There are 223 users in the forums

advise for a rookie commish

hey guys I am relatively new commish of a ff league amongst a group of friends. There is a manager that has started dropping his def and kicker every week and grabbing a couple players. He then waits till Sat morning to drop them and grab a new D and kicker ensuring that no one else can use these players that week. I realize it isn't against any rules but I find this sleazy and against the spirit of what I think this league should be about. Am I overreacting? Can I tell him to stop being a weasel? Thanks any thoughts would be welcome
You're overreacting. It's a strategy, and he really doesn't gain a huge advantage by doing it.
that's fine. nice to see active players in the league
Originally posted by SacRock14:
You're overreacting. It's a strategy, and he really doesn't gain a huge advantage by doing it.

you are probably right. I do see the stratagy I just don't really like it, it isn't that he is gaining a big advantage he is just trying to screw other players. I guess in the end I believe you should always have a proper line up. Thanks for the comments I am pretty experienced at ff just new at the whole comish thing and trying to do it right.

cheers

I see your point, but it's a b***h MOVE
Originally posted by CdnNinerfan:
hey guys I am relatively new commish of a ff league amongst a group of friends. There is a manager that has started dropping his def and kicker every week and grabbing a couple players. He then waits till Sat morning to drop them and grab a new D and kicker ensuring that no one else can use these players that week. I realize it isn't against any rules but I find this sleazy and against the spirit of what I think this league should be about. Am I overreacting? Can I tell him to stop being a weasel? Thanks any thoughts would be welcome

You need a snickers because hes playing the game. Play to win or dont play at all
are there waivers in your league? if so, i would just have the last place team beat him to the punch. unless of course.. he is in last place, just trolling everybody.
You're the Commish. If you think he's doing the wrong thing make a change to the league. Don't go polling all your managers either, it's not a democracy.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
You're the Commish. If you think he's doing the wrong thing make a change to the league. Don't go polling all your managers either, it's not a democracy.

haha good point. It will be a rule next year. I haven't raised the topic with anyone in the league yet I just don't like the idea of changing rules mid season. I'm just using the forum as a sounding board getting a general feeling of what other players think
Originally posted by CdnNinerfan:
Originally posted by zillabeast:

haha good point. It will be a rule next year. I haven't raised the topic with anyone in the league yet I just don't like the idea of changing rules mid season. I'm just using the forum as a sounding board getting a general feeling of what other players think

Wise move, lesson learned.

Originally posted by vrabbit:

I see your point, but it's a b***h MOVE

But he's only dropping a kicker and a defense. And if he's dropping them, you have to assume they have little worth that week. Are guys that hard up for kickers and defenses that this guy's moves even mean anything?

You can even use it against him. You know he'll be looking for a defense on Saturday. Gobble up some of the better matchups.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
But he's only dropping a kicker and a defense. And if he's dropping them, you have to assume they have little worth that week. Are guys that hard up for kickers and defenses that this guy's moves even mean anything?

You can even use it against him. You know he'll be looking for a defense on Saturday. Gobble up some of the better matchups.

What I think the guy is doing is picking up other players and dropping them so they hit the WW and other owners can't get them. Then he gets the kicker and defense he wants on saturday. All the while, the WW darlings are still on the wire.

I did ths before myself. I was playing a friend of mine and one of his QB's got hurt. Other on a bye. So on Friday I picked up EVERY QB on the wire and dropped them. Ensuring they would be on the WW until Wednesday. He called me names and was pissed but come Monday and to this day we still laugh about it.

The bottom line is, you have 5 days (wed-Sun morning) to get guys you want. If you P***y foot til the last minute and get caught with your pants down. That's on you.

I wish I could do it to the people in my money league, as no one wants to trade. Freakin co**suckers. "I'm happy with my team", as they keep losing.
Easy solution to this.. all players have to be claimed through waivers that cost FA money. In our money league (ESPN site) we all have a $100 free agent pot where we put in blind bids for players. You can bid on Sunday morning up to 8AM. This prevents people from just going in and picking up players just to block others for free.
Share 49ersWebzone