LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 539 users in the forums

what IS The Greatest Rivalry in the history of major Professional Sports?

So let's keep this to NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL for discussion purposes. Soccer and college sports are a different discussion as far as I'm concerned, and that's not a diss at all.

I just heard Wilbon in SC saying Celtics-Lakers is the greatest rivalry in the history of professional sports and thought to myself, "that can't be right .... can it?"

So what is it?

Yankees-Red Sox?
Giants-Dodgers?
Cowboys-49ers?
Bears-Packers?
i'm not even a baseball fan, but I gotta go with N.Y. / Boston.
Yankees / Red Sox.

And it's not even close.
I think hockey rivalries are the best.

Montreal vs Boston

Red Wings vs Avs

Baseball rivalries don't mean much until late in the season where the games mean more. NBA i don't think has anymore rivalries(that's just my opinion). NFL has Niners vs Cowboys and Pats and Colts.
I think its Yankees-Red Sox for sure. I dont think there is one FB rivalry that even comes close to that. Niners-Cowgirls was big at one time but not anymore. I would probably put Lakers-Celts 2nd.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Yankees / Red Sox.

And it's not even close.

this

and maybe boston / lakers
Raiders vs Pitt or anyone.

Tyson vs Hollyfield

Knicks vs Pacers
[ Edited by Dominate on Jun 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM ]
of all time Giants/Dodgers

for the past 15 yrs Red Sox/ Yanks

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/lists/MLB-top-10-rivalries-042710#sport=MLB&photo=11184034

The Dodgers–Giants rivalry is the longest-standing and one of the most storied rivalries in the history of baseball

The Yanks/Sox rivalry is probably the biggest rivalry going on today because of the media and recent post-season games, but overall throughout baseball history it's gotta be the Giants/Bums for the best rivalry.
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Jun 2, 2010 at 1:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think its Yankees-Red Sox for sure. I dont think there is one FB rivalry that even comes close to that. Niners-Cowgirls was big at one time but not anymore. I would probably put Lakers-Celts 2nd.

I thought John would be the one to get it right.
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Jun 2, 2010 at 1:39 PM ]
Yanks / Sox or Lakers / Celtics

Definitely not Cowboys / Niners. I hate the gurls & every 9er fan I know hates the gurls. But I've met a ton of Cowboy's fans and every one of them lists the Packers as their rival in the 90's. Ask them about current rivalries and they'll just list the other teams in their division. They hate us, but its not the same as our hatred of them.

Dorsey, Rattay, Smith, Dilfer, JTO, Hill, Carr

Some combination of the two. But overall, there were some epic battles here.
LA9erFan vs. 12341

/thread
  • dman
  • Veteran
Boca Juniors and River Plate
Originally posted by dobophile:
Dragic vs. Vujacic
Giants vs. Dodgers
Share 49ersWebzone