SLATON
  • Dino
  • Veteran
slaton for sure
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Slaton by default

Quote:
According to beat writer Jeff Duncan, Saints RB Lynell Hamilton took the first-team reps during Wednesday's practice and expects a "heavy" workload Sunday against the Bills.

Pierre Thomas practiced fully Wednesday, but the Saints either don't think his knee can hold up or have soured on last year's feature back. Hamilton, who went undrafted out of San Diego State in 2008, has zero career carries and a long history of serious leg injuries. He also averaged just 3.2 YPC on 15 preseason attempts. The Saints' high-scoring offense makes him intriguing, but Hamilton wouldn't be worth more than a FLEX gamble in fantasy leagues.

Quote:
Updating a previous item, Lynell Hamilton saw first-team reps at Saints practice Wednesday along with both Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas, though Hamilton claims to have received the most.

Interestingly, the New Orleans Times-Picayune's blog calls Mike Bell (MCL sprain) the "starter" (when healthy). That means Hamilton and Thomas, both "backups," appear to be in a direct in-practice competition this week for early-down and goal-line carries at Buffalo. "The coaches went ahead and told me to be ready for the game," said Hamilton. Hamilton is healthier than Thomas, but not as talented. We'll keep a close eye on this situation all week.

Quote:
Sounding better for Pierre.......

From Rotoworld:
Saints coach Sean Payton remained cryptic on his running back plans for Sunday, but he said the team has confidence in Lynell Hamilton should he be called upon.

Payton stopped short of endorsing Hamilton as the starter, but he could rotate with Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush. We are tentatively expecting Thomas to start, with Hamilton pitching in as needed.

and better yet for PT owners.......

Though Mike Bell has not been ruled out for Sunday's game, beat writer Mike Triplett expects him to miss 3-4 weeks with his sprained MCL.

Triplett appears to be extrapolating based on Pierre Thomas' recent recovery period. The Saints haven't updated Bell's status beyond the revelation that the injury is a sprained MCL. There's been no public timetable on his return, but that's how Thomas' injury was first reported as well. If Bell does miss multiple weeks, it could leave the door open for Thomas to regain his lead-back role

I like Pierre when starting and healthy. But this is starting to remind me of Mike Shanahan and the mess Denver use to have.

edit: Then there's this from a Saints homer FWIW

Quote:
I think Payton is liking this power running game, and Hamilton fits the Bell roll, and Payton knows he can't rely on Bush to tote the ball as the main man up the middle for the whole game and he won't stick with it like he did last year. So if I was in a situation of say starting LJ or maybe Jamaal Lewis or Derrick Ward or Michael Bush, or was sick and tired of waiting on Slaton or someone like that, and if all the stars aligned, I'd consider starting Hamilton
[ Edited by krizay on Sep 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM ]
I just dont think its ever smart to bench your #1 or #2 pick like Slaton when he is at home and healthy. He has to be the play.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I just dont think its ever smart to bench your #1 or #2 pick like Slaton when he is at home and healthy. He has to be the play.

I strongly disagree. Even your #1 and #2 picks don't always have Studly games. Without checking the numbers. I'd be willing to bet that most #1/#2 RB/WR finish out of the top 20 on a given week more than they finish in it. But there "boom" counters those average weeks.

The only downside is if/when you pick the wrong week. But I'd bet the numbers say you have ATLEAST A 50/50 shot.

With that said. I would never bench AP/AJ/Fitz/Moss or Calvin. AND unless I have a Schaub or Palmer with a great matchup. I would never bench Brees/Brady/Manning
Slaton is due for a good game
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I strongly disagree. Even your #1 and #2 picks don't always have Studly games. Without checking the numbers. I'd be willing to bet that most #1/#2 RB/WR finish out of the top 20 on a given week more than they finish in it. But there "boom" counters those average weeks.

The only downside is if/when you pick the wrong week. But I'd bet the numbers say you have ATLEAST A 50/50 shot.

With that said. I would never bench AP/AJ/Fitz/Moss or Calvin. AND unless I have a Schaub or Palmer with a great matchup. I would never bench Brees/Brady/Manning

I for one do not want to have my #1 guy go off with a huge game when he is on my bench. I believe in playing my top studs. For me.. I have Chris Johnson, Andre Johson, and Matt Schaub who will never sit regardless of the matchup.
pierre thomas is starting?
Share 49ersWebzone