LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

2017-18 season Los Angeles Lakers thread (and now offseason)

Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Why the Lakers buyout with Deng is better than you think

Good read. Lakers front office knows what they're doing. They have proven it in 2 really good off-seasons.

Though, I don't think there is any chance Durant comes to Lakers...having 38m in cap space gives them all the flexibility needed.

If Lakers swing and miss on Durant, Klay, Kawhi - then rather than overpaying Butler - maybe Lakers want to add 2 great complimentary pieces to the roster like Khris Middleton and DeAndre Jordan. They can possibly do that with 38M in cap space.

I'd rather sign Smush Parker, off the streets, than DJ. Guy is terrible.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyChile:

Good read. Lakers front office knows what they're doing. They have proven it in 2 really good off-seasons.

Though, I don't think there is any chance Durant comes to Lakers...having 38m in cap space gives them all the flexibility needed.

If Lakers swing and miss on Durant, Klay, Kawhi - then rather than overpaying Butler - maybe Lakers want to add 2 great complimentary pieces to the roster like Khris Middleton and DeAndre Jordan. They can possibly do that with 38M in cap space.

How is he terrible? Lol @smush Parker

He is lazy all over the court, clearly is the opposite of what Luke wants in an offensive big man, and in general has never led a team past the the first round. I think the chances our FO signs a guy who can't shoot, isn't a leader in any way and takes plays off on defense is less than slim, more like none.

DJ is like a poor man's Dwight. And with Dwight being passed around like a hot potato right now, being a poor man's dwight is not what you want to be..
[ Edited by DynastyChile on Sep 5, 2018 at 9:46 AM ]

lol I have to agree with the other guys... Middleton and DJ would be only slightly better than Deng and Mozgov lol.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Arminini:

lol I have to agree with the other guys... Middleton and DJ would be only slightly better than Deng and Mozgov lol.

Not sure if serious. Middleton is one of the best 3 and D guy in the entire league and DeAndre is not slightly better than Mozgov.

So, you'd rather pay max to Butler as he's turning 30 and has played for Thibs mostly?
I know you're new around here, but we're gonna have to put a stop to any DJ love...and the talk of signing the scrub in light of our beautiful movement to modern, winning basketball is borderline blasphemy.

Not sure if serious. Middleton is one of the best 3 and D guy in the entire league and DeAndre is not slightly better than Mozgov.

So, you'd rather pay max to Butler as he's turning 30 and has played for Thibs mostly?

I think you can get dudes that produce 75% of Middleton/DJ for 25% of the cost.

Overpaying for complimentary guys is as big a risk as injuries to top players, thus the Deng/Mozgov analogy and 2017 Cavs. I'd rather have the Lakers do something similar to what they did this year, one years deals of different values, to set up contracts for potential mid-season trades than lock into longer term commitments to players that arent taking the team to a championship level.
lol guys – clearly DJ is a GOOD player in this L. He's what Javale McGee wishes he could be.

With that said, I too have no interest in signing him. Kris Middleton would be a great pickup. Him + another complimentary piece is fine if we strike out, although...

I don't consider overpaying for Jimmy Buckets as a bad move. I rather go all in on Jimmy then get Middleton + another.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Overpaying for complimentary guys is as big a risk as injuries to top players, thus the Deng/Mozgov analogy and 2017 Cavs. I'd rather have the Lakers do something similar to what they did this year, one years deals of different values, to set up contracts for potential mid-season trades than lock into longer term commitments to players that arent taking the team to a championship level.

Can you plz provide an example of a player who can give you 75% of Middleton and cost 25%
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GameOver:
lol guys – clearly DJ is a GOOD player in this L. He's what Javale McGee wishes he could be.

With that said, I too have no interest in signing him. Kris Middleton would be a great pickup. Him + another complimentary piece is fine if we strike out, although...

I don't consider overpaying for Jimmy Buckets as a bad move. I rather go all in on Jimmy then get Middleton + another.

Thibs is running Jimmy Buckets into the ground.

Anyway, FWIW Jimmy Buckets and Kyrie have said many times that they want to play together. I think they end up on the same team.

Is it really that clear? Lets see who gives him a big 4-5 year contract next offseason after his 1 year deal with the most free agent desperate team/owner in the league. We can revisit in 10 months.

Is it really that clear? Lets see who gives him a big 4-5 year contract next offseason after his 1 year deal with the most free agent desperate team/owner in the league. We can revisit in 10 months.

he's regressed over the past 2 years. he's not an elite defender anymore, and he's never been good player on offense. perfect scenario is getting him next year as a back up center who gets 15-20 min a game. with Lonzo and Bron passing the ball, he will get easy buckets, and he can still play defense, just not at an elite level anymore.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

he's regressed over the past 2 years. he's not an elite defender anymore, and he's never been good player on offense. perfect scenario is getting him next year as a back up center who gets 15-20 min a game. with Lonzo and Bron passing the ball, he will get easy buckets, and he can still play defense, just not at an elite level anymore.

No thanks. Some terrible team will pay him 20 mil for a year and he'll continue that and ride off into the sunset and go clubbing every night and never care about winning and we'll be better off for it.

Can you plz provide an example of a player who can give you 75% of Middleton and cost 25%

Doesnt necessarily have to be 25% of Middleton's contract, but the point I'm making is giving a 1 year commitment rather than a multi-year deal gives the Lakers flexibility for mid-year trades and FA in the next year. Players like CJ Miles, Morris Bros, Kylie Anderson, Terance Ross, Rudy Gay, Demar Carrol, Ariza are guys that wont demand as big a contract for as long a period. Obviously Middleton is better than that group, but I'd only commit to a long term contract if he I'm sure he's an all start player.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Doesnt necessarily have to be 25% of Middleton's contract, but the point I'm making is giving a 1 year commitment rather than a multi-year deal gives the Lakers flexibility for mid-year trades and FA in the next year. Players like CJ Miles, Morris Bros, Kylie Anderson, Terance Ross, Rudy Gay, Demar Carrol, Ariza are guys that wont demand as big a contract for as long a period. Obviously Middleton is better than that group, but I'd only commit to a long term contract if he I'm sure he's an all start player.

Yea Middleton is a LOT better than those guys.
Share 49ersWebzone