LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
With Melky getting 16 Million for 2 years I can only imagine now what guys like BJ Upton will get. I though Pagan's ceiling was 4/40 but I might be wrong now given this crazy deal for Melky. This is why its so important to draft well. Free Agency is nuts.

The Giants should draft pitching and outfielders only in the first 15 rounds.

I agree if the Giants can lock up their core players, then the draft as you mentioned should be exclusively on pitching and Corner Outfielders. Panik probably could be a decent 2nd baseman two seasons from now and eventually Gary Brown will take over Center Field.
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Nov 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
I agree if the Giants can lock up their core players, then the draft as you mentioned should be exclusively on pitching and Corner Outfielders. Panik probably could be a decent 2nd baseman two seasons from now and eventually Gary Brown will take over Center Field.

lol
Originally posted by Garcia:

lol

what's funny about that?
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

lol

what's funny about that?

Some people think he's regressing down in the minors.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
With Melky getting 16 Million for 2 years I can only imagine now what guys like BJ Upton will get. I though Pagan's ceiling was 4/40 but I might be wrong now given this crazy deal for Melky. This is why its so important to draft well. Free Agency is nuts.

The Giants should draft pitching and outfielders only in the first 15 rounds.

you are gonna overpay in Free Agency no matter who you sign. I get what you are saying though. FA should be used to plug holes and not a way to build a team your core of your team should be home grown players

Yes primarily because you control them for so long until they hit free agency.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Muggins:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

lol

what's funny about that?

Some people think he's regressing down in the minors.

he is not necessarily regressing... just not progressing all that great
not full time. The will add an outfielder

hopefully BJ Upton

lol i cant believe people think B.J. Upton is such a prize. Hes a .245 hitter who doesnt really get on base. Hes got pop and speed, but if you arent in a hitters park, I wouldnt expect him to be worth what he gets. If his contract year was a .246 avg and a .298 ob%...meh. Disappointment waiting to happen imo.
Originally posted by Niners99:
not full time. The will add an outfielder

hopefully BJ Upton

lol i cant believe people think B.J. Upton is such a prize. Hes a .245 hitter who doesnt really get on base. Hes got pop and speed, but if you arent in a hitters park, I wouldnt expect him to be worth what he gets. If his contract year was a .246 avg and a .298 ob%...meh. Disappointment waiting to happen imo.

If you are expecting B.J Upton to be your best player then yes you are in for a huge disappointment. He gets on base enough, his career slash of .255/.336/.422

Bourns career OBP is .339 and he is gonna get more money than upton. Id rather the braves sign Upton than Bourn.
[ Edited by WookieOftheYear on Nov 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
If you are expecting B.J Upton to be your best player then yes you are in for a huge disappointment. He gets on base enough, his career slash of .255/.336/.422

Bourns career OBP is .339 and he is gonna get more money upton. Id rather the braves sign Upton than Bourn.

I love how everyone assumes that you like a player that means the person thinks he will be all-world... lol .350 hitter 40 home runs...

I'm not delusional. I just think he could be a good fit for this team.

Bourns career OBP is .339 and he is gonna get more money upton. Id rather the braves sign Upton than Bourn.

I love how everyone assumes that you like a player that means the person thinks he will be all-world... lol .350 hitter 40 home runs...

He would be a good fit on almost any team as long as you dont expect him to be an MVP. He plays good defense, has Pop and Speed. He has a decent career OBP and is still pretty young. Id be very very happy if he winds up on the Braves next year

• Garce
  • Veteran
He would be a good fit on almost any team as long as you dont expect him to be an MVP. He plays good defense, has Pop and Speed. He has a decent career OBP and is still pretty young. Id be very very happy if he winds up on the Braves next year

i never said anything about him being an MVP....... I agree with what you are saying.

i never said anything about him being an MVP....... I agree with what you are saying.
Im not arguing with you
Wow melky
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Wow melky

When you cheat you win.

Nobody said he would be an MVP, but hes going to get alot more money than hes worth. For 4/40 hes not a bad signing. But he probably wants around 6/75.

At least from the Giants perspective I dont think hes worth it, because of the park. Hes probably a .240, 20 hr, 75 rbi, .320 ob% type guy at AT&T. The speed and D make him an above average player, I just wouldnt want to tie alot of money up in him.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Nov 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone