• Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Antix:
I'm going to say Pop. I think his coaching philosophy is going to revolutionize the NBA in the next 5-10 years. You see it already in ATL. Not every team can have 2-3 superstars and the strong international influence makes his principles even more important. The competitive balance in the NBA will even out. I think he'll have changed the game.

Then again another Pop assistant Brett Brown is currently 12-41 in his second year in Philly.

I would love to see how Phil Jackson would do with that roster. Or the Knicks roster. The great Phil Jackson would never take a coaching job that wasnt loaded with the best players in the world though.

How Jackson would do with 3 HOF players? Is this a joke lol........

How he would do with the 76ers or Knicks roster. In other words.. he would suck just like Brett Brown has done. Cant win without talent.

and who's been arguing that point? unless you're saying that popovich or whoever you consider the greatest coach would turn the 76ers into a contender?

Never said that. I just dont consider Jackson to be the greatest simply because he has the most titles. Again, to me he is no better than Pat Riley who also won with incredible talent for 2 organizations. And my point about the 76ers is when JCool made the comment about Brett Brown's coaching record like it somehow diminished Popovich.

How does it diminish Popovich? He is a great coach. All it means is his coaching philosophy might not be revolutionizing the NBA in the next 5-10 years. Phil Jackson has had a few assistants get head coaching jobs and i think all have failed. Bill Belichick is one of the greatest coaches ever and almost all of his assistants have failed as head coaches. Just because Popovich is great doesn't mean his assistants will be great.
[ Edited by Jcool on Feb 10, 2015 at 12:45 PM ]
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Gregg P.
Mark Jackson or Vinny Del Negro
Don Nelson
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
george karl

lol
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Rick Adelman
Popovich won with less, but he also never went on a run of pure dominance. The Auerbach Celtics won 9 titles in 10 years. Jackson's Bulls won 6 in 8 years, and his Lakers won 5 in 11 years with a 3 peat and a back to back. Jackson ended up with 11 titles in 20 years with 2 teams.

Popovich won 5 across a span of 16 years. Im not trying to be that "never won back to back titles" argument guy, but the Spurs never dominated an era. They were very good the entire time, and would become champions every few years.

I would give best coach ever to Phil Jackson. I know he had Jordan, Pippen, Kobe, and Shaq, but you can argue he elevated their careers in the same way they elevated his.

As Niner fans it would be hypocritical to say those 4 made Phil Jackson, but Montana and Rice didnt make Bill Walsh.

As for Auerbach, he went on a legendary run, but they kind of had an unfair advantage with Bill Russell. It was like having Shaquille O'Neal and then going up against high school teams. Different era.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Feb 12, 2015 at 4:06 PM ]
How does it diminish Popovich? He is a great coach. All it means is his coaching philosophy might not be revolutionizing the NBA in the next 5-10 years. Phil Jackson has had a few assistants get head coaching jobs and i think all have failed. Bill Belichick is one of the greatest coaches ever and almost all of his assistants have failed as head coaches. Just because Popovich is great doesn't mean his assistants will be great.

Brett Brown only has a couple of NBA caliber players on his team. Mike Budenholzer, OTOH, who was an assistant with Popovich for 17 years, is getting an Atlanta squad to play way above their heads. Conceptually, he easily runs the best stuff in basketball.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Brett Brown only has a couple of NBA caliber players on his team. Mike Budenholzer, OTOH, who was an assistant with Popovich for 17 years, is getting an Atlanta squad to play way above their heads. Conceptually, he easily runs the best stuff in basketball.

Pop hands down is the best coach ever. I don't know how anyone can say other wise after the beautiful basketball the Spurs show cased in last years finals. The way that team was playing could have beat some of MJs squads and some of Kobe/Shaq squads.

And how different this recent team plays compared to the Spurs of ten years ago only shows how Pop changes it up and succeeds.

Pat Riley also gets props for winning with different times and eras. How different his Show time lakers were to to the lunch box teams of the Knicks and Heat.

I'm pretty sure everyone claiming Phil , are one insane Ray Allen 3 away from changing to Pop. Plus pop has been doing it in such a small market and with aggressive international scouting.
Steve Kerr

Steve Kerr
/thread

• Antix
  • Veteran
While I wouldn't put him as the best, Jerry Sloan gets overlooked for how great he was.
Paul Westhead ...even though it was silly to run an offense so reckless and aggressive , his teams were fun to watch in their search of a 200 point game

I know I was supposed to put the best coach of all time , but Westhead's teams sure did give us some interesting evenings of basketball
While I wouldn't put him as the best, Jerry Sloan gets overlooked for how great he was.

I always found him pretty overrated. Stockton and Malone are two of the all time greats, and to not be able to win a title with them is pretty crazy.

My dude Coach Horny is gonna be the next Sloan, without the a*****e factor.
Share 49ersWebzone