There are 152 users in the forums

2016-17 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Not saying Ball wont be good, but triple doubles from a PG who was the 2nd overall pick, in the summer league, isn't really an indicator. Summer League favors the guys who handle the ball a lot. And hes an elite prospect facing a bunch of nobodies.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Not saying Ball wont be good, but triple doubles from a PG who was the 2nd overall pick, in the summer league, isn't really an indicator. Summer League favors the guys who handle the ball a lot. And hes an elite prospect facing a bunch of nobodies.

Was this a response to something, or just a drive by interjection? lol

Isn't he the only one to ever do it in SL? I thought I had heard that on some news feed, and I came up empty on a search of all time stats for the SL. If that is the case it makes is somewhat significant, doesn't it? Let me say this about Ball (my opinion only of course). I think his worst enemy will be himself, in that the hype will get him or he starts believing all the hype. Aside from that, and injuries of course, I think this guy is can't miss.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

He's 19.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Isn't he the only one to ever do it in SL? I thought I had heard that on some news feed, and I came up empty on a search of all time stats for the SL. If that is the case it makes is somewhat significant, doesn't it? Let me say this about Ball (my opinion only of course). I think his worst enemy will be himself, in that the hype will get him or he starts believing all the hype. Aside from that, and injuries of course, I think this guy is can't miss.

ya, ego is a concern and how he handles it. but my biggest concern though, from basically watching all his SL games now, is the lack of "fire" he plays with. he'll make a nice "and 1" or a big go ahead bucket, and doesn't get too emotional about it. i guess i'm used to the emotions that Kobe played with, and the teams feels that, the feed off of it. however, Kareem wasn't an in your face guy, Duncan wasn't either, and Magic was just smiles too.
Originally posted by 4ML:

He's 19.

And what was the average age of the summer league players?
Originally posted by 4ML:

He's 19.

And what was the average age of the summer league players?

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Originally posted by PacTiger:
Originally posted by titan:
Omg, I just seen we traded for lopez. I'm so far out of the loop.

Lol! I was like that after Kobe retired. I got depressed!

I'll make an effort to watch a few games this year.

IVe got a feeling you're going to be watching more than a few.

What would everyone put our O/U at for this year.

Vegas has us at 32.5. I think that's realistic as well as obtainable. I'd take the over.

I will go with 36-46 for Lakers this year. I agree... take the over.

I'd be shocked if we won 35+ games this year.

This hype is all based on Lonzo playing well in SL, Kuz looking good, and BI having that one strong game. Sample size is insignificant and competition level is drastically different. West has gotten much better. In our own division, I'm not sure we can beat the Kings or Suns.

Only way we crack 35+ is if something similar to what happened in March/April happens again this year. Where we pull out a bunch of wins and teams start slowing down either with an eye towards the postseason or their summer vacation.

*Edit: Or if BI/Lonzo take a step this year that I'm not projecting and Julius plays like his life depends on it since it's a contract year. BI would have to play at a level where he's seen as a bubble all star player and Lonzo at a RoY level. Even in that case, I just think the West is too strong and our team too weak for us to get 35+ wins.
[ Edited by GameOver on Jul 23, 2017 at 2:30 PM ]
Originally posted by GameOver:

Vegas has us at 32.5. I think that's realistic as well as obtainable. I'd take the over.

This hype is all based on Lonzo playing well in SL, Kuz looking good, and BI having that one strong game. Sample size is insignificant and competition level is drastically different. West has gotten much better. In our own division, I'm not sure we can beat the Kings or Suns.

Only way we crack 35+ is if something similar to what happened in March/April happens again this year. Where we pull out a bunch of wins and teams start slowing down either with an eye towards the postseason or their summer vacation.

*Edit: Or if BI/Lonzo take a step this year that I'm not projecting and Julius plays like his life depends on it since it's a contract year. BI would have to play at a level where he's seen as a bubble all star player and Lonzo at a RoY level. Even in that case, I just think the West is too strong and our team too weak for us to get 35+ wins.

I don't have any idea. I just hope they can compete.
I don't think 35 wins is impossible, this offense is gonna be pretty good. I don't think Lonzos scoring will translate to the big stage yet, but his passing still will, and don't forget the addition of Lopez. He's been a 20 ppg big his whole career, and now hits 3s with consistency. KCP, Clarkson, Ingram, Randle, Zu, Lopez, Kuz, this team has some fire power. We'll suck on defense again, but we'll put up enough points to win games.

Originally posted by GameOver:

I think its certainly possible and even likely. I think Caldwell-Pope and Brooks Lopez in addition to Ball gives the Lakers 3 solid starters to add to Ingram and Randle. The key will be how much contribution they can get from the bench. This will be a MUCH improved team in my opinion.
I hope all of your optimism is correct. Perhaps the past few years of utter suck has made me jaded. We'll find out...come October!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I think its certainly possible and even likely. I think Caldwell-Pope and Brooks Lopez in addition to Ball gives the Lakers 3 solid starters to add to Ingram and Randle. The key will be how much contribution they can get from the bench. This will be a MUCH improved team in my opinion.

I think your estimate is pretty good. I'd put them close to 35 wins as well. But, I wonder if they'll keep Lopez and KCP for the entire season. They'd be great trade baits at the deadline (trade for picks). I think they try to move Clarkson and Deng too if they can find a sucker...which can lead to a very poor record after all star break. But, yes - I think it's a good chance that they'll be on pace for 35 wins if they keep the team together.
[ Edited by 4ML on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:18 PM ]
If the OU in vegas was 35.5 I'd hammer the under. If 1 starter goes down this team is barely a 30 win team. Ball is going to make this team way more competitive night in night out, but thats doesn't mean we are going to win 36 games in the west. Our defense is going to be brutal.

Big time strides this year, but look toward 2018 for breakout and approaching 40-45 wins.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20398462/magic-johnson-los-angeles-lakers-being-investigated-possible-tampering-regarding-paul-george

"if found guilty, PG won't be allowed to join the Lakers next year".

Jimmy followed that up by questioning what Magic would do if he saw Paul George while on vacation. Here's Magic's answer:

"No, we gonna say hi because we know each other, you just can't say, 'Hey, I want you to come to the Lakers,' even though I'll be wink winking like (winks a bunch of times) you know what that means right?"

magic ...
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Aug 21, 2017 at 11:27 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone