There are 250 users in the forums

Does the Spread Formation Mean the Death of NFL QBs?

Does the Spread Formation Mean the Death of NFL QBs?

Year after year, I notice more QBs entering the NFL Draft that come from Spread Formation Offenses. What are your thoughts on how the Spread Formation effects NFL QBs? Lets face it, this isn't a fad. Its not going away anytime soon!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think its a good thing, its time for NFL QB coaches and OC's to start working for their money. And actually TEACH a QB to drop back and take snaps under center, go through his progressions, widen his feet when he's dropping back, step into his throws, time his hitch step with his receivers routes and so fourth. But this is the exact reason I'd rather wait and draft a QB in the later rounds (besides Bradford of course).
The NFL is going toward the spread, and it will continue to do so ... every nfl team goes 4 wides on 3rd down now, that used to be unthinkable. It's a logical progression, and no self respecting ncaa coach is going to run a more pro style offense just to help out the nfl.
The new nfl qbs are going to be spread qbs.
spread is dope. it works for peyton manning. and college QB's that use it put up ridiculous numbers. i think if the NFL had QB coaches that were worth their salt they could train a spread guy to be a traditional passer and vice versa. my favorite kind of offense is the WCO, run and gun type stuff. i love QB's that can scramble but can also hit receivers on the run too. Steve Young is my favorite QB ever because of that. i really wish the NFL would go back to tat style, it makes things more exciting
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
spread is dope. it works for peyton manning. and college QB's that use it put up ridiculous numbers. i think if the NFL had QB coaches that were worth their salt they could train a spread guy to be a traditional passer and vice versa. my favorite kind of offense is the WCO, run and gun type stuff. i love QB's that can scramble but can also hit receivers on the run too. Steve Young is my favorite QB ever because of that. i really wish the NFL would go back to tat style, it makes things more exciting

That system doesnt work if everything is not in place. Not every team can be the 99 Rams. You can call all the plays in the world but if you dont have the personel it wont work. It is much easier to go with a more balanced attack and keep defenses honest. In the NFL the gimmick type spread offense just isnt utilized enough for a college player to come in with that backround and succeed in a more traditional offense.
The spread isn't a gimmick.
They used to say the same thing about the WCO and now it's everywhere.
Definetly making it harder to find a good one
A spread that has the quarterback in the shotgun on every play makes the transition to the pros that much harder. Less reads, qb never learned how to turn back to defense, less footwork involved.

The spread is making gains in the pros but no team is ever going to adapt to a Shotgun only offense. I'm weary of any QB that doesn't line up under center. They're going to have a much longer development phase.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 18, 2009 at 2:00 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
A spread that has the quarterback in the shotgun on every play makes the transition to the pros that much harder. Less reads, qb never learned how to turn back to defense, less footwork involved.

The spread is making gains in the pros but no team is ever going to adapt to a Shotgun only offense. I'm weary of any QB that doesn't line up under center. They're going to have a much longer development phase.

im by no means a professional but why is it so important to drop back? i understand the timing of the WR routes with the QB steps but are there any other reasons? in shotgun it seems like it would curb the other teams rush a little if the QB can see where theyre coming from instantly

im by no means a professional but why is it so important to drop back? i understand the timing of the WR routes with the QB steps but are there any other reasons? in shotgun it seems like it would curb the other teams rush a little if the QB can see where theyre coming from instantly

it's harder for a RB to run from a shotgun position, that's pretty much the only real reason ... I mean 'purists' will give others, but that's the only real one.

Originally posted by cestmoi:

it's harder for a RB to run from a shotgun position, that's pretty much the only real reason ... I mean 'purists' will give others, but that's the only real one.

not to mention the defense knows exactly were the QB is every single down.

it was alot easier to pressure the shotgun , you dont have to turn the Corner on the tackle nearly as hard.

There is no guess work involved against hte shotgun , against a team that mixes up drop depth, you dont know were the QB is on every down...
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by cestmoi:

not to mention the defense knows exactly were the QB is every single down.

it was alot easier to pressure the shotgun , you dont have to turn the Corner on the tackle nearly as hard.

There is no guess work involved against hte shotgun , against a team that mixes up drop depth, you dont know were the QB is on every down...

True about the pressure but some teams have wider splits on the o-line to counter that, and a lot of teams do rollouts from the shotgun and run variations on it like the pistol, so the QB isn't exactly a sitting duck.
No it isnt - because USC will always stay true the the pro-style offense and continue to churn out 1st rounder after 1st rounder at the position.
Not at all you will just see more Flacco type of guys getting drafted over guys like Tebow. The smaller school but still more traditional and wiht more fundamental qb's will be chosen over these guys b/c of this.
It certainly makes it harder to draft a QB that can come in and perform at a reasonable level, but I wouldn't say it "means the death of NFL QB's".
Share 49ersWebzone