2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by dcsham:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
<blockquote class="quote">
Quote:
Ken Rosenthal &#8207;@Ken_Rosenthal Source: Bourn with #Indians: Four years, $48M with $12M vesting option for fifth year if he reaches 550 plate appearances.

Great deal for them if true.

Definately wouldve rather had Bourn at 4/48 than Pagan at 4/40.

Player A - .281 .333 .424 .757 / 124 of 157 (79%)

Player B - .272 .339 .365 .704 / 276 of 340 (81%)

If you sign player B, it'll cost you a first round pick.

Our 1st rounder is what, the 26th overall pick? Not a whole ton of franchise changing stars left at 26, if you play the odds. imo Bourn is a significantly better baseball player than Angel Pagan. Obviously we couldnt have known, or risked waiting out Bourn to get him that cheap, but it just annoys me.

I don't agree that Bourne is a "significantly" better baseball player than Pagan. He can cover hella ground in CF, but I like how Pagan hits the ball and how he fits into our ballpark.

Agreed, I don't think Bourne is a huge upgrade over Pagan in any way. Plus, if you add the component of the clubhouse chemistry that exists and how key Pagan is to that, you might even detract from the team overall considering how big of a factor team chemistry is on this club. It's more of an intangible I know, but it's these little things that contribute to a team of mid-level field talent to win 2 championships in 3 years.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
lulz if we lost our first rounder

"we dont have any talent in our farm system, its ranked last by baseball america, needed that first rounder"

I've realized long ago that anything Sabean does will always be criticized by some folks here no matter what. Lol, if he had signed Bourne to a 12/48 how many people would have been b*tching that he could have gotten Pagan at 4/40 without having to give up a first round pick?

It will never end.
*double post
[ Edited by SFrush on Feb 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM ]
Originally posted by redrathman:
<blockquote class="quote">
Quote:
Ken Rosenthal &#8207;@Ken_Rosenthal Source: Bourn with #Indians: Four years, $48M with $12M vesting option for fifth year if he reaches 550 plate appearances.

Great deal for them if true.

Definately wouldve rather had Bourn at 4/48 than Pagan at 4/40.

Player A - .281 .333 .424 .757 / 124 of 157 (79%)

Player B - .272 .339 .365 .704 / 276 of 340 (81%)

If you sign player B, it'll cost you a first round pick.

Our 1st rounder is what, the 26th overall pick? Not a whole ton of franchise changing stars left at 26, if you play the odds. imo Bourn is a significantly better baseball player than Angel Pagan. Obviously we couldnt have known, or risked waiting out Bourn to get him that cheap, but it just annoys me.

defensively yes, offensively no.

"we dont have any talent in our farm system, its ranked last by baseball america, needed that first rounder"

I've realized long ago that anything Sabean does will always be criticized by some folks here no matter what. Lol, if he had signed Bourne to a 12/48 how many people would have been b*tching that he could have gotten Pagan at 4/40 without having to give up a first round pick?

It will never end.

I don't think anyone was b***hing, I think it was a great deal for the Indians minus losing their first rounder considering he was thought to want $100 million to begin with.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Anyone else have the feeling this might be Belt's breakthrough season? I just have a good vibe about him right now. Hoping so.
Originally posted by Muggins:
Anyone else have the feeling this might be Belt's breakthrough season? I just have a good vibe about him right now. Hoping so.

It's make or break for him this year. He should get 90% of the starts at 1B and move to LF when Posey gets a catching break and moves over also. If he can't do it this year, then it's time to look for other options.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran

It's make or break for him this year. He should get 90% of the starts at 1B and move to LF when Posey gets a catching break and moves over also. If he can't do it this year, then it's time to look for other options.

I think he will definitely be better than last season barring injury. How much better though. He's won a WS as a starter been through a full season seeing all the pitchers and how they pitch him. I have a good feeling. *knocking on wood right now*

I think he will definitely be better than last season barring injury. How much better though. He's won a WS as a starter been through a full season seeing all the pitchers and how they pitch him. I have a good feeling. *knocking on wood right now*

Here's to hoping. He needs to have a big year along with Pence in order for this team to have a chance at a repeat (that and Panda getting unfat and Buster staying healthy).
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Whatever happens... Bruce Bochy. He's the new Joe Torre IMO.
[ Edited by Muggins on Feb 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM ]

It will never end.

I wasnt critisizing Sabean. I was annoyed that Bourn ended up signing for nearly the same amount. Couldnt have known that back when we had to get an OF, but still frustrating. If you take defense and speed into account, Bourn is definately a much better player. He was probably the best defensive OF in baseball last year.

And btw, theres no "e" at the end of Bourn guys...
[ Edited by Niners99 on Feb 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Michael Bourne = Overrated
Angel Pagan = Underrated.

I'll take the the under.
Also, Pagan is a phenomenal clubhouse guy. Everyone loves him.
really hope Nick Noonan steps it up and makes the team as a backup infielder. he was a first round pick in 07 if my memory is correct.
Whatever happens... Bruce Bochy. He's the new Joe Torre IMO.

Bruce the Moose is getting better as a manager. Now is more willing to throw down a bunt sign. steal, hit and run instead having people go for fences all the time.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Michael Bourne = Overrated
Angel Pagan = Underrated.

I'll take the the under.
Also, Pagan is a phenomenal clubhouse guy. Everyone loves him.

I actually think they are both overrated. Flaws in both of their games for guys with 40 million dollar deals.
Share 49ersWebzone