LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Character or skill set

Do you think character is really that important? To an extent it is but Character doesnt score TDS, Skills do.
We have plenty of character guys on this team. We could use a skill set guy in return game.
It doesn't necessarily have to be all or nothing type of deal.

Look at the pats. They've brought in so called troubled players and they didn't hear a peep from them. You surround the team with good people and high character guys you can afford to overlook some troubles to bring a highly skilled guy in and with support from teh guys around him he'll blend in.

Hell we haven't exactly shied away from guys with questions on their character files - Crabtree, Tarrell Brown, Ahmad Brooks - Antonio Bryant

I'm sure there are some guys I forgot. Right now having a coach like Sing makes it almost the best place for guys to go because he comes off as a father figure type and someone who can motivate guys to play full blast. This is good because we can draft or pick up players who normally may not go all out but their talent is very evident.

Of course you have to tread lightly with those as some people are just not reachable.
Depends, sometimes you have guys that make one mistake that hurt them (Brown), but then you have guys that repeatedly make stupid mistakes (Pacman). I think Morgan also had some character issue right?

So sometimes players learn and take advantage of their chance. I think Ricky Jean-Francois is one guy that explicitly said he was going to turn things around after he got drafted. And then you have players like Pacman that just throw it all away.
  • titan
  • Veteran
You can have both in a player, just got to find them a good example on our team are Gore and Willis!
We need players that have both, like Justin Smith or Frank Gore. All skill and no character make up the Bengals. Skill and enough character to play in a disciplined manner is like the Steeler, Colts, Patriots.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Do you think character is really that important? To an extent it is but Character doesnt score TDS, Skills do.

Truth be told I'm looking for football intelligence more.
Originally posted by Envy:

Sounds good to me.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Envy:

Sounds good to me.

Bingo...!
We need to get a better set definition of character issues. I have no problem with a guy being an arrogant clown vs a guy who's been in legal trouble. I mean folks are just labeling everybody that does any little thing as having character issues. I think each person and each situation has to be looked at specifically.

skills.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Depends, sometimes you have guys that make one mistake that hurt them (Brown), but then you have guys that repeatedly make stupid mistakes (Pacman). I think Morgan also had some character issue right?

So sometimes players learn and take advantage of their chance. I think Ricky Jean-Francois is one guy that explicitly said he was going to turn things around after he got drafted. And then you have players like Pacman that just throw it all away.

agree
the most skilled player in the world can't score any TDs on suspension. If the character flaws have a chance to keep him off the field, what does it matter how good he is?
Originally posted by boomer49er:
the most skilled player in the world can't score any TDs on suspension. If the character flaws have a chance to keep him off the field, what does it matter how good he is?

Very true.
Originally posted by boomer49er:

Boomer, let's look at the current list of the NFL dirtiest players as compiled by the Sporting News:

Here’s the top five:

1. Richie Incognito, RG, Rams

2. Hines Ward, WR, Steelers

3. Kevin Mawae, C, Jets

4. Harvey Dahl, G, Falcons

5. (t) Darnell Dockett, DT, Cardinals

How many times have any of these guys been suspended? The Niners don't have anyone on their roster that other teams consider dirty or nasty IMO. That "edge" along with some talent would be a welcome addition to this team in the future.
Share 49ersWebzone