LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Rising players making a name for themselves.

I don't have time to write reports on all of these players, but just to give you a list so you can look up these players on your own time, here are some names to remember. These guys have really helped themselves this season, so don't be surprised to see them go much sooner than you had initially expected -- if you even know who they were in the first place.

(Old short list of "notables" can be found here as well.)

Here we go.

Quarterbacks:
Johnathan Crompton, Tennessee, 6-4 228 4.79
Sean Canfield, Oregon State, 6-4 215 4.96

Running backs:
Keith Toston, Oklahoma State, 6-0 214 4.57
Joique Bell, Wayne State (MI), 5-11 224 4.54
Deji Karim, Southern Illinois, 5-9 205 4.46

Receivers:
Marcus Easley, Connecticut, 6-2 216 4.40
DeMarco Sampson, San Diego State, 6-2 210 4.57

Offensive Line:
OG Marshall Newhouse, TCU, 6-3 320 5.06

Defensive Line (including hybrid prospects):
DE Austen Lane, Murray State, 6-6 258 4.65
DE Jammie Kirlew, Indiana, 6-2 259 4.84
DE James Ruffin, Northern Iowa, 6-4 264 4.87
DE Aaron Morgan, LA-Monroe, 6-4 235 4.78
DE Brandon Brandon Sharpe, 6-3 254 4.82
DT/DE Mick Williams, Pittsburgh, 6-1 282 4.93

Linebackers:
OLB Adrian Tracy, William & Mary, 6-3 243 4.70
OLB Chris McCoy, Mid-Tennessee St., 6-4 245 4.84
OLB Jarvis Geathers, UCF, 6-2 238 4.64
OLB Tim Knicky, Stephen F. Austin, 6-4 236 4.64
ILB/OLB Josh Hull, Penn State, 6-3 240 4.73

Defensive Backs:
CB Antwane Cox, Bethune Cookman, 6-0 180 4.47
CB Rafael Priest, TCU, 5-10 182 4.48
CB/FS Richard Sherman, Stanford, 6-2 190 4.59
FS Robert Johnson, Utah, 6-2 200 4.52
SS Kurt Coleman, Ohio State, 5-10 197 4.57
SS Aaron Webster, Cincinnati, 6-2 211 4.54
As far as Qbs I agree with Canfield, but Crompton has certainly not impressed me.
Great job OTC! I think that safety Robert Johnson from Utah would be a nice fit back there with Goldson. Big, strong , fast guy who can also come up & hit would be nice.
let's get the receiver out of uconn!
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
As far as Qbs I agree with Canfield, but Crompton has certainly not impressed me.

Crompton is by no means a top-tier player, but he wasn't even considered a draft-worthy prospect at the start of the season. He's vaulted himself into late round consideration. His workout numbers will determine where he goes from there.

Over the past three games, he's been 53/88 (60.2%) for 649 yards and 9 TDs, 0 INTs. On the year, Crompton is 176/301 (58.5%) with 2124 yards and 23 TDs, 10 INTs, 1 rushing TD. Those aren't shabby numbers playing in the SEC. This is why scouts have him in that 5th-7th round tier as a strong developmental prospect.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 16, 2009 at 7:18 PM ]
Crompton
I like Canfield. I haven't seen much of the WR from UConn, but his stats look pretty good every game he's played this season he has atleast 80 yards even though he missed 3 games. He runs a 4.40 so maybe he could be the burner we need? I dunno.

edit: also dude what do you think of Danario Alexander from Mizzou? He's pretty big at 6'5'' and had a good game this week IIRC.
[ Edited by WillistheWall on Nov 16, 2009 at 7:22 PM ]
Lane!
29 carrere sacks
12 last year, 11 so far this year

currently a 4th rounder

but dropped into coverage and got a pick 6 with 3 min left in the game

the highest I think he goes is the 2nd because of his small school and lack of competition

I think he would be a great pick up for us
maybe with the 2nd or 3rd round pick we get from the jets
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
I'd like to give some attention to Texas DT Lamarr Houston, who's jumped into the 3rd round, imo. He's a 6'2", 300 pound UT that could play the 5 technique in a 3-4. I was worried about the Texas D-Line coming into this year, but he's really anchored a tough run defense.
I live in san diego and sampson is great but i like his counter part WR Vincent Brown.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I like Canfield. I haven't seen much of the WR from UConn, but his stats look pretty good every game he's played this season he has atleast 80 yards even though he missed 3 games. He runs a 4.40 so maybe he could be the burner we need? I dunno.

edit: also dude what do you think of Danario Alexander from Mizzou? He's pretty big at 6'5'' and had a good game this week IIRC.

Yes, he earned Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week honors. I think he's a good early day two prospect, but not sure if he's what we need here. We still lack a vertical threat with blinding speed to stretch the defense.

Danario is having a great year so far, and has had back-to-back 200 yard games. He's not a lesser known player, however, and his draft status has been fairly consistent throughout the year. He has been considered on the fringe between the 3rd to the late 4th round.
Originally posted by King49er:
Crompton

x2. just horrible. jackal and hyde
Hey OTC, what round do you think we can get John Jerry from Ole Miss in? Would be nice if we could plug him in at LG.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Hey OTC, what round do you think we can get John Jerry from Ole Miss in? Would be nice if we could plug him in at LG.

It's looking like the 4th at this point. 5th at the latest, I believe.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Jerry's game is so limited to playing in a phone booth that his value will be substantially lower than many other guards coming out. Just very little mobility.
Share 49ersWebzone