There are 194 users in the forums

Tour de France 2011

Santa Rosa's Levi Leipheimer lost most of his time advantage on Contador today. That does not bode well for the mountain stages coming up next week.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by foreign49er:
**** Contador, he never should have ridden away from Schleck like that.

Maybe Schleck this year. If that chain didn't fall off and he didn't lose all that time he had a real chance. And his time trialing seems a bit better too. He's as good or better than anybody in the mountains. Andy Schleck has a legit chance this year. I'd like to see him do it. I'm tired of seeing him be 2nd. It's time to win now.

Yeah he made up a bunch of time and that section where Contador kept going instead of waiting for Schleck ended up being the difference. I really hope he wins, haven't had time to sit down and watch any of the race this year though.

I've watched it some. The Versus coverage is great. The first week is pretty good. The 2nd week is great. The 3rd week is awesome. That's usually how I watch. More towards the middle and end. You start to have the green, yellow, white, and dot jersey being faught for. And it becomes much more intersting over time. Each day and week is more interesting.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jul 8, 2011 at 1:15 AM ]
Unbelievable that during Stage 9 a French TV car tried to pass the 5 riders in the breakaway at high speed on a narrow flat road, swerved left to avoid hitting a tree and sideswiped Juan Antonio Flecha off his bike while also sending Johnny Hoogerland cartwheeling through the air right into a barbed wire fence. He could've killed them both. I wonder how badly injured both men are. The driver should at least be charged with wreckless driving.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Unbelievable that during Stage 9 a French TV car tried to pass the 5 riders in the breakaway at high speed on a narrow flat road, swerved left to avoid hitting a tree and sideswiped Juan Antonio Flecha off his bike while also sending Johnny Hoogerland cartwheeling through the air right into a barbed wire fence. He could've killed them both. I wonder how badly injured both men are. The driver should at least be charged with wreckless driving.

The driver needs to be charged - he started drifting off the road when there wasn't really enough room to pass, then over-reacted. Looked like he was going to miss that tree by at least a foot or two. They also need to discipline/ban the rider and/or team that shouldered Contador into the fence.
Amazing stage. Due to recklessness on the part of the driver and then the pelaton as they were going down hill. 2 racers lost due to injury in the crash.

That driver should be suspended. The team given penalty to equal the minutes those two riders lost.
That was a crazy crash. I've never seen anything like that before. The car crashing into 2 was very dangerous. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more actually. But it could have been avioded. Don't follow so closely. He didn't have to miss the tree by 3 feet. He could have cut that more closely and missed the riders IMO.
  • Veteran
I am out of the country and unable to watch the tour. Can someone summarize the stage 9.
Originally posted by 190836:
I am out of the country and unable to watch the tour. Can someone summarize the stage 9.

Crazy. Irresponsible driver. BIG CRASH, maybe the biggest in tour history. almost 80 guys down. Nice breakaway then appropriate finish.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

wow.. did not see.. must youtube
dude that crashed into the fence got the worst of it

i don't blame the driver.. looked like he was trying to avoid that tree.. still a bad crash though

Originally posted by redrose49er:
Really looking forward to it, I'll be at the end of stages 10 and 11, hoping to see a Cavendish win @ 11

Really looking forward to it, I'll be at the end of stages 10 and 11, hoping to see a Cavendish win @ 11

That guy is just an unbelievable sprinter. Maybe the best ever. We are witnessing history.

On the plus side I'm glad Contandor has fallen back a bit. I want to see one of the Schleck brothers win it this year.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:57 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

That guy is just an unbelievable sprinter. Maybe the best ever. We are witnessing history.

On the plus side I'm glad Contandor has fallen back a bit. I want to see one of the Schleck brothers win it this year.

Not only was I at the stage finish, but I went to the start and managed to grab a quick word with the Manx Missile, delighted is an understatement.
Really? Is he a nice guy in person? I didn't know he talks to the crowd.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:29 PM ]
Stage 14 did little to separate the favorites timewise. Voeckler continued to surprise by staying with the overall contenders to the finish. He's a gutsy competitor. Meanwhile, Santa Rosa's Levi Leipheimer dropped another 9 minutes to the fade even further from contention. Teammate Zubeldia is kicking his arse. Why is he a designated team leader again?
[ Edited by SoCal9er on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:36 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone