There are 102 users in the forums

Which rugby/league players could possibly excel in the NFL? Lets have the discussion

Apparently mundane believes hes better than jarryd, so lets see if anthony mundane can make it in the nfl, like flat on his back like what ottke did to him.

Mundane you poor gemmin fool.
Mundine is grotesque, going to a dead sport and being truly terrible in it merely makes rugby league look bad. In general the calibre of athlete in the Nrl is much higher than that. It seems everyone who takes up boxing and beats some loser becomes some kind of champion. It's truly just a farcical sport these days.

Anyway, watching more and more nfl I'm starting to think the Nrl players that would excel might be a little counter intuitive to us aussies. We think of American football players being massive, and some are, but a lot of them are small and especially in the positions with the most transferable skills. When you look at players like Darren sproles and Antonio Brown an Nrl player that fits that mould would be Anthony Milford. Maybe more so than he fits the Nrl mould. We sort of don't know what to do with these little guys in the Nrl, try and shoe horn them into the halves even though they're electric ball runners. I think Milford would be an ideal candidate, more so than rts by a long way, and he's only 21.
Originally posted by Tonedog:
Mundine is grotesque, going to a dead sport and being truly terrible in it merely makes rugby league look bad. In general the calibre of athlete in the Nrl is much higher than that. It seems everyone who takes up boxing and beats some loser becomes some kind of champion. It's truly just a farcical sport these days.

Anyway, watching more and more nfl I'm starting to think the Nrl players that would excel might be a little counter intuitive to us aussies. We think of American football players being massive, and some are, but a lot of them are small and especially in the positions with the most transferable skills. When you look at players like Darren sproles and Antonio Brown an Nrl player that fits that mould would be Anthony Milford. Maybe more so than he fits the Nrl mould. We sort of don't know what to do with these little guys in the Nrl, try and shoe horn them into the halves even though they're electric ball runners. I think Milford would be an ideal candidate, more so than rts by a long way, and he's only 21.

If Mundine wasn't such a douche and was humble he might get the same support Hayne has been getting.. The Aussie public isn't interested in following a self absorbed big mouth tho ... Most people watch his fights hoping to see him get knocked out.. I don't think there is any other Australian sportsman that Aussies would cheer for the international challenger over the Aussie..
  • FAS33
  • Veteran
Leave my hero alone, said no-one ever.
Todd Carney. He's available and willing to serve drinks to the boys. Everyone else is too slow and they run too high.
Martin tapau left the west tigers for manly hes a huge game buster.
Thomas burgess is trying out for the giants.
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran
https://youtu.be/PEyanmWO1iU
Posted elsewhere
This kid could be spectacular in a few years of growing n learning
NFL should pick him up young to groom him
  • 4x9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tonedog:
Seems any time this topic comes up people are quick to quash it and say "lets just focus on hayne", but for those of us who are intrigued by exploring the idea here is a thread.

My top candidate, especially if he was younger, has to be GI, even more so than hayne who would have been second on my list. You can say tuivasa sheck this and Israel Folau that but seriously no one has a highlight reel like this, including hayne-

The things he can do are freakish by any standard anywhere ever. Might go in and out of games and go missing on occassion but that just seems all the more perfect for the NFL. I actually think he could be a Tight End or outside linebacker, his choice.

I have a lot more to say on the topic but just want to open the discussion for now.
If Greg Inglis was 18-21 again he would be a freak reciever either flanker, sb, sr or se for the offense as he is more of an attacking player.
[ Edited by 4x9er on Feb 12, 2016 at 10:37 PM ]

It was a tremendous feat for Hayne to even make an NFL roster. Id wait until hes done something before having the discussion of who else is Rugby would come over next.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,000 for J_Train.
Originally posted by Niners99:
It was a tremendous feat for Hayne to even make an NFL roster. Id wait until hes done something before having the discussion of who else is Rugby would come over next.

What's more NRL players coming over to try out for the NFL got to do with Hayne excelling or not?
  • 4x9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Historically american football came from the parent, rugby so imao it can work both ways, albeit the adjustment, you dont seem to understand, football is football, a gymnast or a basketball player would have difficulties, but a person who has played football and goes to another football code like hayne has done has more success. Now success doesnt mean you become a instant football star, success is showing you can play the game understand it and be able to contribute to what your positional duties are required to do. Hayne has already proved he can contribute.

Also rugby players have to catch, defend, attack, pass and kick sometimes in one fluid motion all at the same time while running.

And the funny thing is hayne is playing in a 11 man team at any one time whereas hes used to playing against 13. Union has 15. Aust. Rules football has 18 players for each team on the field so thats 36 on the field alot more traffic than NFL and you get the 360 ° hits from anywhere.
[ Edited by 4x9er on Feb 13, 2016 at 2:01 AM ]
1000 posts!!!

I'm a vet!!! Yes!!!

Respect please.
  • 4x9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by J_Train:
1000 posts!!!

I'm a vet!!! Yes!!!

Respect please.
Congrats JT
Happy