LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Garcia:
I wouldnt make that trade. Not a chance. If the Phillies are THAT down on Dominic Brown then I am not giving up my top position prospect for him.

It could take less.

But if I'm the phillies im asking for brown or one of the giants better pitching prospects.

Sure they could ask. But I doubt they will get one of the top prospects at this point

The Phillies aren't in a position to ask for that much for Brown. As for Gary Brown, no way I'd trade him. I don't care if we signed Pagan, see if Brown can continue to develop and play an outfield of Pagan Brown Pence if Pence is around that long.
Was waiting to see what Scott Hairston got. Looks like 2 yrs/$6 mill with incentives from the Cubs.

Would have liked to see us take a look. Killing us aside, he would have been a nice LF platoon guy (pre-Torres signing) for Blanco.

20 HR in 377 AB, .867 OPS vs. LHP last year.
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Was waiting to see what Scott Hairston got. Looks like 2 yrs/$6 mill with incentives from the Cubs.

Would have liked to see us take a look. Killing us aside, he would have been a nice LF platoon guy (pre-Torres signing) for Blanco.

20 HR in 377 AB, .867 OPS vs. LHP last year.

Would have much preferred Hairston in a platoon instead of Torres. Who knows. Maybe he would have even taken 2 yrs for $5M to play for the World Champs instead of the World Chumps.
Upton gone from Nl west

Now we face prado for a while
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Upton gone from Nl west

Thought we'd have to worry about them next year but then they traded both Upton and Baeur. Looks like it's us and the Dodgers this season.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Upton gone from Nl west

Thought we'd have to worry about them next year but then they traded both Upton and Baeur. Looks like it's us and the Dodgers this season.

Thats true. But, in the bigger picture I think this puts us behind the Braves . Right now I would rank the NL:

1) Washington
2) Cincy
3) Atlanta
4) LA
5) SF
6) STL

I'm sure everyone will disagree and put Giants higher but I think the teams above them really did some great things in the off season while the Giants did not add anything. I question if this team will have enough offense and whether the pitching will stay as healthy and productive as last year.
Upton gone from Nl west

Thats true. But, in the bigger picture I think this puts us behind the Braves . Right now I would rank the NL:

1) Washington
2) Cincy
3) Atlanta
4) LA
5) SF
6) STL

I'm sure everyone will disagree and put Giants higher but I think the teams above them really did some great things in the off season while the Giants did not add anything. I question if this team will have enough offense and whether the pitching will stay as healthy and productive as last year.

Nope, the only team I would say we're possibly better than in this scenario is LA as they haven't really proven anything yet other than they can spend a lot of dough. We'll see I guess. I would also say that the Braves have pushed themselves ahead of Cincy with this move. Their lineup is insane.
Upton gone from Nl west

1) Washington
2) Cincy
3) Atlanta
4) LA
5) SF
6) STL

Nope, the only team I would say we're possibly better than in this scenario is LA as they haven't really proven anything yet other than they can spend a lot of dough. We'll see I guess. I would also say that the Braves have pushed themselves ahead of Cincy with this move. Their lineup is insane.

I think the top 3 are tier 1 and then Giants, Dodgers, and Cards are in next tier. I like the Braves too but Prado will be missed.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Not that this puts us over the top... One thing to consider is a full year of Hunter Pence.

I know people are down on him because he hit .220 with us and looked really bad at times.

But this guy is a career .290 hitter , kind of hard to be a fluky .290 hitter.

I think he will be a big asset to us winning this season. I also look for improved production from Belt, Crawford, and maybe a little leveling off from Scutaro. Pablo, if he can stay healthy, is an all-star caliber player.

Pagan is a serviceable CF and he is taylor made to hit in ATT.

The big ? is LF.

You guys think Peguero is going to make the team?
What other options do we have ?

EDIT: Didn't Joaquin Arias start catching fly balls last year?

Man, if we can get this kid in the lineup... Somehow anyhow.
I love the way he plays. Clutch, good defender, had some power last year when he had none at anytime in his career. Good speed.

Seems like hes finally coming around. What do you guys think? Arias in LF?
[ Edited by Garcia on Jan 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM ]
Hairston only got 2/6. Another platoon option that was better than Torres and very affordable.

1) Washington
2) Cincy
3) Atlanta
4) LA
5) SF
6) STL

The Braves new lineup is going to be dangerous. There rotation is not that great outside of Medlen and an old Tim Hudson though.
Originally posted by SFrush:

1) Washington
2) Cincy
3) Atlanta
4) LA
5) SF
6) STL

The Braves new lineup is going to be dangerous. There rotation is not that great outside of Medlen and an old Tim Hudson though.

If Mike Minor pitches the way he pitched in the 2nd half of the season we have a damn good rotation. Then we get Beachy back around the all star break as well

Minor after the all star break.

.87 Whip 2.16 ERA in 14 starts

Medlen
Hudson
Minor
Maholm
Teheran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SFrush:

1) Washington
2) Cincy
3) Atlanta
4) LA
5) SF
6) STL

If Mike Minor pitches the way he pitched in the 2nd half of the season we have a damn good rotation. Then we get Beachy back around the all star break as well

Minor after the all star break.

.87 Whip 2.16 ERA in 14 starts

Medlen
Hudson
Minor
Maholm
Teheran

Well.. I do like it but there isnt a chance in hell that Medlen can repeat what he did last year.
Well.. I do like it but there isnt a chance in hell that Medlen can repeat what he did last year.

No one said he would
Originally posted by valrod33:

No one said he would

I didnt say that you said he would.
Share 49ersWebzone