LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Auction Drafts

So I've never done an auction draft and I am about to do my first one in about a month. I wanted to see if I could get some pointers/advice from anyone whose done them before. Is there a certain % of your total money you should never go over when bidding for a player? Or a rule of thumb at least? Any other tid bits I should be aware of?
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
There's much more receiver depth than rb depth. Top rbs go for around 40-50, I'd be sure to get at least one.

A tip is to nominate a player you dont want so others spend their money

Try a mock on yahoo
Originally posted by toeshawn:
There's much more receiver depth than rb depth. Top rbs go for around 40-50, I'd be sure to get at least one.

A tip is to nominate a player you dont want so others spend their money

Try a mock on yahoo

I'm actually finishing up a mock I did in Yahoo and it went very...interesting...I played around with nominating complete fools (I nominated Roy Helu with my 1st nomination lol) along with other strategies just to see how things play out...

It's definitely a much more strategy infested form of fantasy football
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Helu is a sleeper!
Originally posted by toeshawn:
Helu is a sleeper!

Helu will be sleepign on the bench.. about to get passed up by a rookie.
Originally posted by GameOver:
So I've never done an auction draft and I am about to do my first one in about a month. I wanted to see if I could get some pointers/advice from anyone whose done them before. Is there a certain % of your total money you should never go over when bidding for a player? Or a rule of thumb at least? Any other tid bits I should be aware of?

Auction draft are so much superior to any other style of drafting.

Basically in auction, you should assume you will be over paying for any player you want on your roster. For example, if you think Rodgers is $40, expect him to go for at least $50. Because what happens is 2-3 people will be in love with that player and get into a bidding war.

So put a value on all the guys and then decide which ones you are willing to over spend on. (For example, if you price Rodgers and Brady the same, which one would you over spend on? Neither?)

If you are a bit of a scrooge and only go for good value, you will lose in auction. To win in auction leagues you have to take major risks and over pay for players you believe in.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Aug 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM ]
Info above spoken well.. key is try to avoid temptation of blowing your whole load at the beginning the longer players stay out there AMD longer you wait better deals you will get.. you get money screwed early and people will not be even giving you chances at players
Originally posted by Fricker:
Info above spoken well.. key is try to avoid temptation of blowing your whole load at the beginning the longer players stay out there AMD longer you wait better deals you will get.. you get money screwed early and people will not be even giving you chances at players

That's true, but I'd also make sure to go big on at least one player early (I always go RB, sometimes 2x at RB). There are always some guys who go all value and end up with a team of all mediocre players which makes for a terrible team. You want at least a couple studs and some every week starters and to only play around with your lineup at a couple positions week to week.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Aug 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM ]
1. When it's your turn, nominate the highest price guy you DO NOT want. This way other people spend and have less money. (Exception: At the end of the rounds, when its usually $1 or $2 for D and Kickers, just nominate the people you want to finish the draft)

2. KNOW who you want. Target some players you know will beast this year, and spend on them, even if you have to overspend. My first year doing auction I though it would be clever to not get any elites and just wait and get a bunch of 'decent' players. Definitely did not work
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
1. When it's your turn, nominate the highest price guy you DO NOT want. This way other people spend and have less money. (Exception: At the end of the rounds, when its usually $1 or $2 for D and Kickers, just nominate the people you want to finish the draft)

2. KNOW who you want. Target some players you know will beast this year, and spend on them, even if you have to overspend. My first year doing auction I though it would be clever to not get any elites and just wait and get a bunch of 'decent' players. Definitely did not work

Dont nominate players you don't want. You may just end up with them.

Share 49ersWebzone