LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

i don't the mind the pick. it's not like you have too many options there. it's a 3 point shooting league now
Ryan Kelly is a f**kin douche, he will fit in perfectly in LA
I'm fine with drafting Matt Bonner in the 2nd Round.
ESPN is reporting that Howard is "unlikely" to resign with the Lakers. Reason given is that Howard doesn't like D'Antoni's system.

So let me get this straight. Lakers fire Coach Brown and have said that Howard is the future of the franchise (after trading away one of the best young big men in the league in order to get Howard). They hire a Coach that runs a system that doesn't fit Howard's game while Phil is publicly saying he wants to come back.

Wow. Not the Lakers of old. Turning into a costly 1 year rental that didn't even result in the Playoffs.
I STILL can't see this dude leaving $30M on the table, no matter how uncomfortable he is with MDA and Kobe.
Originally posted by DaDDieO:
I STILL can't see this dude leaving $30M on the table, no matter how uncomfortable he is with MDA and Kobe.

Does anyone know roughly how much he would save by not paying state tax in Texas? Also, factoring cost of living, it may not be that big of a difference. But, who knows with this guy. Can't beleive any rumors out of his camp, or anything he says.
R Kelly gon piss on you

Originally posted by sacniner:

Does anyone know roughly how much he would save by not paying state tax in Texas? Also, factoring cost of living, it may not be that big of a difference. But, who knows with this guy. Can't beleive any rumors out of his camp, or anything he says.

I think this really is a good reason why Howard leaves. The 30M is just not real. Howard is going to make out better going to Houston assuming he doesnt get hurt and will sign another contract after 4 years.

"If we look at the first four years of the contract, Howard would make $3,692,371.44 more with the Lakers than he would with the Rockets. Adjusting that number for California's state income tax, however, Howard would actually make $1,094, 342.38 more as a Rocket playing the majority of his games in a state with no income tax because he would save $4,786,713.82 in taxes.

As for the fifth year, the Lakers certainly have an advantage in being able to offer Dwight more long-term security, but unless he suffers a career-ending injury he is going to sign a contract after this one, meaning he will get paid for that fifth year wherever he plays. He would most likely have an opt-out, anyway, meaning the fifth year is not really a major bargaining point, again, barring injury. For what it's worth, Howard would pay $1,398,365.83 in state income tax in California if he were to play out the end of that deal.

The other factor involves where games are played. NBA players pay 1/82nd of their income tax to the states where they play, providing those states have state income tax. As a member of the Rockets, Howard would play all of his home games and the highest possible number of his away games in states with no income tax. Texas is obvious, with the San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks in the same division, but there are also two games in Tennessee and two games in Florida, the other NBA states without income tax for a total of 49 games each season. As a Laker, Howard would only play ten games in those states.

The comparison doesn't end with state income tax, however; the cost of living must be considered, as well. Manhattan Beach is the place to live in LA, and high end houses in that posh part of California runs $1,101 per square foot. How does that compare to, say, The Woodlands in Houston, the correspondingly cool place to live? A high end house in The Woodlands would run just $108.00 per square foot, or roughly one-tenth the cost of its counterpart in Manhattan Beach. Additionally, the salary indicator based on cost of living demonstrates that in order to make the equivalent of $20 million in Houston you have to make $30,330,020 to live comparably in Los Angeles."

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-2-why-dwight-howard-chooses-houston#r6o498fjfqwJjx5U.99
Thanks John. If the article is accurate, the housings cost is crazy. I knew it would be a lot, but to see it ten times more is crazy. If Howard has financial people in his ear, which I'm sure he does, I guess the money isn't a big deal.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Thanks John. If the article is accurate, the housings cost is crazy. I knew it would be a lot, but to see it ten times more is crazy. If Howard has financial people in his ear, which I'm sure he does, I guess the money isn't a big deal.

The other factor is this............when you are filthy rich and will still be young enough to sign another contract in 4-5 years what difference does it make? He wants to be the #1 guy, be on a team that fits his style with the right coach, and be happy. Also, to be on a team that can win a title. The Lakers give him none of that.

Houston makes the most sense to me but the ESPN guy thought Dallas was the more likely. You never know though.........this guy could do anything.

Originally posted by socal9er42:
ESPN is reporting that Howard is "unlikely" to resign with the Lakers. Reason given is that Howard doesn't like D'Antoni's system.

So let me get this straight. Lakers fire Coach Brown and have said that Howard is the future of the franchise (after trading away one of the best young big men in the league in order to get Howard). They hire a Coach that runs a system that doesn't fit Howard's game while Phil is publicly saying he wants to come back.

Wow. Not the Lakers of old. Turning into a costly 1 year rental that didn't even result in the Playoffs.

1) The Lakers made the playoffs.

2) They traded Andrew Bynum for Howard, which is a net positive even if it was just a one year rental, and there's still a very good chance that they Lakers get something in return for Howard via a sign & trade.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think this really is a good reason why Howard leaves. The 30M is just not real. Howard is going to make out better going to Houston assuming he doesnt get hurt and will sign another contract after 4 years.

"If we look at the first four years of the contract, Howard would make $3,692,371.44 more with the Lakers than he would with the Rockets. Adjusting that number for California's state income tax, however, Howard would actually make $1,094, 342.38 more as a Rocket playing the majority of his games in a state with no income tax because he would save $4,786,713.82 in taxes.

As for the fifth year, the Lakers certainly have an advantage in being able to offer Dwight more long-term security, but unless he suffers a career-ending injury he is going to sign a contract after this one, meaning he will get paid for that fifth year wherever he plays. He would most likely have an opt-out, anyway, meaning the fifth year is not really a major bargaining point, again, barring injury. For what it's worth, Howard would pay $1,398,365.83 in state income tax in California if he were to play out the end of that deal.

The other factor involves where games are played. NBA players pay 1/82nd of their income tax to the states where they play, providing those states have state income tax. As a member of the Rockets, Howard would play all of his home games and the highest possible number of his away games in states with no income tax. Texas is obvious, with the San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks in the same division, but there are also two games in Tennessee and two games in Florida, the other NBA states without income tax for a total of 49 games each season. As a Laker, Howard would only play ten games in those states.

The comparison doesn't end with state income tax, however; the cost of living must be considered, as well. Manhattan Beach is the place to live in LA, and high end houses in that posh part of California runs $1,101 per square foot. How does that compare to, say, The Woodlands in Houston, the correspondingly cool place to live? A high end house in The Woodlands would run just $108.00 per square foot, or roughly one-tenth the cost of its counterpart in Manhattan Beach. Additionally, the salary indicator based on cost of living demonstrates that in order to make the equivalent of $20 million in Houston you have to make $30,330,020 to live comparably in Los Angeles."

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-2-why-dwight-howard-chooses-houston#r6o498fjfqwJjx5U.99

I don't have the time to find it right now, but Larry Coon actually refuted this piece pretty well, showing that Howard would in fact make more in LA, but it's nowhere near $30M. I'd also argue that the cost of living in Houston is having to live in Houston.

But ultimately...ya...the $30M thing is a myth.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I don't have the time to find it right now, but Larry Coon actually refuted this piece pretty well, showing that Howard would in fact make more in LA, but it's nowhere near $30M. I'd also argue that the cost of living in Houston is having to live in Houston.

How are taxes in Texas compared to California?
Calis are turrible

Pete, if you just look at the first 4 years though wouldnt Howard do better in Houston? The 5th year is guaranteed with the Lakers and not Houston but unless he really goes downhill or gets hurt he will still sign a big deal for that year.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

How are taxes in Texas compared to California?
Calis are turrible

NO state tax in Texas. So I would say its a lot better. LOL
Share 49ersWebzone