LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 359 users in the forums

The Rugby Union General Discussion thread

Originally posted by 4x4niner:
Maa bent downward for a tackle and tuitavake just bumped him upward push, Maa will get one back, samoa vs tonga, the pasifika war!

True, true... Considering the abrasive nature in which Ma'a plays the game, he's done well to only get put to sleep twice.
Sevens Rugby - Rio Olympics News

Rio 2016: Spain qualify for Olympic sevens rugby with dramatic win over Samoa

Spain qualified for the Olympic sevens with a dramatic late victory over Samoa in Sunday's repechage tournament final.

The Spaniards won 22-19 with a try in the last seconds to seal the 12th and final spot for this summer's Rio Games.

They join Fiji, South Africa, Great Britain, Australia, United States, Argentina, France, Kenya, New Zealand, Japan and Brazil in the men's event.

WR - U20 Championship - 2016 - Results

Upcoming Fixture (Final / Final Placings)

Quick Note:

All Northern Hemisphere final between Ireland & England. (Well done both teams & best of luck for the final).

Remaining International Results

***(Pacific Nations Cup)***

Fiji defeat Samoa - 26/16

Italy defeat USA - 24/20

Scotland defeat Japan - 26/13

Argentina defeat France - 30/19

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
News

Byron Kelleher arrested in France for 'destruction and domestic violence'

Former All Blacks halfback Byron Kelleher has been arrested for "destruction and domestic violence", French news reports say.

Police in the city of Toulouse arrested Kelleher drunk in the streets on Tuesday night (local time), French newspaperL'Equipe reported.

He was understood to have vandalised a door and attacked a woman who was with him. According to France 3 the woman refused to complain to police "for fear of reprisals".

Stay classy now!
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Jun 22, 2016 at 4:40 PM ]
2016 - Mid-Year - Internationals - 3rd Test - Team Announcements:

New Zealand v Wales - 3rd Test - Squads:

(New Zealand Team for potential sweep)
Starting XV: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, George Moala, Ryan Crotty, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read (captain), Sam Cane, Elliot Dixon, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Charlie Faumuina, Dane Coles, Joe Moody.

Reserves: Codie Taylor, Wyatt Crockett, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Luke Romano, Liam Squire, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Lima Sopoaga, Waisake Naholo.

(Wales)
Starting XV: Rhys Patchell, Liam Williams, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Hallam Amos, Dan Biggar, Rhys Webb, Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis, Luke Charteris, Alun Wyn Jones, Ross Moriarty, Sam Warburton (capt), Taulupe Faletau.

Reserves: Scott Baldwin, Aaron Jarvis, Samson Lee, Jake Ball, Ellis Jenkins, Gareth Davies, Rhys Priestland, Scott Williams.

Australia v England - 3rd Test - Squads:

(Australia)
Starting XV: James Slipper, Stephen Moore (c), Sekope Kepu, Will Skelton, Rob Simmons, Scott Fardy, Michael Hooper, Sean McMahon, Nick Phipps, Bernard Foley, Rob Horne, Matt Toomua, Tevita Kuridrani, Dane Haylett-Petty, Israel Folau.

Reserves: (One to be omitted) Tatafu Polota-Nau, Scott Sio, Greg Holmes, Adam Coleman, Dean Mumm, Wycliff Palu, Nick Frisby, Christian Leali'ifano, Taqele Naiyaravoro.

(England Team for potential sweep)
Starting XV: Mike Brown, Anthony Watson, Jonathan Joseph, Owen Farrell, Jack Nowell, George Ford, Ben Youngs, Billy Vunipola, Teimana Harrison, Chris Robshaw, George Kruis, Maro Itoje, Dan Cole, Dylan Hartley, Mako Vunipola.

Reserves: Jamie George, Matt Mullan, Paul Hill, Joe Launchbury, Courtney Lawes, Jack Clifford, Danny Care, Elliot Daly.

South Africa v Ireland - 3rd Test - Squads:

[Decider]

(South Africa)
Starting XV: Willie le Roux, Ruan Combrinck, Lionel Mapoe, Damian De Allende, JP Pietersen, Elton Jantjies , Faf de Klerk, Warren Whiteley, Siya Kolisi, Francois Louw, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe, Adriaan Strauss, Tendai Mtawarira

Reserves:
Bongi Mbonambi, Steven Kitshoff, Julian Redelinghuys, Franco Mostert, Jaco Kriel, Rudy Paige, Morne Steyn, Lwazi Mvovo.

(Ireland)
Starting XV: Tiernan O'Halloran, Andrew Trimble, Luke Marshall, Stuart Olding, Keith Earls, Paddy Jackson, Conor Murray; Jamie Heaslip, Jordi Murphy, CJ Stander, Devin Toner, Iain Henderson, Mike Ross, Rory Best (captain), Jack McGrath.

Reserves: Sean Cronin, Finlay Bealham, Tadhg Furlong, Ultan Dillane, Rhys Ruddock, Eoin Reddan, Ian Madigan, Matt Healey.
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Jun 24, 2016 at 9:32 AM ]
How the f**k!?!? DAMN! SAMOA OUT??? MY GAWD!?! WTF HAPPENED IMPOSSEEBLE!!!
Originally posted by SportOvaFilmTV:
2016 - Mid-Year - Internationals - 3rd Test - Team Announcements:

New Zealand v Wales - 3rd Test - Squads:

(New Zealand Team for potential sweep)
Starting XV: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, George Moala, Ryan Crotty, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read (captain), Sam Cane, Elliot Dixon, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Charlie Faumuina, Dane Coles, Joe Moody.

Reserves: Codie Taylor, Wyatt Crockett, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Luke Romano, Liam Squire, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Lima Sopoaga, Waisake Naholo.
Nice, i like kerr barlow and daggy.
Originally posted by SportOvaFilmTV:
Sevens Rugby - Rio Olympics News

Rio 2016: Spain qualify for Olympic sevens rugby with dramatic win over Samoa

Spain qualified for the Olympic sevens with a dramatic late victory over Samoa in Sunday's repechage tournament final.

The Spaniards won 22-19 with a try in the last seconds to seal the 12th and final spot for this summer's Rio Games.

They join Fiji, South Africa, Great Britain, Australia, United States, Argentina, France, Kenya, New Zealand, Japan and Brazil in the men's event.

WR - U20 Championship - 2016 - Results

Upcoming Fixture (Final / Final Placings)

Quick Note:

All Northern Hemisphere final between Ireland & England. (Well done both teams & best of luck for the final).

Remaining International Results

***(Pacific Nations Cup)***

Fiji defeat Samoa - 26/16

Italy defeat USA - 24/20

Scotland defeat Japan - 26/13

Argentina defeat France - 30/19

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
News

Byron Kelleher arrested in France for 'destruction and domestic violence'

Former All Blacks halfback Byron Kelleher has been arrested for "destruction and domestic violence", French news reports say.

Police in the city of Toulouse arrested Kelleher drunk in the streets on Tuesday night (local time), French newspaperL'Equipe reported.

He was understood to have vandalised a door and attacked a woman who was with him. According to France 3 the woman refused to complain to police "for fear of reprisals".

Stay classy now!
BRING BACK BUCK BRING BACK BYRON!
BRING BACK BUCK BRING BACK BYRON!

Lol, 4x4... What is it with you & the bad boys?

(Your other man crush)

I was always more of a Marshall fan myself... Byron had a really good mid career in the black jumper & he did represent the Chiefs, but he was always a bit of a meathead & prone to errors late in games for the ABs. (More of a 50-60 minute man or bench player).

I'll never forget him trying to play through a concussion & throwing an intercept pass for a 60 metre try to Jean de Villiers before getting subbed accordingly.

Also the time he had an unimpeded Tana Umaga screaming up outside him for a certain try, only to look at him, selfishly keep the ball & get tackled short.

Sums him up for me... Selfish meathead who was prone to brain snaps. Tough as nails though & loved to compete.
I just know that when Marshall was overwhelmed, Byron would come in and take it to the opposition like Isaac Luke does, gives the forwards direction to work from.
I just know that when Marshall was overwhelmed, Byron would come in and take it to the opposition like Isaac Luke does, gives the forwards direction to work from.

Prime Marshall was a lot better than Kelleher imo & many others, 4x4.

Like I said Byron came into his own later in his career as Justin began to wane a little, but I noticed a trend where Byron would fade later in games & his decision making would begin to be affected.

Aaron Smith may end up being the best we've ever had.
I didn't do a live update for the 3rd NZL v WAL Test as I missed the first 15 minutes. (Gonna watch the full game on replay tomorrow )

The remaining 65 minutes I did see though was superb rugby from the ABs. They were just a class apart tonight.

Israel Dagg has probably locked up the full back jersey for this season. He had an outstanding game.

Beauden Barrett has leapfrogged Cruden for the 10 jersey imo. However he can play almost anywhere in the AB backline. The most versatile player in NZ rugby, he had a terrific game. Barrett was also good with the boot.

Aaron Smith is the best scrum half in world rugby. I can't remember a number 9 with a prettier pass. 50th Test capped off in style.

Ben Smith was top class as usual.

George Moala played a fantastic game until leaving with an arm injury. Hopefully he is ok? I'd love to have him in the team for the Rugby Championship.

Lima Sopoaga looked good off the bench too. Tbh I'd have him ahead of Cruden right now if I was selecting the RC team.

Honestly the whole NZ backline looked like a well oiled machine. Perhaps a little rusty in the last 10 minutes when all the reserves came on, but finished strongly with the Izzy Dagg length of the field try.

Dane Coles had a storming game. He would have to be close to the best hooker in world rugby.

Elliot Dixon had a great debut, very busy around the park.

Brodie Retallick was massive & all over the park as well. It was his 50th Test & he was up for it.

ABs scrum was huge both the starting props & the reserves did well in the set piece & around the field.

If I was to pick out a couple of negatives they would be...

Sam Cane's yellow card which was unnecessary. ABs didn't let in any points though, so no harm done.

Moala's injury.

Naholo replaced Moala at centre & tbh was a bit sloppy with his ball carrying & lost the ball in contact about 3 times. However he did a number of good things as well.

46/6 victory so you can't complain. They held the Welsh try-less as well. NZ sweep the series 3-0...
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Jun 26, 2016 at 3:12 AM ]

England v Australia - 3rd Test

Live Updates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0:00 - Kickoff

10mins - Try England, Dan Cole crashes over / Farrell converts / Adv ENG - 7/0

12mins - Try Australia, Foley scores fortuitously / Foley convert / Tied Game - 7/7

20mins - Try Australia, Haylett-Petty scores out wide / Unconverted / Adv AUS - 12/7

25mins - Penalty Engalnd, Farrell scores / Adv AUS - 12/10

27mins - Penalty Australia, Foley scores / Adv AUS - 15/10

29mins - Try England, Mike Brown touches down / Farrell converts / Adv ENG - 17/15

42mins (40:00) - Penalty Australia, Foley scores / Adv AUS - 18/17

40:00 - Half Time - Australia leads England - 18/17

43mins - Try England, Billy Vunipola scores from the back of the scrum / Unconverted / Adv ENG - 22/18

47mins - Penalty England, Farrell scores / Adv ENG - 25/18

50mins - Try Australia, Hooper stretches out to score / Foley converts / Tied Game - 25/25

55mins - Penalty England, Farrell scores / Adv ENG - 28/25

57mins - Try Australia, Folau scores backing up a strong Toomua line break / Foley converts / Adv AUS - 32/28

61mins - Penalty England, Farrell scores / Adv AUS - 32/31

66mins - Try England, the replacement Hooker Jamie George scores / Farrell converts / Adv ENG - 38/32

69mins - Penalty England, Farrell scores / Adv ENG - 41/32

71mins - Penalty Australia, Foley scores / Adv ENG - 41/35

79mins - Penalty England, Farrell scores / Adv ENG - 44/35

82mins (80:00) - Try Australia, Naiyaravoro scores in the corner / Unconverted / Adv ENG - 44/40

80:00 - Full Time - England defeat Australia - 44/40

(England sweep the series 3-0)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Game Rating: 8.5/10 / Series Rating: 9.5/10

Amazing performance by England to complete the sweep 3-0. Even the Brexit news couldn't prevent them from staying focused on the task at hand. A hard fought game with plenty of big defence & a lot of quality tries. High quality series all around.

[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Jun 25, 2016 at 5:11 AM ]
Other Results

France defeat Argentina - 27/0

South Africa defeat Ireland - 19/13 - (RSA win the series 2-1)

Scotland defeat Japan - 21/16

United Sates of America defeat Russia - 27/0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
News & Results

Racing 92 claim Top 14 title over Toulon despite red card

Racing Metro shrugged off an 18th-minute red card to defeat Toulon in a momentous Top 14 final.

World Rugby U20 Championship 2016: England beat Ireland in final

England secured their third World Rugby Under-20 title in four years with a commanding 45-21 win over Ireland.

- Well done to England U20 winning the 2016 Championship... Great results for both the National & National U20 teams.
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Jun 26, 2016 at 3:14 AM ]
How the f**k!?!? DAMN! SAMOA OUT??? MY GAWD!?! WTF HAPPENED IMPOSSEEBLE!!!

It sure was a shocking result, 4x4... Especially since they won Paris.
2016 - Super Rugby - Round 15 - Fixtures (AEST)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WK 14 - SR - Tally

WK14 - [4x4 - 5/8] [Sport - 5/8]

Total
Sport - 79/108
4x4 - 66/108

(I gave you the winners of the Friday games you missed 4x4)

~~~~~~~~

R14 - Results:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought I'd put this up early since it has been over a month since the last Super Rugby match.

The final 3 weeks of the regular season are here & then it's on the the playoffs... Don't forget to put your tips in 4x4.

A huge clash between NZ conference front-runners the Chiefs v Crusaders kicks of proceedings on Friday 1st July.
Back to the local stuff, late congrats to the
Baby blacks well done!
Share 49ersWebzone