There are 167 users in the forums

Where are the Polynesian Runners?

Hey dim! your threads bursting at the seams! Quick add another room!
[ Edited by dilligaf on Nov 9, 2015 at 3:10 AM ]
Originally posted by Nicebutdim:
Hey guys, I joined on the Hayne plane bandwagon but I've also been a casual fan of the NFL for many years. Like many here I wanted to follow a cool story and have been intrigued after many Pub debates over the years about rugby vs NFL... clearly it fascinating to see what an elite rugby (league in this instance) player could do. Personally I think its been a success so far with the instincts and athleticism being adaptable to the NFL, however just the game knowledge isn't there which even a couple of years of High School football would have helped, and I hope he can pick up the missing pieces in the next 12 months or so. What Hayne has shown though is that his combination of size, speed and elusiveness can be a potent mix. Now the guy is half Fijian and half Aussie and we rugby players are well used to the athletic potential of Polynesian athletes. Same is true of the NFL however they almost exclusively seem to be the big boys. Mass has never been a problem for these guys but its got me wondering why there aren't more Polynesian's in the skill positions. In rugby Polynesian's bring tremendous physicality but they are also very fluid runners of the ball. Hayne has clearly demonstrated this and he is not unique. Really puzzled by this as there is a big Polynesian population to draw from in the US. Any ideas? btw here are some examples of the rugby boys I'm talking about......

If you transplant this argument to rugby league we find that most polynesians are used for brute size rather then play making ability.Name a polynesian player that is steering around a nrl team.Please dont say shaun johnson because he is half laos and half europe.The Samoan and Tongan international teams would be competitive if they could find ball players to augment the size and physicality.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
You should PM the user valrod33. He was a former Polynesian runner and a damn good one at that.
Originally posted by Nicebutdim:
Hey guys, I joined on the Hayne plane bandwagon but I've also been a casual fan of the NFL for many years. Like many here I wanted to follow a cool story and have been intrigued after many Pub debates over the years about rugby vs NFL... clearly it fascinating to see what an elite rugby (league in this instance) player could do. Personally I think its been a success so far with the instincts and athleticism being adaptable to the NFL, however just the game knowledge isn't there which even a couple of years of High School football would have helped, and I hope he can pick up the missing pieces in the next 12 months or so. What Hayne has shown though is that his combination of size, speed and elusiveness can be a potent mix. Now the guy is half Fijian and half Aussie and we rugby players are well used to the athletic potential of Polynesian athletes. Same is true of the NFL however they almost exclusively seem to be the big boys. Mass has never been a problem for these guys but its got me wondering why there aren't more Polynesian's in the skill positions. In rugby Polynesian's bring tremendous physicality but they are also very fluid runners of the ball. Hayne has clearly demonstrated this and he is not unique. Really puzzled by this as there is a big Polynesian population to draw from in the US. Any ideas? btw here are some examples of the rugby boys I'm talking about......

Basically, the NFL is where the genetic freaks are, so that's why most of the Polynesians in the NFL are the big 'uns. And if you're big, you're likely to play a non-skill position.

But as for skill players, some come to mind:
Troy Polamalu - SS - Steelers (retired)
Roy Helu - RB - Raiders
Malcom Floyd - WR - Chargers
Vai Sikahema - BYU (long ago) + some NFL teams

There should be a some skill-position college players too:
Su'a Cravens - USC
Randall Goforth - UCLA
Sefo Liufau - Colorado

Edit: Marcus Mariota is part Samoan and there was also Marques Tuiasosopo

Also, Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala and Will Tufuaku played/play FB, though I wouldn't really call them "skill" guys.
[ Edited by zonkers on Nov 27, 2015 at 11:15 PM ]
Originally posted by zonkers:
Basically, the NFL is where the genetic freaks are, so that's why most of the Polynesians in the NFL are the big 'uns. And if you're big, you're likely to play a non-skill position.

Roy Helu - RB - Raiders
Malcom Smith - WR - Chargers
Vincent Jackson - WR - Bucs

Su'a Cravens - USC
Randall Goforth - UCLA
Sefo Liufau - Colorado

Vincent Jackson?

And I think you're talking about Malcolm Floyd, not Smith
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by zonkers:

Roy Helu - RB - Raiders
Malcom Smith - WR - Chargers
Vincent Jackson - WR - Bucs

Su'a Cravens - USC
Randall Goforth - UCLA
Sefo Liufau - Colorado

Vincent Jackson?

And I think you're talking about Malcolm Floyd, not Smith

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of Malcom Floyd. I had always thought Vincent Jackson was half-Samoan, but it looks like he's not.
Samoans aren't known for being fast. There aren't a ton of white RB's, WR's, or CB's either. And an absurd % of the men who have run under 10 second 100 meter dashes are black (I think one white French guy has done it and no Samoans as far as I know). The best players at quick twitch positions are black and that's not something that is likely to change in the next 200 years or the result of any bias. Jordy Nelson and Troy Polamalu are exceptions.

Rugby requires a lot more endurance. Guys like Adrian Peterson would dominate in a way Hayne never could because Peterson in his prime had more explosiveness than any rugby player that ever lived and had great endurance as an every down back. I played rugby for a couple years in college (outside center) and have a lot of respect for the sport, but the two sports require slightly different skillsets. Many football players wouldn't be able to hold up for an entire rugby match and most rugby players don't have the size or athleticism to succeed in the NFL. Hayne was an exceptionally athletic rugby player, but he's a mediocre at best athlete (quick twitch) at the RB position in the NFL.
  • 4x9er
  • Veteran
Apparently one's in the practise squad.

• 4x9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Samoans aren't known for being fast. There aren't a ton of white RB's, WR's, or CB's either. And an absurd % of the men who have run under 10 second 100 meter dashes are black (I think one white French guy has done it and no Samoans as far as I know). The best players at quick twitch positions are black and that's not something that is likely to change in the next 200 years or the result of any bias. Jordy Nelson and Troy Polamalu are exceptions.

Rugby requires a lot more endurance. Guys like Adrian Peterson would dominate in a way Hayne never could because Peterson in his prime had more explosiveness than any rugby player that ever lived and had great endurance as an every down back. I played rugby for a couple years in college (outside center) and have a lot of respect for the sport, but the two sports require slightly different skillsets. Many football players wouldn't be able to hold up for an entire rugby match and most rugby players don't have the size or athleticism to succeed in the NFL. Hayne was an exceptionally athletic rugby player, but he's a mediocre at best athlete (quick twitch) at the RB position in the NFL.
adrian peterson whose he? Did he play for the world champion rugby league side? World champion union side? Oh he must be like Lomu....nope never heard of him so dont compare!
  • 4x9er
  • Veteran
Samoans or islanders dont have the mentality to train like a olympic athlete BUT they do have the quick explosiveness, and yes indurance is questionable especially when it comes to rest time.
Originally posted by jrg:
You should PM the user valrod33. He was a former Polynesian runner and a damn good one at that.

This. He's got the poly face to boot. Its obvious.
Share 49erswebzone