So many barc fans
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 4ML:
Levi's stadium has a terrible pitch.

?

So many barc fans

In soccer - pitch is the grass on the field.
[ Edited by 4ML on Jul 25, 2015 at 2:05 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Levi's stadium has a terrible pitch.

?

So many barc fans

In soccer - pitch is the grass on the field.

No, in England it's called a pitch. Which is originally a cricket term. In this country it's called a field. No need to use another country's term just because they have the popular EPL. We don't call cigarettes f a g s or tell people to come knock us up sometime, so no need to call it a pitch. lol
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Football field is also referred as football pitch all over Europe.

Yes, I know the term was originated in cricket but it's vastly used in football too for decades now.

I use both terms and will continue to do so. Coaches and players use it. So, I don't see a need to stop using it especially when European teams are involved in match.
[ Edited by 4ML on Jul 26, 2015 at 5:35 AM ]

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/other-sports/182828-the-soccer-thread-15-16/#post1

Yes, I know the term was originated in cricket but it's vastly used in football too for decades now.

I use both terms and will continue to do so. Coaches and players use it. So, I don't see a need to stop using it especially when European teams are involved in match.

All over Europe, as in the English speaking nations? Which ones are those that aren't in the UK?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

All over Europe, as in the English speaking nations? Which ones are those that aren't in the UK?

When any of the players/coaches give interviews in English - they often use the word Pitch. Team newspapers and websites have English versions also - and they use the word pitch also.

This is a spanish newspaper website.

http://www.marca.com/2014/01/01/en/football/spanish_football/1388600653.html

Headline: Which pitch is biggest in La Liga BBVA?

...and forget UK or Europe.

This is from Fox Sports in US...

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/levis-stadium-debut-49ers-earthquakes-080414

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Levi's Stadium had less than three hours to go Saturday before the San Jose Earthquakes and Seattle Sounders played the first-ever sporting event on its $1.2 billion grass pitch — a custom Bandera Bermuda blend — and the field was covered with big balls.

----

In short, it's a fairly common term.
[ Edited by 4ML on Jul 26, 2015 at 5:27 PM ]

When any of the players/coaches give interviews in English - they often use the word Pitch. Team newspapers and websites have English versions also - and they use the word pitch also.

This is a spanish newspaper website.

http://www.marca.com/2014/01/01/en/football/spanish_football/1388600653.html

Headline: Which pitch is biggest in La Liga BBVA?

...and forget UK or Europe.

This is from Fox Sports in US...

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/levis-stadium-debut-49ers-earthquakes-080414

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Levi's Stadium had less than three hours to go Saturday before the San Jose Earthquakes and Seattle Sounders played the first-ever sporting event on its $1.2 billion grass pitch — a custom Bandera Bermuda blend — and the field was covered with big balls.

----

In short, it's a fairly common term.

It's common for people to say it when they're trying to sound "football/soccer". It doesn't magically stop being a field and turn into a pitch just because soccer is being played on it instead of football. It's something people do to try and sound cool. If you refer to the grass as a field for the 49ers and pitch just because man-U and barca are playing on it, you're just trying to sound cool. And hey, whatever. If that's what you like to call it then call it that. It's just funny that people try and fool themselves into thinking they're in the cool crowd because they call it the pitch. lol
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Lol @ it being used only in the UK lol

lol at you trying to sound like an english gentleman talking about the pitch. Are you an american? Were you born here? Why didn't you call it a pitch in the Levi's stadium thread? lol
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Jul 26, 2015 at 9:43 PM ]

• 4ML
  • Veteran

lol at you trying to sound like an english gentleman talking about the pitch. Are you an american? Were you born here? Why didn't you call it a pitch in the Levi's stadium thread? lol

Really dude? You're hung up on this? Just admit you didn't know it was a commonly used term among soccer fans and move on.

I just said the conditions are terrible and you can see dirt in the air every time players slide or fall in the Levi's thread. lol - I'm sorry you're having a tough time with this. It's a common term. Nothing cool about it.

This thread is over. Off to 2015-2016 thread
[ Edited by 4ML on Jul 26, 2015 at 9:58 PM ]

Really dude? You're hung up on this? Just admit you didn't know it was a commonly used term among soccer fans and move on.

I just said the conditions are terrible and you can see dirt in the air every time players slide or fall in the Levi's thread. lol - I'm sorry you're having a tough time with this. It's a common term. Nothing cool about it.

This thread is over. Off to 2015-2016 thread

Just admit I didn't know it's called that? Why would I do that? I know perfectly well that it's called that in other countries. I've played and followed the game for over 30 years. I'm just giving you s**t because, like I said, I think it's hilarious when people like yourself use the term. You're trying to be football cool and it's funny as f**k. From when I was playing at 6 years old I have never once heard anybody ever refer to the pitch at a game I played in. They are called soccer fields. Everywhere in the country they are called soccer fields. I have a feeling when you go to different countries you're the type of guy that would start using their accents to fit in better. lol
Share 49ersWebzone