LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Andres Torres again? Seriously? I still believe 2010 was a fluke season.

Really looking like Brown is going to get an entire season at AAA.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

I dont have a problem with Brown playing one more year in the minors but I do have an issue with a LF of Blanco /Torres. Its hard to believe that Torres was the VERY best the Giants could do. Injury prone, one good year in his life, and no punch whatsoever. Not exactly what the Giants needed.

I dont have a problem with Brown playing one more year in the minors but I do have an issue with a LF of Blanco /Torres. Its hard to believe that Torres was the VERY best the Giants could do. Injury prone, one good year in his life, and no punch whatsoever. Not exactly what the Giants needed.

They may not be done yet. I don't have a problem with it heading into the season.
Originally posted by dcsham:

They may not be done yet. I don't have a problem with it heading into the season.

Hopefully they aren't done because that is probably the worst LF tandem in baseball.

Hopefully they aren't done because that is probably the worst LF tandem in baseball.

It definitely is. Still think they should try to get Swisher.
I cant say that I am thrilled with this "we are done" mentality that Sabean seems to be having. Look, I know we are World Champs, but if you really take a second to digest the season as a whole (rather than the just the fact that we won the World Series) you will see that we had a glaring hole in left field and we have an extreme lack of power on this team.

This is where I really think Nick Swisher fits the team well. Hes a great (GREAT!) clubhouse guy and would provide some pop for the lineup. I mean, obviously who I REALLY want is Josh Hamilton, but I understand that is a pipedream. Swisher on the other hand is not (or wouldnt have been before we for some stupid reason resigned Torres). I know our payroll has increased, but I really dont see the harm of increasing it another 6 or so million.

Bottom line I am thrilled with our success over the course of the last 3 years, but wish we would have done more this offseason to get better. I dont think we got better this offseason at all. (yes, I know. WS Champs. Shouldnt need to get better. blah blah blah).
Originally posted by stunder49:
why sabean why. this guy is always injured

This is a move for the ladies. To keep butts in chairs.

Seriously though the Douchers can spend all the moneys they want on free agents, but their fan base will always be stupid.
[ Edited by HaiGuise on Dec 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM ]
Blanco and Torres are the best we can do in LF???? On paper, at least, we have a severe power shortage from that position.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Blanco and Torres are the best we can do in LF???? On paper, at least, we have a severe power shortage from that position.

Oh.. its more than just paper.

On paper, we have a sever power shortage from the entire team.

People forget that this team was last in the all of baseball in homeruns last season. I am not saying that we need to hit homeruns to win, and our ballpark comes int to play a little bit, but we needed to improve on this from last year. And all signs point to the fact that we havent and wont.

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I cant say that I am thrilled with this "we are done" mentality that Sabean seems to be having. Look, I know we are World Champs, but if you really take a second to digest the season as a whole (rather than the just the fact that we won the World Series) you will see that we had a glaring hole in left field and we have an extreme lack of power on this team.

This is where I really think Nick Swisher fits the team well. Hes a great (GREAT!) clubhouse guy and would provide some pop for the lineup. I mean, obviously who I REALLY want is Josh Hamilton, but I understand that is a pipedream. Swisher on the other hand is not (or wouldnt have been before we for some stupid reason resigned Torres). I know our payroll has increased, but I really dont see the harm of increasing it another 6 or so million.

Bottom line I am thrilled with our success over the course of the last 3 years, but wish we would have done more this offseason to get better. I dont think we got better this offseason at all. (yes, I know. WS Champs. Shouldnt need to get better. blah blah blah).

Panda, Posey, Pence, (belt?) is probably the most power we have had since bonds.
Only consolation is that it's only for a year. IMO, it's a missed opportunity, first real questionable signing this off-season. I can understand over-paying and giving an extra year to players we've re-signed, but this is depressing.
Originally posted by notsoempty86:

Panda, Posey, Pence, (belt?) is probably the most power we have had since bonds.

Panda and Posey, yes. I wouldn't add Pence in there though.

People forget that this team was last in the all of baseball in homeruns last season. I am not saying that we need to hit homeruns to win, and our ballpark comes int to play a little bit, but we needed to improve on this from last year. And all signs point to the fact that we havent and wont.

Who forgets that? While I would love more power, this team will always be built around pitching, speed, and defense exactly because of the ballpark they play in. I'm not into the gloom and doom of we didn't get any better in the offseason. Belt should be a better hitter with more power this year, Sandoval doesn't have any more hamate bones to break, Pence (I believe) will be better than he was for us last year, and Crawford hit well over the last part of the season. In addition, Pagan is a triples machine and we have him back.

So yes, we are lacking power in LF right NOW, but let's just see what happens before we start "trashing" the Giants offseason if you get my drift. Sabean's best moves usually occur in season as we all know.

Who forgets that? While I would love more power, this team will always be built around pitching, speed, and defense exactly because of the ballpark they play in. I'm not into the gloom and doom of we didn't get any better in the offseason. Belt should be a better hitter with more power this year, Sandoval doesn't have any more hamate bones to break, Pence (I believe) will be better than he was for us last year, and Crawford hit well over the last part of the season. In addition, Pagan is a triples machine and we have him back.

So yes, we are lacking power in LF right NOW, but let's just see what happens before we start "trashing" the Giants offseason if you get my drift. Sabean's best moves usually occur in season as we all know.

Ah yes the trash comment follows me from thread to thread I see.

Look, I dont disagree with your analysis of our players. I get it. I just see a glaring hole in left field and an obvious way to fill said hole. But when Sabean says we are "tapped out," that insinuates that there would be moves to make if we had more money to spend. I think us being tapped out of money, especially after the last 3 seasons is either a blatant lie or our management being cheap (probably a combination of the two).
Share 49ersWebzone