There are 247 users in the forums

Marble thread

• FAS33
  • Veteran
played professionally in Costa Rica.

Tombolas, red barons. Also used in the mousetrap game.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
  • lazy
  • Veteran
and he's not getting suspensions, but i am?
I used to smash other kids marbles with me old man's Jimmy.
Hallowe'en just doesn't work in Australia. It's only 'celebrated' by a few (which is good BTW). Usually it's just the local fat kids bumming around trying to skive a treat. Like they need it. They don't think much of it when all you offer is a celery stick. They should play marbles and lose some weight. At least do some exercise.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
use to boil my marbles, then put them under cold water. They'd shatter, but remain together. Then later, during a match, I'd put one in when the other player wasn't looking. I then hit that marble, it shatters, and everyone is in awe at my powerful delivery.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
use to boil my marbles, then put them under cold water. They'd shatter, but remain together. Then later, during a match, I'd put one in when the other player wasn't looking. I then hit that marble, it shatters, and everyone is in awe at my powerful delivery.

Lol We played marbles for a while at school when i was a little kid.. Don't know how you used to play but we would throw to hit the other guys marble on the full.. We would play with bad marbles and gamble good ones.. Like use cats eyes as the playing marble and gamble for a milky or whatever... I always used a big metal bearing as my play marble lol. Win or lose the other guys play marble was gonna get destroyed lol
[ Edited by growlzee on Oct 31, 2015 at 7:52 AM ]

Originally posted by Strine49:
Hallowe'en just doesn't work in Australia. It's only 'celebrated' by a few (which is good BTW). Usually it's just the local fat kids bumming around trying to skive a treat. Like they need it. They don't think much of it when all you offer is a celery stick. They should play marbles and lose some weight. At least do some exercise.

Not around here mate.. Really starting to take off.. Tonight every second house had a cut out pumpkin and a million kids and their parents walking around town dressed as ghouls and zombies knocking on doors.. Since like 10pm people have been letting off fire crackers and fireworks in my street..
Originally posted by growlzee:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Lol We played marbles for a while at school when i was a little kid.. Don't know how you used to play but we would throw to hit the other guys marble on the full.. We would play with bad marbles and gamble good ones.. Like use cats eyes as the playing marble and gamble for a milky or whatever... I always used a big metal bearing as my play marble lol. Win or lose the other guys play marble was gonna get destroyed lol

Ha. Kind of sounds like boules but a lot harder. Yeah we used to have cats eyes and barons up as a wager too. All I remember is a digit in the ground with a circle drawn around it (using a stick). Every now and then someone would put there thumb on the ground a draw a bit of an arc with their fingers. I think they used to shoot from there?. I think I played it when I was about 8 yo.

Not around here mate.. Really starting to take off.. Tonight every second house had a cut out pumpkin and a million kids and their parents walking around town dressed as ghouls and zombies knocking on doors.. Since like 10pm people have been letting off fire crackers and fireworks in my street..

Interesting. So that's in QLD? I'm in regional NSW. There'd be 1 in 20 houses maybe even less. Doesn't get much of a run here even though the chain stores push it. I just pull the batteries out of the door bell so no real harm done.

Yeah, that's what we did where I grew up in Tewantin in Queensland. None of that chalk circle on the ground stuff. And yeah, the ball bearings or "steelies" as we called them. They were one reason marbles were banned from school.

Interesting. So that's in QLD? I'm in regional NSW. There'd be 1 in 20 houses maybe even less. Doesn't get much of a run here even though the chain stores push it. I just pull the batteries out of the door bell so no real harm done.

There wasn't a lot of activity around my place last night on the Goldy. A couple of knocks but I just ignore em, I've never been into Halloween. My old man always said it was a yank thing haha!
Share 49ersWebzone