LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Who is the best NBA coach of all time?

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Antix:
While I wouldn't put him as the best, Jerry Sloan gets overlooked for how great he was.

I always found him pretty overrated. Stockton and Malone are two of the all time greats, and to not be able to win a title with them is pretty crazy.

You think it was easy to win a title during that era with the Showtime Lakers, the Bird led Celtics, 6 titles for the Bulls with the greatest player ever, the Bad Boys of Detroit, the Lakers of Shaq and Kobe, and Pop's Spurs?

Lets be real here. NONE of the Jazz teams had more talent that the teams listed above that dominated the years that Malone and Stockton played. They had guys like Gretg Ostertag, Adam Keefe, and Byron Russel starting for them in the 2 years they made it to the NBA finals.

Sadly for Stockton and Malone the Jazz management did not go out and get a 3rd great player to go with those 2. I dont think Sloan's ability as a coach is at all diminished because of his lack of a championship or that he is somehow overrated.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
While I wouldn't put him as the best, Jerry Sloan gets overlooked for how great he was.

My dude Coach Horny is gonna be the next Sloan, without the a*****e factor.

Thats a key factor though.
1 -- Phil Jackson -- No guarantee anyone does just as well or better then he did with the talent he had. GOAT
2 -- Red Auerbach -- Record speaks for itself, dominated his era.
3 -- Greg Popovich -- What he's done in San Antonio is simply remarkable. One of the BOAT. It's no knock on him to say that he isn't the GOAT. So happy he got number 5 last year.
4 -- Pat Riley -- Probably could have won more if not for Michael Jordan and getting burnt out. Loved him on the Lakers and the '06 Heat, disliked him in between.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I always found him pretty overrated. Stockton and Malone are two of the all time greats, and to not be able to win a title with them is pretty crazy.

You think it was easy to win a title during that era with the Showtime Lakers, the Bird led Celtics, 6 titles for the Bulls with the greatest player ever, the Bad Boys of Detroit, the Lakers of Shaq and Kobe, and Pop's Spurs?

Lets be real here. NONE of the Jazz teams had more talent that the teams listed above that dominated the years that Malone and Stockton played. They had guys like Gretg Ostertag, Adam Keefe, and Byron Russel starting for them in the 2 years they made it to the NBA finals.

Sadly for Stockton and Malone the Jazz management did not go out and get a 3rd great player to go with those 2. I dont think Sloan's ability as a coach is at all diminished because of his lack of a championship or that he is somehow overrated.

The Pistons were in the SAME boat as the Jazz. They couldn't get over the hump for awhile either against the Celtics / Bulls, but they did find a way, and it's not like that team was loaded with talent either.

Idk, overrated might be the wrong word to use describing Sloan, but I just never liked him as a person either. Always seemed like that super strict Grandpa

The Pistons were in the SAME boat as the Jazz. They couldn't get over the hump for awhile either against the Celtics / Bulls, but they did find a way, and it's not like that team was loaded with talent either.

Idk, overrated might be the wrong word to use describing Sloan, but I just never liked him as a person either. Always seemed like that super strict Grandpa

I dont know how old you are but that Pistons team was pretty loaded. One of the greatest backcourts ever with Thomas and Dumars, terrific scorers with Aguirre and Vinnie Johnson, a rebounding and defensive stud in Rodman, and a VERY underrated center in Bill Laimbeer. They might have played dirty but they also were a talented group. I just think as a whole that group was just so much more impressive than the Utah roster that Sloan had.

Sloan was just a tough SOB who coached the same way that he played.
Whoever is coaching James Harden

I dont know how old you are but that Pistons team was pretty loaded. One of the greatest backcourts ever with Thomas and Dumars, terrific scorers with Aguirre and Vinnie Johnson, a rebounding and defensive stud in Rodman, and a VERY underrated center in Bill Laimbeer. They might have played dirty but they also were a talented group. I just think as a whole that group was just so much more impressive than the Utah roster that Sloan had.

If Rony Seikaly hadn't failed his physical when the Jazz traded for him we would've had that third player too. Would've been a huge upgrade over Ostertag and Greg Foster at center. Larry Miller was just so cheap in free agency though.
Originally posted by JustinMT:

If Rony Seikaly hadn't failed his physical when the Jazz traded for him we would've had that third player too. Would've been a huge upgrade over Ostertag and Greg Foster at center. Larry Miller was just so cheap in free agency though.

Plus most NBA players dont have any interest in playing in Utah. And by most NBA players I mean black NBA players. We have to draft our talent.

Well, I'm not sure why are you hating on Ostertag then, he was a very good defensive player, great shot blocker (top 50 alltime) and a solid rebounder. Jazz had Thur Bailey (sp?) another good scorer / defender. Mark Eaton (sp?) one of the best shot blockers off all time. You guys also had Horny for a couple years, and he was still good even his last 5-6 years in the league.

Interesting to hear you say that Vinnie was a great scorer, that's a big stretch. and Aguirre was not even close to being the same player he was before joining the Pistons. Bill also could barely even walk anymore in his last couple of seasons, including during those championship runs.

Either way, I don't think there's that much of talent discrepancy between the two teams. Both teams had HOF players in their prime, good coaches and other good role players around them.

Well, I'm not sure why are you hating on Ostertag then, he was a very good defensive player, great shot blocker (top 50 alltime) and a solid rebounder. Jazz had Thur Bailey (sp?) another good scorer / defender. Mark Eaton (sp?) one of the best shot blockers off all time. You guys also had Horny for a couple years, and he was still good even his last 5-6 years in the league.

Interesting to hear you say that Vinnie was a great scorer, that's a big stretch. and Aguirre was not even close to being the same player he was before joining the Pistons. Bill also could barely even walk anymore in his last couple of seasons, including during those championship runs.

Either way, I don't think there's that much of talent discrepancy between the two teams. Both teams had HOF players in their prime, good coaches and other good role players around them.

I totally disagree. The Pistons had many more very good players than Utah did. Yes, Utah had a great PG and PF but Ostertag and Eaton were complete liabilities on offense and Bailey was a good player that never made an AS team in 10 seasons.

Bill Laimbeer could barely walk? Interesting given that he played 163 of the 164 possible regular season games during their 2 title seasons and scored 12 pts and 10 rebounds. I never said that Aguirre was as good as he was in Dallas but he did score 15 pts per game in Detroits title year and was better than anyone Utah had as a 3rd option in my opinion. And Vinnie Johnson wasnt named the microwave for no reason. In the playoffs in one of their title seasons he scored 15 pts per game coming off the bench. He could ignite a team's offense.

I totally disagree. The Pistons had many more very good players than Utah did. Yes, Utah had a great PG and PF but Ostertag and Eaton were complete liabilities on offense and Bailey was a good player that never made an AS team in 10 seasons.

Bill Laimbeer could barely walk? Interesting given that he played 163 of the 164 possible regular season games during their 2 title seasons and scored 12 pts and 10 rebounds. I never said that Aguirre was as good as he was in Dallas but he did score 15 pts per game in Detroits title year and was better than anyone Utah had as a 3rd option in my opinion. And Vinnie Johnson wasnt named the microwave for no reason. In the playoffs in one of their title seasons he scored 15 pts per game coming off the bench. He could ignite a team's offense.

its not even close between utah and detroit teams of that era. sure they had stockton and malone and some role players. we had isiah and dumars in the back court. laimbeer, mahorn, salley, rodman, aguirre and even dantley before aguirre arrived. you'd have to be a homer to say utah was even in the same league.
Share 49ersWebzone