. Williams offensive line is pretty appealing.

If we were able (by the grace of God) to get Mankins in FA what would you see going down draft day? Would you still want to target Iupati, make Chilo the primary backup and release Wragge?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
IMO I think the Chiefs go with CJ Spiller, they need a playmaker at RB.

I see you've been looking at my mock
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Looking at Mel Kiper's Big Board, I think he only has 1 OT listed in the top 25. In this draft there are several tackles listed in the top 15, will the 49ers have a chance at a quality tackle in the high teens? I must confess that I would also love for the 49ers to combine their 2 first round picks to get a top 5 pick. But there would have to be someone that they really love.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Sims

Battle
Bruce
Roman
Wallace

Not to be nit picky but Denver is currently sitting at 6-4, whereas Tennessee is 4-6.

you're correct however that pick reflects the current standing of chicago bears. that was part of j. cutler's deal that sent chicago's #1 to denver.

anyway no Roland McClain ILB for us? t. spikes isn't going to be around much

They have a similar type player in Charles. That wouldn't make much sense.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Morgan is a good pass-rusher, but I feel Graham is not only just as good (well, better in my eyes, actually), he fits our system better and comes from a school producing fine hybrid linebacker prospects lately. He's more experienced as well.

I'd be prone to go the same direction, unless someone like Berry or Bryant fell into our laps (highly unlikely based on where we will be drafting).

Another side of me says to take every non-OL off the board, throw all the energy into the OL in the first round, and select the best OT and Mike Iupati (even if we reach), and look to an OLB/WR/KR in next few rounds.

The potential for a:

If we were able (by the grace of God) to get Mankins in FA what would you see going down draft day? Would you still want to target Iupati, make Chilo the primary backup and release Wragge?

The Niners would probably target a Will or Sam backer. The combo we have simply is not getting the job done.

I think Chilo is going to get another year as the starter. I have seen slight improvements the past couple of weeks, which is heartening. He is still not playing at a high level. The problem is still primarily with Snyder. The QB sneak on the first possession showed that he doesn't have the lateral ability to play the position, as Jenkins beat him to the QB (Heitmann and Rachal actually had a decent push on the play).
Originally posted by fryet:
Looking at Mel Kiper's Big Board, I think he only has 1 OT listed in the top 25. In this draft there are several tackles listed in the top 15, will the 49ers have a chance at a quality tackle in the high teens? I must confess that I would also love for the 49ers to combine their 2 first round picks to get a top 5 pick. But there would have to be someone that they really love.

Who in the top five would you be looking at Suh, McKoy, Berry? Top 5 picks cost a lot to sign. We could have 2 mid first rounders for less than 1 top 5.

BTW.. Who is the 1 OT in Kipers's top 25? If it's not Okung then Kiper needs to be committed.

Sims

Battle
Bruce
Roman
Wallace

Denver owns Chicago's pick and they are 4-6.

Originally posted by Negrodamus:

Sims

Battle
Bruce
Roman
Wallace

you're correct however that pick reflects the current standing of chicago bears. that was part of j. cutler's deal that sent chicago's #1 to denver.

anyway no Roland McClain ILB for us? t. spikes isn't going to be around much

McClain would have to be a consideration. Our defense would be awesome up the middle with him next to Willis and Franklin in front of them.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

The potential for a:

I agree with this strategy. I'd much rather infuse the OL with new faces/talent and focus on the other areas later.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

They have a similar type player in Charles. That wouldn't make much sense.

Your kidding me MD, Spiller is a much more explosive player than Jamaal Charles, more of a Reggie Bush type player than Charles IMO.

noooooo
Originally posted by drake49er:

The potential for a:

perhaps we could trade our 2nd and a 3rd or 4th and still get Iupati. I figure he could be chosen anwhere from 25-40, given the value placed on guards.

Well, since it looks like we will have 2 picks in the early/middle of the 1st round. I say take the best tackle on the board and try to trade down later in the 1st round so we can grab Iupati without reaching and pick up another pick in the later rounds.

Both ways, I agree with the two of you. If we could manage to trade down and still land Iupati, that would be fantastic. But if we didn't, and still reached for him, I wouldn't complain in the least. They are plenty of talented pass-rushing prospects who will be waiting in the later rounds.

Guys like Austen Lane (Murray St.) are skyrocketing up into the realms of the 3rd round.

Late round prospects like Arthur Moats (JMU), Brandon Sharpe (Texas Tech) and middle rounders like Lindsey Witten (UConn) and Dexter Davis (ASU) are also possibilities.

I want us to address our Line first of course, but definitely the pass-rush, our aging secondary, and lack of team speed as well.

I want to see us take at least 2 OL, a safety, a corner, and two pass-rushers. An end and a tackle would be fine to add, too.
Share 49ersWebzone