LISTEN: 49ers Draft Hits And Misses With ESPN's Matt Miller →

There are 106 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Some dude is trying to get an early extension.

Panda went HAM last night

I WONDER why Pablo decided to get his head out of his ass....

All about the money. He didnt care enough about 2013 to get his fat ass in shape.

I would give him a 2/$24 extension right now, but we know he'd probably get fat again.

It is going to be very tough to give Panda more than 2 or 3 years. I just wish the MLBPA would allow weight clauses to be put into contracts. If the kid keeps himself in shape and is truly devoted to his craft he can be one of the top 3B in the league. Really will be a very tough decision for Sabean.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
maybe Kickham's value for us in the future could be a long reliever

The Giants have several pitchers in their organization that have much bigger upsides. I think Kickham will be lucky to have much value in any capacity. Crick, Stratton, Blackburn, Agosta, Surkamp , Heston.... to name a few with more promise.

I just wish the Giants had ONE stud hitter in their system. Just ONE. Instead they have guys like Gary Brown and Joe Panik. Guys who will never be great hitters in the majors.

I would throw Edwin Escobar, Adalberto Mejia and Ty Blach (who's having a great year for the SJG) in there as well. In fact, I think Blach might be a better version of Surkamp.

In terms of hitters, I think Mac Williamson will eventually be that guy.

Regarding Kickham, I agree with Frisco that the bullpen might be where he eventually adds some value.

Kind of sad though to think that the Giants best hitting prospect could be a 22 year old in A ball hitting .260 and striking out about every 4 times up. I hope he does develop because it looks like Williamson and Villalona are the only 2 in the system with big time power potential.

Context is important. He started off red-hot in the Cal League, got hurt and struggled to regain his form. But in June, he started to get hot and his numbers across the board are up and his K's are down as well. By season's end (which would be his first full-season in professional baseball), he'll probably end up hitting around .290, with 20+ HRs, 80+ RBIs and possibly even 10+ steals.

If he does that, those numbers would be comparable to/better than Matt Holliday's minor league numbers at the same age (who didn't make the bigs until he was 24 and also had similar strikeout numbers). Strictly conjecture on my part, but Holliday is the major league I see the most similarity with in terms of size/tools/abilities.

Posted this about Mac Williamson on July 2nd and turns out it was fairly close. Mac's final numbers:

.292, 25 HRs, 89 RBI and 10 steals (only 1 CS).

I really believe he is a top 5 prospect now for the Giants and by far their best position prospect. ( I need to see a full year from Arroyo). I cant wait to see Williamson progresses next season. If he can cut down his K's he could really be something.
I would give him a 2/$24 extension right now, but we know he'd probably get fat again.

That contract is reasonable with amount of risk the G's are assuming. However, more than that is not a good idea IMO. On the open market, pablo would probably get 5/$75 from some idiot team. (dodgers)
maybe Kickham's value for us in the future could be a long reliever

The Giants have several pitchers in their organization that have much bigger upsides. I think Kickham will be lucky to have much value in any capacity. Crick, Stratton, Blackburn, Agosta, Surkamp , Heston.... to name a few with more promise.

I just wish the Giants had ONE stud hitter in their system. Just ONE. Instead they have guys like Gary Brown and Joe Panik. Guys who will never be great hitters in the majors.

I would throw Edwin Escobar, Adalberto Mejia and Ty Blach (who's having a great year for the SJG) in there as well. In fact, I think Blach might be a better version of Surkamp.

In terms of hitters, I think Mac Williamson will eventually be that guy.

Regarding Kickham, I agree with Frisco that the bullpen might be where he eventually adds some value.

Kind of sad though to think that the Giants best hitting prospect could be a 22 year old in A ball hitting .260 and striking out about every 4 times up. I hope he does develop because it looks like Williamson and Villalona are the only 2 in the system with big time power potential.

Context is important. He started off red-hot in the Cal League, got hurt and struggled to regain his form. But in June, he started to get hot and his numbers across the board are up and his K's are down as well. By season's end (which would be his first full-season in professional baseball), he'll probably end up hitting around .290, with 20+ HRs, 80+ RBIs and possibly even 10+ steals.

If he does that, those numbers would be comparable to/better than Matt Holliday's minor league numbers at the same age (who didn't make the bigs until he was 24 and also had similar strikeout numbers). Strictly conjecture on my part, but Holliday is the major league I see the most similarity with in terms of size/tools/abilities.

Posted this about Mac Williamson on July 2nd and turns out it was fairly close. Mac's final numbers:

.292, 25 HRs, 89 RBI and 10 steals (only 1 CS).

I really believe he is a top 5 prospect now for the Giants and by far their best position prospect. ( I need to see a full year from Arroyo). I cant wait to see Williamson progresses next season. If he can cut down his K's he could really be something.

He'll probably start slow in Richmond like a lot of our prospects do, but he'll eventually figure it out. If he hits ~.275, 20 HRs, 75 RBI and .800+ OPS he will have passed his biggest hurdle and likely be ready for the majors by mid-to-late 2015.

Totally agree about being a top 5 prospect for us now. I go back and forth, but our top 10 looks something like this now:

1.) Kyle Crick
2.) Edwin Escobar
3.) Chris Stratton
4.) Clayton Blackburn
5.) Mac Williamson
6.) Martin Agosta
7.) Adalberto Mejia
8.) Andrew Susac
9.) Christian Arroyo
10.) Kendry Flores/Joan Gregorio
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by SFrush:
I'd rather us bring back Beltran on a two year deal and re-sign Pence than overpay Choo or Ellsbury.

lol wut
I'd rather us bring back Beltran on a two year deal and re-sign Pence than overpay Choo or Ellsbury.

Not sure he'd come back here or not, but that's not a bad idea. I'd be willing to overpay Beltran for two years above market than invest in a long-term deal with those other guys. And it's less about Ellsbury/Choo and more about having payroll flexibility over the next 2-3 years.

Pence, RF - 4/60M - $15M AAV
Tanaka, SP - 5/70M - $14M AAV
Beltran, LF - 2/24M - $12M AAV
Gaudin, SP - 2/6 - $3M AAV
$44M total in new salaries not counting Vogey's option - (That's only $2M more than the combined 2013 contracts of Timmy and Zito)

Pagan - CF
Skoots - 2nd
Belt - 1st
Posey - C
Beltran - LF
Pence - RF
Panda - 3rd
Crawford - SS
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

lol wut

I didn't stutter. I would take Beltran back on a two year deal. The guy can rake.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Not sure he'd come back here or not, but that's not a bad idea. I'd be willing to overpay Beltran for two years above market than invest in a long-term deal with those other guys. And it's less about Ellsbury/Choo and more about having payroll flexibility over the next 2-3 years.

Pence, RF - 4/60M - $15M AAV
Tanaka, SP - 5/70M - $14M AAV
Beltran, LF - 2/24M - $12M AAV
Gaudin, SP - 2/6 - $3M AAV
$44M total in new salaries not counting Vogey's option - (That's only $2M more than the combined 2013 contracts of Timmy and Zito)

Pagan - CF
Skoots - 2nd
Belt - 1st
Posey - C
Beltran - LF
Pence - RF
Panda - 3rd
Crawford - SS
Not bad at all. Nice job with the math.
^^ or maybe:

Pagan - CF
Belt - 1st
Panda - 3rd
Posey - C
Beltran - LF
Pence - RF
Crawford/Arias - SS
Skoots/Arias - 2nd

Along with SPs MadBum, Cainer, Tanaka, Vogey and Gaudin, that's at least a wild card roster right there.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
^^ or maybe:

Pagan - CF
Belt - 1st
Panda - 3rd
Posey - C
Beltran - LF
Pence - RF
Crawford - SS
Skoots - 2nd

Along with SPs MadBum, Cainer, Tanaka, Vogey and Gaudin, that's at least a wild card roster right there.

Im cool with Beltran

Originally posted by Garcia:
^^ or maybe:

Pagan - CF
Belt - 1st
Panda - 3rd
Posey - C
Beltran - LF
Pence - RF
Crawford - SS
Skoots - 2nd

Im cool with Beltran

Ya but is he cool with you?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Ya but is he cool with you?

We go way back.

We will have Belt then Beltran.... heh heh heh

lol wut

I didn't stutter. I would take Beltran back on a two year deal. The guy can rake.

So can Choo and Ellsburu and they aren't 100 yrs old. The giants used to overpay for aging guys, then you are locked into guaranteed contracts, and when they get old and suck, we are right back here recommending new players to get.

lol wut

f*ck him, he left us

lol wut

f*ck him, he left us

This as well.
Share 49ersWebzone