LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

It makes me appreciate the nostalgic moments that we won those 2 championships in such epic fashion and were witness to it, because we may never see it again for all we know, thanks for the special moments giants, and wish there's more to come.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Looks like Buster has a small fracture on his finger tip.

Im starting to warm up to the idea of Posey moving to 3B. Hed still retain some positional value there, and hed be able to play everyday. If hes going to take this kind of beating every year his career is going to be shortened.

He brings so much to the staff and on defense, but in the end his bat is what makes him special. I think Sandoval should be allowed to leave when he hits free agency, and have Posey take over. Hopefully by then one of Sanchez, Monell, or Susac will have emerged.

I would rather move Posey to 1B. Have Belt play LF and bring in a 2B whose has some pop
Originally posted by artiga1:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not sure he'd come back here or not, but that's not a bad idea. I'd be willing to overpay Beltran for two years above market than invest in a long-term deal with those other guys. And it's less about Ellsbury/Choo and more about having payroll flexibility over the next 2-3 years.

Pence, RF - 4/60M - $15M AAV
Tanaka, SP - 5/70M - $14M AAV
Beltran, LF - 2/24M - $12M AAV
Gaudin, SP - 2/6 - $3M AAV
$44M total in new salaries not counting Vogey's option - (That's only $2M more than the combined 2013 contracts of Timmy and Zito)

Pagan - CF
Skoots - 2nd
Belt - 1st
Posey - C
Beltran - LF
Pence - RF
Panda - 3rd
Crawford - SS
Not a bad lineup...but if that's the only move they make, that's a disappointing offseason...

We need power in this lineup and an aging Beltran aint gonna cut it...They gotta open up the checkbook and bring in at least 2 FA's that can provide some pop.

Beltran may be aging, but his 23 HRs this year would put him first on the Giants by a wide margin and his OPS of .853 would also put him first above Posey. His SLG% of .512 would put him comfortably ahead of our club leader Belt at .478 and his 72 RBI would tie him for the team lead with Pence and Panda. Basically, if we signed Beltran, he would be our TOP power hitter.

There's no realistic way they re-sign Pence (one of their top power hitters already), sign a #3 starter (which they absolutely need) AND sign 2 FAs that can provide pop. Besides, if we re-sign Pence, there's really only one other open position on the roster (LF), so it wouldn't require another big signing. IMO, they can only realistically make 3 big signings:

1.) Re-sign Pence
2.) Re-sign Timmy OR sign/trade for another frontline SP
3.) Sign/trade for a FA Left Fielder

The other signings would have to be much smaller in both AAV and years.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM ]
I'm not completely against Beltran, but I just don't think he'll come back here. Crazier things have happened though.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I'm not completely against Beltran, but I just don't think he'll come back here. Crazier things have happened though.

I tend to agree with you on that, but as 99 has pointed out on several occasions, these guys will generally go where they're offered the most money. So if Sabes offers him the best deal, he'll likely take it. And his 2013 numbers (.306/.340/.512 with 23 HRs and 72 RBI) are pretty damn good for an old dude and he ranks just behind Belt in terms of average HR distance so the pop is still there.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM ]

I tend to agree with you on that, but as 99 has pointed out on several occasions, these guys will generally go where they're offered the most money. So if Sabes offers him the best deal, he'll likely take it. And his 2013 numbers (.306/.340/.512 with 23 HRs and 72 RBI) are pretty damn good for an old dude and he ranks just behind Belt in terms of average HR distance so the pop is still there.

Yeah, he'd be a good LF replacement for us and would provide the lineup some much needed power. A 3-7 of Belt, Posey, Beltran and Panda would be pretty damn good.
Yeah, he'd be a good LF replacement for us and would provide the lineup some much needed power. A 3-7 of Belt, Posey, Beltran and Panda would be pretty damn good.

You forgot pence.
With the lefty Corbin going tonight for the Dbags and Petit throwing for us, here's the tank lineup I'm hoping to see:

Perez - CF
Arias - 2nd
Peguero - LF
Pence - RF
Pill - 1st
Sanchez - C
Abreu - 3rd
Adrianza - SS

#SFGrizzlies
Talked to two National League scouts who watched Heath Hembree in Fresno recently and again after his big-league debut in San Diego. Both raved about his aggressiveness and ability to get outs, though they were perplexed because he was throwing 96 in Fresno and 92 in S.D. They agreed Hembree might have wanted to concentrate on strikes more than velo first time out. Sure enough, last night he hit 93-94. This is a power arm. Also, like you, they loved Adrianza's glove and hope to see Bochy start him. - @hankschulman
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Looks like Buster has a small fracture on his finger tip.

Im starting to warm up to the idea of Posey moving to 3B. Hed still retain some positional value there, and hed be able to play everyday. If hes going to take this kind of beating every year his career is going to be shortened.

He brings so much to the staff and on defense, but in the end his bat is what makes him special. I think Sandoval should be allowed to leave when he hits free agency, and have Posey take over. Hopefully by then one of Sanchez, Monell, or Susac will have emerged.

I would rather move Posey to 1B. Have Belt play LF and bring in a 2B whose has some pop

Posey loses alot of positional value at 1B. We'd also lose Belt's defense. Belt isnt an OF, and forcing him out there is a bad idea, especially when hes so good where hes at. He will grow into his power and be an ideal 1B.

Not sure what 2B has to do with it, but 2B with "pop" dont grow on trees.

I have a hard on for hembree
Petit throwing a perfect game through five
Perez with a great catch to save the perfect game hopes

Share 49ersWebzone