There are 128 users in the forums

Where are the Polynesian Runners?

Hey guys, I joined on the Hayne plane bandwagon but I've also been a casual fan of the NFL for many years. Like many here I wanted to follow a cool story and have been intrigued after many Pub debates over the years about rugby vs NFL... clearly it fascinating to see what an elite rugby (league in this instance) player could do. Personally I think its been a success so far with the instincts and athleticism being adaptable to the NFL, however just the game knowledge isn't there which even a couple of years of High School football would have helped, and I hope he can pick up the missing pieces in the next 12 months or so. What Hayne has shown though is that his combination of size, speed and elusiveness can be a potent mix. Now the guy is half Fijian and half Aussie and we rugby players are well used to the athletic potential of Polynesian athletes. Same is true of the NFL however they almost exclusively seem to be the big boys. Mass has never been a problem for these guys but its got me wondering why there aren't more Polynesian's in the skill positions. In rugby Polynesian's bring tremendous physicality but they are also very fluid runners of the ball. Hayne has clearly demonstrated this and he is not unique. Really puzzled by this as there is a big Polynesian population to draw from in the US. Any ideas? btw here are some examples of the rugby boys I'm talking about......

That plane has took off

There just aren't many polynesians for them to draw on? They do have American Samoa, and despite being tiny they have provided over 70 NFL players. "A Samoan male is 56 times more likely to play in the NFL than an American non-Samoan.". If West Africans are the world's greatest sprinters and jumpers, and East Africans the world's best distance runners, you'd have to say that polynesians/maoris are pretty much the best at smashing into things and trucking people.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/leighsteinberg/2015/05/21/how-can-tiny-samoa-dominate-the-nfl/
Originally posted by cyril33:
There just aren't many polynesians for them to draw on? They do have American Samoa, and despite being tiny they have provided over 70 NFL players. "A Samoan male is 56 times more likely to play in the NFL than an American non-Samoan.". If West Africans are the world's greatest sprinters and jumpers, and East Africans the world's best distance runners, you'd have to say that polynesians/maoris are pretty much the best at smashing into things and trucking people.

And great steppers. Just wonder why there aren't some in the NFL playing RB etc.... just seems a focus on the massive units and sticking them in the OL and DL.
Ha, just came across this:

--
Isa'ako "Isaac" Sopoaga (pronounced /soʊpoʊˈɑːɡə/ soh-poh-ah-gə; born September 4, 1981) is an American football nose tackle who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the fourth round of the 2004 NFL Draft.
He played rugby league growing up in Samoa.
While he was noted for his "outstanding strength" and quickness off the snap, scouts criticized his tendency to "get tall, which negates his power,"
--

So the 49ers have already had an upright-running rugby-league-playing islander on the books. Hayne is just number two.
[ Edited by cyril33 on Nov 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM ]
Theres already some good Polynesian players in the NRL that would give the NFL a fright!

1st thing Yanks have to remember; In RUGBY LEAGUE, a player must be able to TACKLE AND be a DAMAGING BALL RUNNER. Because its an 80 minute game, small players get picked on by offences. If you are small, they run at you all day. So there isn't many small Rugby League players. For example, Bruce Ellington is 5'9. Which would make him one of the smallest RL players in Australia. He may do ok in space, but they are going to punish him when he runs, and run AT him in defence. Ellington wouldn't last. He is fragile already, in a game of only 11 minutes.

Pacific Islanders LOVE Rugby, and now Rugby League even more. Australian NRL clubs comb the islands for the best football talent. Only the best, fastest, biggest, and good defenders make it. So when an American talent scout comes down here to OZ to look at our NRL, he will salivate!. Big, fast, hard players with all the d******ds already sorted out (mostly).

Tuavaisa Check, is young enough to go to the NFL and would succeed. There would be others in the u20s going around as well. The NRL is now dominated by big, fast Polynesian players who LOVE BIG CONTACT. They aren't lean muscled, fast athletes like African/Americans. They are fast/ beefy muscled athletes, low injury rates and recover quickly from injury. That's why clubs love them. and NRL clubs have 70% Polynesian players nowadays.

Some Polynesian players are big mobile, defensive players; 6'6 and 250lb. Some are Super quick and agile players 6'-6'2 and 220lb. All can tackle. All can run over you or make you miss. That's why Hayne is so good. That has been his training ground for 9 seasons. And was MVP for 2 seasons.

Oh, and every team has a goal kicker that would eat any of your goal kickers. They kick from tight angles, not just from in front, AND they can run, and tackle AS WELL!!.

Answer to the question; Where are the Polynesian Runners? A; They are playing Rugby League in Australia. (hundreds of them, and elite)
[ Edited by thirthyeight on Nov 5, 2015 at 10:29 AM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thirthyeight:
Theres already some good Polynesian players in the NRL that would give the NFL a fright!

1st thing Yanks have to remember; In RUGBY LEAGUE, a player must be able to TACKLE AND be a DAMAGING BALL RUNNER. Because its an 80 minute game, small players get picked on by offences. If you are small, they run at you all day. So there isn't many small Rugby League players. For example, Bruce Ellington is 5'9. Which would make him one of the smallest RL players in Australia. He may do ok in space, but they are going to punish him when he runs, and run AT him in defence. Ellington wouldn't last. He is fragile already, in a game of only 11 minutes.

Pacific Islanders LOVE Rugby, and now Rugby League even more. Australian NRL clubs comb the islands for the best football talent. Only the best, fastest, biggest, and good defenders make it. So when an American talent scout comes down here to OZ to look at our NRL, he will salivate!. Big, fast, hard players with all the d******ds already sorted out (mostly).

Tuavaisa Check, is young enough to go to the NFL and would succeed. There would be others in the u20s going around as well. The NRL is now dominated by big, fast Polynesian players who LOVE BIG CONTACT. They aren't lean muscled, fast athletes like African/Americans. They are fast/ beefy muscled athletes, low injury rates and recover quickly from injury. That's why clubs love them. and NRL clubs have 70% Polynesian players nowadays.

Some Polynesian players are big mobile, defensive players; 6'6 and 250lb. Some are Super quick and agile players 6'-6'2 and 220lb. All can tackle. All can run over you or make you miss. That's why Hayne is so good. That has been his training ground for 9 seasons. And was MVP for 2 seasons.

Oh, and every team has a goal kicker that would eat any of your goal kickers. They kick from tight angles, not just from in front, AND they can run, and tackle AS WELL!!.

Answer to the question; Where are the Polynesian Runners? A; They are playing Rugby League in Australia. (hundreds of them, and elite)

That isn't the answer to the question at all. There is a very large Polynesian population living in America. Roughly 800k I've read. I am asking why they don't do the skill roles despite clearly being able to. Is there confirmation bias that Polynesians just do the big boy roles?
Originally posted by Nicebutdim:
Originally posted by thirthyeight:

That isn't the answer to the question at all. There is a very large Polynesian population living in America. Roughly 800k I've read. I am asking why they don't do the skill roles despite clearly being able to. Is there confirmation bias that Polynesians just do the big boy roles?

Troy Polamalu was an all pro Safety for many years with the steelers.

Er why has this been moved to 'Other Sports'?

Fair enough it shouldn't have been in the 49 team forum, but I'm asking about Polynesian talent in the NFL.... surely 'NFL Talk'?
  • FAS33
  • Veteran
Malo uce. Au mai oe. Labisi o te 49ers
  • Jiks
  • Veteran
http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865580204/Utes-football-recruiting-Polynesian-players-prosper-at-Utah.html?pg=all
Originally posted by Nicebutdim:
Er why has this been moved to 'Other Sports'?

Fair enough it shouldn't have been in the 49 team forum, but I'm asking about Polynesian talent in the NFL.... surely 'NFL Talk'?

You're title was very misleading. The terminology you chose is not something we'd say here. I thought you were talking about runners, like track and field athletes. If you said "where are the Polynesian Ball Carriers?", we'd know what you were talking about. That's probably why it got stuck in this forum instead of NFL Talk b
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
You're title was very misleading. The terminology you chose is not something we'd say here. I thought you were talking about runners, like track and field athletes. If you said "where are the Polynesian Ball Carriers?", we'd know what you were talking about. That's probably why it got stuck in this forum instead of NFL Talk b

I guess reading the post was too much! Anyway can't change the title now it seems.
Share 49erswebzone